RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Skyraider Canopy/cowl (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/4209656-skyraider-canopy-cowl.html)

bfd04 04-26-2006 03:44 PM

Skyraider Canopy/cowl

My uncle gave me a set of plans for a 1/6th(i think)Skyraider. I am wonderinf if anyone would know if and where I could find a canopy and Cowl for this size plane? I looked at the Ziroli parts but I think his will be to big for this plane. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Bob Paris 04-26-2006 11:06 PM

RE: Skyraider Canopy/cowl

Skyshark has a Skyraider kit...and theirs might fit your bill.
Bobby of Maui

bfd04 04-27-2006 06:22 AM

Bob,

Thank you for the lead, it looks a touch small but i will order the canopy and maybe it will be close enough, if the airplane gods are watching over me.

Thanks again

CorsairJock 04-27-2006 06:53 AM

SkyShark Skyraiders are 1/10 scale, making them WAY too small.
I suggest that you determine what scale your's is for sure. Detemine wingspan, find out what what scale span is, and do the math.

Chad Veich 04-27-2006 08:49 AM

A 1/6 scale Skyraider would have a 101.5" span. I don't think the Skyshark stuff is going to fit!

bfd04 04-27-2006 09:54 AM

After some research and some calculationsI have found out it is a 1/8th scale not 1/6th. The plans I have came from Flying Models out of an issue dated in 1968, done by a gentleman named Franz Meier. I feel silly not to have done this research first, but the time I have is limited so I figured I would see if someone else had already gone down this road.

I am still in need of a suggestion as to where to start looking for the canopy. If anyone has any ideas it would be helpful, otherwise I will start getting measurements and try to construct one myself(that won't be pretty).

Thanks again

John

HalH 04-27-2006 10:46 AM

That cowl may be real simple to make. They are perfectly round , not even tapered. What is the diameter ?

Chad Veich 04-27-2006 11:48 AM

At 1/8 scale the span would be about 76 inches. Is that correct for your airplane? If so, a company called 4pi makes, or made, a Skyraider around that size.

PS - Here is a thread that may be of interest: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_58...tm.htm#2164530

Chad Veich 04-27-2006 12:01 PM

There is a gentleman on RCSB who is building a 180 inch Skyraider (no, that's not a typo) and he has found that a 1/3 scale Mustang canopy slightly cut down works perfectly for his airplane. Maybe a 1/7 scale Mustang canopy could be made to work on your 1/8 scale Skyraider. It would have to be one without the canopy framework molded into it. Possibly the canopy Bob Holman offers for the Brian Taylor 69" P-51D could be made to work as they do not have the framework. Just a thought, good luck with it.

Ram-bro 04-27-2006 01:55 PM

4PI has the Skyraider Arf whos canopy would probably fit. I bought their last Skyraider but he may have parts......

bfd04 04-27-2006 05:30 PM

after looking at the canopy I thought the P-51's looked close so I went to my son's and stole the canopy from his TF kit. Other than the frame lines it will work fine if I can't find anything else.

The dia on the plan is 6 1/2" and the cowl is 5" long without the flap collar. I took the one off of my TF Texan but the dia is to big and it is 1/2" short. I will keep looking to see if I can find something that will work.

Thank you all for all your suggestions and help so far it has been very helpful.

John

jteste 04-29-2006 07:58 PM

I have just completed a Skyraider with a 75 inch span, have not flown it yet. I ordered the canopy from skyshark for it and it fits pretty well, comes with the top scoop. I built the cowl so don't know about it. Plane completed at 9 lbs but needed 2 lbs weight in nose. My first experience with Skyshark company. Ordered the parts 3:oo pm CST and recieved them by Express Mail Monday AM on rural route. Did not pay for express shipping. I was extremely pleased with service and the parts as well. May be the same plans as yours.

TLH101 04-29-2006 09:47 PM

SIG used to sell warbird canopies in various sizes. They have no framework.
Fiberglass Specialties sells radial cowls in assorted generic sizes.

hellcat 1 04-30-2006 01:10 PM

I have a Global Skyraider. It's span was 64 inches. I ruined the canopy and used a Sig canopy. I painted the panel lines on and it doesn't look too bad. They make them is different lengths. Just look at your plans and order the size you need. I had a AM Mauler once that I cut one of the Sigs and made the outline come out right.

Chilipecker 05-01-2006 04:49 PM

Your Skyraider is probably close to 1/7 scale if the canopy from a Top Flite P-51 (or their P-47) fits and looks close to what is shown on your plans.
Also, the cowl on a 1/7th scale Skyraider is basically a longer version of a Top Flite or Royal Corsair. (FYI, the old Red Box Top Flite Corsair, the new Gold Edition Corsair, and the Top Flite AT-6 all have the same cowl). You should be able to add length to one of these cowls, or take two and do a little sawing and fiberglassing to come up with a good fit.