Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Skyraider Canopy/cowl

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Skyraider Canopy/cowl

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 03:44 PM
bfd04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skyraider Canopy/cowl

My uncle gave me a set of plans for a 1/6th(i think)Skyraider. I am wonderinf if anyone would know if and where I could find a canopy and Cowl for this size plane? I looked at the Ziroli parts but I think his will be to big for this plane. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Old 04-26-2006, 11:06 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Skyraider Canopy/cowl

Skyshark has a Skyraider kit...and theirs might fit your bill.
Bobby of Maui
Old 04-27-2006, 06:22 AM
bfd04

Bob,

Thank you for the lead, it looks a touch small but i will order the canopy and maybe it will be close enough, if the airplane gods are watching over me.

Thanks again
Old 04-27-2006, 06:53 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SkyShark Skyraiders are 1/10 scale, making them WAY too small.
I suggest that you determine what scale your's is for sure. Detemine wingspan, find out what what scale span is, and do the math.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

A 1/6 scale Skyraider would have a 101.5" span. I don't think the Skyshark stuff is going to fit!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:54 AM
bfd04

After some research and some calculationsI have found out it is a 1/8th scale not 1/6th. The plans I have came from Flying Models out of an issue dated in 1968, done by a gentleman named Franz Meier. I feel silly not to have done this research first, but the time I have is limited so I figured I would see if someone else had already gone down this road.

I am still in need of a suggestion as to where to start looking for the canopy. If anyone has any ideas it would be helpful, otherwise I will start getting measurements and try to construct one myself(that won't be pretty).

Thanks again

John
Old 04-27-2006, 10:46 AM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

That cowl may be real simple to make. They are perfectly round , not even tapered. What is the diameter ?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Chad Veich

At 1/8 scale the span would be about 76 inches. Is that correct for your airplane? If so, a company called 4pi makes, or made, a Skyraider around that size.

PS - Here is a thread that may be of interest: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_58...tm.htm#2164530
Old 04-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Chad Veich

There is a gentleman on RCSB who is building a 180 inch Skyraider (no, that's not a typo) and he has found that a 1/3 scale Mustang canopy slightly cut down works perfectly for his airplane. Maybe a 1/7 scale Mustang canopy could be made to work on your 1/8 scale Skyraider. It would have to be one without the canopy framework molded into it. Possibly the canopy Bob Holman offers for the Brian Taylor 69" P-51D could be made to work as they do not have the framework. Just a thought, good luck with it.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

4PI has the Skyraider Arf whos canopy would probably fit. I bought their last Skyraider but he may have parts......
Old 04-27-2006, 05:30 PM
bfd04

after looking at the canopy I thought the P-51's looked close so I went to my son's and stole the canopy from his TF kit. Other than the frame lines it will work fine if I can't find anything else.

The dia on the plan is 6 1/2" and the cowl is 5" long without the flap collar. I took the one off of my TF Texan but the dia is to big and it is 1/2" short. I will keep looking to see if I can find something that will work.

Thank you all for all your suggestions and help so far it has been very helpful.

John
Old 04-29-2006, 07:58 PM
jteste

I have just completed a Skyraider with a 75 inch span, have not flown it yet. I ordered the canopy from skyshark for it and it fits pretty well, comes with the top scoop. I built the cowl so don't know about it. Plane completed at 9 lbs but needed 2 lbs weight in nose. My first experience with Skyshark company. Ordered the parts 3o pm CST and recieved them by Express Mail Monday AM on rural route. Did not pay for express shipping. I was extremely pleased with service and the parts as well. May be the same plans as yours.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:47 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SIG used to sell warbird canopies in various sizes. They have no framework.
Fiberglass Specialties sells radial cowls in assorted generic sizes.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:10 PM
hellcat 1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Global Skyraider. It's span was 64 inches. I ruined the canopy and used a Sig canopy. I painted the panel lines on and it doesn't look too bad. They make them is different lengths. Just look at your plans and order the size you need. I had a AM Mauler once that I cut one of the Sigs and made the outline come out right.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Chilipecker
My Feedback: (37)

Your Skyraider is probably close to 1/7 scale if the canopy from a Top Flite P-51 (or their P-47) fits and looks close to what is shown on your plans.
Also, the cowl on a 1/7th scale Skyraider is basically a longer version of a Top Flite or Royal Corsair. (FYI, the old Red Box Top Flite Corsair, the new Gold Edition Corsair, and the Top Flite AT-6 all have the same cowl). You should be able to add length to one of these cowls, or take two and do a little sawing and fiberglassing to come up with a good fit.