RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/5120982-new-hangar-9-1-50-p-51-build.html)

microdon2 02-25-2012 10:29 AM

RE: New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build

On my maiden flight (after buying my P51 150 used and fixing it up a little) I had a rough landing on my maiden flight. I was coming in slow (maybe too slow) came down a bit too fast on to the grass run and ripped the left gear, broke the right. I was surprised to see how little strength their was in the wing around the retract. So I just picked up wood to reinforce the retract area and ordered replacement stock retracts.

Seems like most people upgrade to Robart retracts, but that's not in my budget right now. Has anyone had good experiences with stock retracts? With the reinforced wings, will the stock retracts hold up on a grass field?

Capt G 02-25-2012 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's the manifold kit from Tony Howard - well worth it i think.

tailskid 02-25-2012 02:49 PM

I couldn't agree more...it is one excellent 'kit' that makes the front end stand out much better than anything else on the market.

SBrian 02-25-2012 06:20 PM

Thanks I'll order the kits ASAP. My P15 is going to be electric with a sound kit and the exhaust will be a nice finishing detail for the plane.

dhempy 02-26-2012 10:37 AM

Microdon:

There are plenty of notes in this thread about reinforcing the landing gear mounts. I made up a reinforcing piece (see previous page .. #111 about halfway down for dimensions) and glassed the area as per Rip 'N Bank and others.

Dan

microdon2 02-27-2012 09:03 AM

dhempy - thanks. I'll go through the thread looking for LG reinforcement comments.

dhempy 02-27-2012 09:19 AM

Here is something I found in my notes (having read the entire thread).

Dan

Okay, so after a thorough search of all previous threads in this extensive thread, I found reference to beefing up the gear rails from two guys, RipnBank (posts #140 and #461) and Solarmusic (post #329). Bo (RipnBank) glassed the heck out of his, wherever he could reach, and Solarmusic added 1/4-in stock under his rails (dunno if he glassed anything).

Sounds like the problem is areas where the glue didn't cover, and the use of hot-glue instead of epoxy. I don't have any inclination to tear out my gear rails and reglue them, so I think I will go with a combination of adding some hardwood strips (ala Solarmusic) and glassing with strips of fiberglass (ala Rip).

Anybody else see fit to go to this extra trouble on their gear rails?

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...#ixzz0t97LKhdQ

microdon2 02-27-2012 09:34 AM

Thanks for the help.

Rip n Bank 02-27-2012 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: dhempy

Here is something I found in my notes (having read the entire thread).

Dan

Okay, so after a thorough search of all previous threads in this extensive thread, I found reference to beefing up the gear rails from two guys, RipnBank (posts #140 and #461) and Solarmusic (post #329). Bo (RipnBank) glassed the heck out of his, wherever he could reach, and Solarmusic added 1/4-in stock under his rails (dunno if he glassed anything).

Sounds like the problem is areas where the glue didn't cover, and the use of hot-glue instead of epoxy. I don't have any inclination to tear out my gear rails and reglue them, so I think I will go with a combination of adding some hardwood strips (ala Solarmusic) and glassing with strips of fiberglass (ala Rip).

Anybody else see fit to go to this extra trouble on their gear rails?

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...#ixzz0t97LKhdQ
Hi Guys,

Sorry I've been quiet on this thread for so long; I took a long, voluntary sabatical from the hobby after 10 years of intensity, and am back building for, and planning my flying season!

I think my prior posts on this topic focused in on what I consider the key weakest spot in Frankie's wing design: the 1/16" balsa web panel between the rib at the end of the wing spar, and the rib at the inner end of the gear rails. VERY POOR design decision by Hangar 9, whose products I'm otherwise fairly pleased with.

This is why we see Frankie gear rail, or even wing failures on hard landings. There's not enough structure in that 2" gap to transfer the "impact" energy from the gear over to the spar and into the rest of the aircraft which is still trying to move its 16 lb. airframe, ummm, "closer to the ground!"

Of course, prevention, as always, is better than anything and as we all know, Frankie is very intolerant of slow landing approach speeds! Conventional wisdom seems to point to no less than 1/3 throttle on final approach and do expect a large, automatic speed drop when you flair (which ends the "gravity assisted" portion of the final approach airspeed) from those barn-door flaps!

As a side note, my Frankie is currently under repair due to damage during an engine-out, "blind," deadstick landing behind and below the ridge at the Warbird Over the Rockie's Drake Field here in Colorado. Ripped the wing off of her without visibly hurting the wing (will check for hidden damage, of course) but did so by pulling out most of the formers that anchor the wing at the front and back of the saddle!

Amazingly, no other damage, and she's repairable......but it won't be trivial!

Rip

captainron 02-27-2012 02:59 PM

OMG..............!!!!!!!!!!! STOP THE PRESSES! THE KING IS BACK..........!!!!!!!!!! Welcome back to your forum Rip..........The one guy that puts the " N " in Rip N Bank, in that I'm back " N " the Hobby. Life is good again...The spring summer flying season will arrive for sure now.....................

OK, all kidding aside, Bo is a very good friend of mine and this is a good thing for all of us who know him and love him.......................Hope to see ya at WOD Bo, June 9,10,11th........

I LOVE THIS STUFF.....................JUST MY TWO CENTS. CAPTAIN RON

Rip n Bank 02-27-2012 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: captainron

OMG..............!!!!!!!!!!! STOP THE PRESSES! THE KING IS BACK..........!!!!!!!!!! Welcome back to your forum Rip..........The one guy that puts the '' N '' in Rip N Bank, in that I'm back '' N '' the Hobby. Life is good again...The spring summer flying season will arrive for sure now.....................

OK, all kidding aside, Bo is a very good friend of mine and this is a good thing for all of us who know him and love him.......................Hope to see ya at WOD Bo, June 9,10,11th........

I LOVE THIS STUFF.....................JUST MY TWO CENTS. CAPTAIN RON
LOL!

Good to see your post, Capt. Ron! Yep, as promised in our last phone conversation......Rip is back (not sure the "King" thing applies here unless I can, like, tax my subjects!).

Unless I drop the ball, Frankie should easily be flyable by WOD, probably before. Marie, of course, is hanging in there with over 250 flights (no, I stopped counting a long time ago; just an estimate) for the last 8 years, and will probably fly there, also.

Finishing up my SU-34 so I can fly in formation with "Eldher13" soon and will then dive into Frankie's repair big time.

Gee, after that, there's not much to do.....only my KMP B-25 and my Balsa USA Nieuport 28 kit; both fairly simple assemblies......NOT! :)

Rip

captainron 02-27-2012 03:59 PM

I ONLY MEANT KING OF YOUR FORUM RIP.........................

Don't get a big head until your once again have your Frankie with that mighty 220 4 stroker Saito passing my Frankie with that measly little 2.4 Brison............GAME ON BABY!

I LOVE THIS STUFF..........MUST MY TWO CENTS.................CAPTAIN RON

thrawn150 02-28-2012 08:21 AM

Sbrian

I am buying the arf tomorrow and will also be building it as a electric. It will be my second conversion, first one this size. I am looking for a good 4-blade prop for this that will not cost a arm and a leg.

thrawn150 03-01-2012 10:21 AM

Just bought this plane should be at lhs tomorrow.

Whistling Death 07-24-2012 07:16 AM

When did they reissue this plane?

kahloq 07-24-2012 07:58 AM

A couple months ago and I believe in a somewhat limited run to gauge interest

Whistling Death 07-24-2012 08:02 AM

ORIGINAL: kahloq

A couple months ago and I believe in a somewhat limited run to gauge interest
If they had some electric gear available for it that might generate more interest.

kahloq 07-24-2012 08:20 AM

There are electric gear that can fit or be made to fit...but yea maybe the retrac ts for the 30cc P-47 would work.

djstar39 09-03-2012 10:59 AM

Hey folks,

It's been awhile... hope everyone is having a great flying season! I'm in the process of converting basically everything from glow to gas. Was there ever a consensus on what the best gas powerplant for Frankie is? I love Zenoah engines on my bigger birds but have some DLE's in the smaller ones.

BTW, my buddy has a NIB DA-50 that he wants to get rid of but I'm not sure if that wouldn't be too much engine for this bird (is there such a thing?). Anyone have actual experience with a gasser on this bird and perhaps some pictures of the mounting?

Thanks!!

Dave

p.s. Helping me make this decision is my onboard glow that's acting up and the 220 has been back to Horizon once for rough bearings. I finally wire nutted the ever loosening Keleo exhaust nut so that finally got resolved. :-) My gassers just run without fuss.

microdon2 09-03-2012 12:14 PM

djstar - I picked up my H9 1.50 P51 re-owned - has an MVVS 35 in it. Only flew it once - had no muffler, only a header - TOO loud - and so can't judge yet if it's adequate power. But I'm not sure if you can fit much more of an engine inside this without cutting up the cowl.

Would like to hear from others on their gas engines in this plane and whether you feel the power is adequate.

Mike

Capt G 09-03-2012 01:11 PM

DLE 30 fits very well -plenty of power.

GSK 09-03-2012 01:18 PM

GFuys ,
I can say that the DLE30 with the rear carb is really greatwith all the power you would want ., that is unless you want more than two and a half vertical rolls with your Frankie,
I use a 18*12APC prop on mine which gives a good turn of speed .
J-Tec Pits fits OK.
Graeme

djstar39 09-03-2012 03:28 PM

Someone mentioned that the DLE 35 is another option... not in stock at Tower but I could wait and use my $50 off. Any thoughts on the DLE 35 over the DLE 30?

Dave

thrawn150 09-03-2012 04:51 PM

question has anyone had to reduce the throw for the elevator? Mine balanced slightly nose heavy, but kept snapping out of loops. I rechecked CG and finally set D/R to 1/2 inch instead of 5/8 and expo to 30 and snap went away.

GSK 09-03-2012 05:09 PM

forget the instructions , balance it at1 in back from the leading edge of the wing tips . works well for our ones
Graeme