RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Improving the TF GS Mustang Cowl (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6159369-improving-tf-gs-mustang-cowl.html)

larry@coyotenet 09-28-2007 09:06 AM

RE: Improving the TF GS Mustang Cowl

A quick and dirty mod that will help the stock cowl look a lot better is to raise the motor up 1/2" and straighten the cowl mounting to match. The most obvious thing wrong with the stock setup is that the front of the cowl goes down to far, the kit was much worse. It was a carry over from the 60 size mustang which has the same problem. The exhausts stacks need replaced, but can be lived with.

Larry

tony-howard 09-28-2007 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A while back I looked into spinner profiles to see which were the closest to scale (see the sketch below). The baseline for comparison was the profile taken from the NAA microfilm. The source of the various profiles is listed on the drawing - note that the Zinger was taken from a photo and the Tru-Turn from their drawing. Each profile is a close as I could make it using the data I could find.

In actual use, personally I think the Tru-Turn looks best. It figures, it being the most expensive!

On the cowl photos a Gene Barton unit was used primarily because it was easy to mount. (BTW the reason the Barton spinner is so heavy is its turned base plate which is used in place of the usual spun aluminum part most spun spinners use. This allows the mounting screws to be tapped into solid aluminum which is a definate improvement over sheet metal screws into a spum aluminum base plate.)

Tony
Pacific Scaled Aircraft
www.pacific-scaled-aircraft.com

andernamen 09-28-2007 04:17 PM

No doubt you'll sell tons, but I agree, the $100 price tag is too high. For competition minded folks, I'm sure it would be worth it. The TF may not be that close to "scale", but judging from others I've seen, it's not too bad. Just my 2 cents. Happy flying and even happier landings!

willey 10-12-2007 09:01 PM

Tony, How's that cowl coming along?? Looking good!;) what spinner do you have in your photos?

the $100 price tag is too high
Dude, try and make one yourself and you will understand & will gladly pay 100 bucks for this, guaranteed!:D

I guess it all depends on what level of scale you want to be at.

Other options I guess would be: Just deal with what you have??, Walmart, or maybe check with your Local Hobby Shop they might carry them??:D:D:D:D:D

just my 2 cents!

willey

Spychalla Aircraft 10-13-2007 08:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: andernamen

No doubt you'll sell tons, but I agree, the $100 price tag is too high.
You guys need to re-calibrate your estimate on those Tru-Turn spinners. I've bought 3 of these 5 to 5-1/2 inch spinners from Tru-Turn now and they all run roughly $180 each. Worth every penny though when you compare to the junky spinner that comes with the TF. I tried to run one of those on an ARF version I have and it was a struggle. You have to lock-tite all the screws each time you change a prop. After 10 flights I gave it up and sold it on Ebay for about $25. You need a good spinner on the front of these birds and it is worth paying some money for it. Leo

tony-howard 10-14-2007 12:26 PM

Mark, I'm currently working on the parting boards for the new cowl mold.

The spinner is a Gene Barton unit. I chose it for shaping the plug simply because I had one and it was easy to mount. And expendable if anything happened to it. The spinner illustration a few posts back shows it has a good profile but it's too short compared to the full scale unit. I just needed something on the front of the plug to help visualize the contours I was trying to create.

Leo is right on about spun aluminum spinners IMHO (the Dave Brown series being an exception). There have been several pictures online of spinner failures, any one of which could have turned into serious injury.

Tony
Pacific Scaled Aircraft
www.pacific-scaled-aircraft.com

joey_snaproll 10-23-2007 01:18 AM

Hi Tony ,Any progress on my(':D',''))
,I mean on your cowl mould ? just wondering hows it going. Same goes for Leo and his razer back project.

Thanks
Joe

tony-howard 10-24-2007 04:23 PM

Joey

It's coming. Slowly. At this point I have the parting boards done. I need to build a paint stand, then repaint the plug. (Don't ask! All I can say is the fuselage has sure gotten nose heavy with the plug attached to it.)

I should have something to show in a couple of days.

joey_snaproll 10-26-2007 12:07 AM

Cool,Are you just making the cowl plain ,or are you molding in panel lines?Plus when you get to making them ,when you ship them out are you going to have it all cut and ready or will we have to remove the spinner opening ?I have the revo-52 with the fan unit and shroud to fit the 5" cowl,If the front isn't cut out I can easly fit the shroud to it. That's how I will want mine. Thanks Tony

Joe

jharkin 10-26-2007 09:32 AM

I'd be interested in purchasing one when they are done.
Always wanted to build a TF mustang but never liked the look of the nose... And don't feel like hand carving one.

tony-howard 10-26-2007 10:16 AM

The cowl will not have panel lines despite my earlier statement they would. After I had the plug partially stripped with 1/64" tape I decided against it and pulled the tape off. The primary reason is that the panel lines really need to match what's been done on the rest of the plane. Otherwise they'll look strange. So if your panel lines on the rest of the fuselage are shadowed rather than taped, the cowl can be done to match.

Here's my present thinking about cowl configurations.

The cowl kit will be offered in two versions.
* The Basic kit will be the cowl only with instructions.
* The Complete kit will include the cowl, a fiberglass lower section to be used by the builder as a custom fitted hatch, an exhaust manifold kit specifically for this cowl, a pair of laser cut pilot hole drill jigs for the air filter holes and a roll of 1/64" chart tape. (The only realistic way to do the air filter is with actual holes - and some aircraft in service and many current Mustangs use a blank cover.)

The instructions for both cowls will include dimensions for locating panel lines.

I'm hoping this 2 version arrangement will satisfy most builder's needs.

Joey, the front of the cowl will be uncut.

Ram-bro 10-26-2007 11:44 AM

Tony, How had will it be to retro fit your cowl onto an existing build or finished product?

Ram-bro 10-26-2007 11:45 AM

Tony, How had will it be to retro fit your cowl onto an existing build or finished product?

tony-howard 10-26-2007 12:01 PM

The replacement cowl should work fine on a completed Mustang so long as the front of the fuselage itself hasn't been modified. The plug was created over an off the shelf ARF fuselage that nothing was changed on except for a layer of lightweight glass used to protect it.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, two small inverted "C" shaped plywood formers - one on top of the fuselage ears and one below - will need to be added to the face of the firewall to support the corners where the new cowl is bigger than the existing contours. You'd probably want to permanently attach it to the fuselage which means those areas should be either bare balsa or clean fiberglass.

The new cowl will need to be trimmed to fit over the front of the wing fillets on existing Mustangs. (For new construction the cowl can either be fitted under the fillet or on top.)

Ram-bro 10-26-2007 12:40 PM

will you have to remount yor motor?

bigtim 10-26-2007 12:45 PM

tony this has been a great education in the processes you have to go through to get scale accessorys,and it is definately a process.
in the future would you consider making the same mod for the 60 size TF mustang,I have a special edition B-model gold kit I will be building(next year,2009) and would really like a scale looking front end to my stang.
the guys at the field always give my H-9 stang a good hard look when they see your exhausts, they definatly add that extra touch that makes it look different from the stock offering.
I know there is alot of guys that like the bigger planes,but I really like 60 size warbirds,there big enough to see,and small enough to transport,as well as costing less.

tony-howard 10-26-2007 01:15 PM

Ram-bro

Ouch - I forgot to mention that. Sorry. (Sometimes I get so involved in projects like this I forget to stand back and remember where I'm at.)

The engine has to be raised 1/4 inch ... the thrust lines both stay the same. I really didn't want to do that. But when I superimposed an outline of the full sized Mustang over the outline of the Top Flite it was clear it should be raised to help make a realistic looking cowl.

bigtim

Thanks - all this stuff takes a lot of work. And not all of the work is just in designing and making the parts. But I admit to getting a lot of satisfaction out of seeing my efforts on planes like yours. In answer to your question, I may do other cowls. Part of the decision to do one will depend on how the Top Flite GS version sells.

BobH 10-26-2007 01:35 PM

Tony you can either raise the thrust line OR.. change the outline of the top front of the fuse.. I did the latter and it looks way better than stock..

v6goose 10-28-2007 04:40 PM

Hi Tony...

I have just started my '51 and have been pondering how to fix the nose for some time.

I am interested in your cowl, do you have an update on supply time and cost?

Thanks

Goose

dvs1 10-28-2007 07:04 PM

Tony,
I too have a TF arf mustang in the building stage, I have yet to mount the motor and fiberglass the whole plane. I
would very much be interested in buying your cowl as well. Any idea on cost yet.

dvs1 10-28-2007 07:15 PM

Tony,
Is it done yet (just kidding):D I also noticed that you plan to end your new cowl on an actual panel line. That is
great for me and the scale guys that plan to do all the panel lines. The use of a 5 1/2 spinner is great as well as now
I can use the Aerotech display prop and spinner. Can't wait to see some pics of the completed project.

Curt

Billville 10-28-2007 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: willey

the $100 price tag is too high
Dude, try and make one yourself and you will understand & will gladly pay 100 bucks for this, guaranteed!:D

Hey you plug builders . . .

. . . keep on sanding and don't listen to the guys who say it's too much money.

It will pay off down the line. Right now, I know you are saying to yourselves

"Am I on airplane glue or something???

Why did I ever start this project anyway?

What was I thinking???

All this work!

. . .And those cheap $%$%^&% 's say it costs too much. Sheesh! "

Later, if you're like me, you won't even remember all the work and you'll be pulling those checks out of your mailbox and all of those guys will be jazzed with their bit**in' parts.

Thought you could use a pep talk about now.

I'm going through the same thing - building a Reno canopy for a World Models .60 51. Bill

tony-howard 10-29-2007 10:08 AM

I'm still working as fast as I'm able to get the mold finished.

I've made earlier estimates as to when I'd be finished and then failed to meet them so I'm not going to do that any more. Nor make excuses. When I started this thread it was to see if there was sufficient interest to continue with the project. I was pleased to see there was, but was frustrated when my delays turned the thread into a sort of advance vaporware-like advertising. It wasn't my intent to do that.

So all I will commit to now is that I will post here each final milestone as I finish them. And that I'll keep the project my highest priority, second only to my exhaust manifold kit production.

I still think the cowl kit can be produced for around $100 ... somewhat less for just the cowl and somewhat more for the combo kit (cowl, exhaust manifolds and hatch, etc.). Shipping will be variable since the box will be too big for flat rate postage. When I start laying up the cowls I'll post the pricing.

Your input and encouragement has been very helpful and I appreciate all of it.

With that I'm off to the shop.

JL1 10-29-2007 10:16 AM

Please add me to the list of potential purchasers

747drvr 11-03-2007 07:36 AM

Tony,

I'm interested as well . I have an ARC coming and will be doing a Wren MW 44 turboprop conversion painted in a Reno like civilian scheme .

Marc