RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Improving the TF GS Mustang Cowl (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6159369-improving-tf-gs-mustang-cowl.html)

747drvr 01-13-2008 05:45 PM

RE: Improving the TF GS Mustang Cowl

Thanks for the answer . The air filter is not important to me . I'm sure most people will be glad to just get a nice new nose for the P-51.

Marc

tony-howard 01-13-2008 05:56 PM

Andre, I think it could be done, but you would most likely have the split the cowl around the center line of the exhaust stack assemblies. Perhaps making the complete top half of the cowl removable in addtition to a lower engine access hatch.

Also if I recall the Keleo installation I saw correctly, the exhaust stacks apparently have to be located differently than is scale - probably due to space considerations. (The correct location on the Top Flite GS is a little less than 2-1/8" behind the spinner with the bottom of the cut out on the engine thrust line.)

If you decide to use my cowl after I get them into production, I'll be glad to work with you on the your installation.

jeffk464 01-13-2008 07:29 PM

Looking great, I bet you can improve the rest of the fuse to. Why not make the entire fuse composite?

tony-howard 01-13-2008 07:42 PM

Thanks for the compliment jeffk464. Actually the I feel the rest of the fuselage is pretty good. And a full glass fuselage with a cowl would probably be too expensive to sell well.

I appreciate the suggestion.

bigtim 01-13-2008 07:45 PM

I am just hoping all you guys buy lots of these great looking cowls,so Tony will be inspired to make a 60 size version as well, super looking product so far all my club members love the exhaust stacks on my 60 size stang,keep up the good work.

CarverTripp 01-17-2008 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Tony,
It's been many months since I last checked the forums here and Wow!, thanks for the compliments guys! I really tried hard to do a good job in making my p-51 as scale as possible. I had a financial setback which ended my Mustang project last year, but it's still hangin out in the garage waiting to be finished. Your scale cowl project is fantastic and I wish you all the success with it. Moldmaking is an art at which you are highly skilled, very impressive!. Thought I'd share a couple more pics taken just before I had to hang her up.
Best wishes to all,
Carver Tripp

sdougm 01-18-2008 03:54 AM

Hi Carver!!!!
This props is for flight or just static prop?
What size/pitch is?
What brand is?
what engine you go use with it?
Thanks

Doug

tony-howard 01-18-2008 12:22 PM

Carver

It's good to hear from you. I have been wondering how you were progressing on your Mustang. It's a shame you had to set it aside for a while...hopefully you'll be able to get back to work on it soon.

The new pictures are a reminder of just how realistic the GS Mustang can be with carefull customizing. Great pictures.

CarverTripp 01-18-2008 01:31 PM

With Tony's permission, I'll answer Doug's questions?
The prop was originally a Zinger 26X10 cut down to 24". I thought it would be fun to at least roll it around on the ground with this prop, however I could never get it balanced so, if it ever flys it will probably be an 18X10 2 blader. Engine is a Fuji 50EI. The exhaust is funtional.
Carver

sdougm 01-18-2008 02:08 PM

Very thanks Carver and Tony!
... but 18x10 to 50cc engine not is too small?
i think in use 22x10 in my DL-50.
What exhaust is it? homemade? you have more pictures? i thinking in make one for my TF 1/5 P-51...
thanks again

Doug

Billville 02-03-2008 12:48 AM

ORIGINAL: bigtim

I am just hoping all you guys buy lots of these great looking cowls,so Tony will be inspired to make a 60 size version as well, super looking product so far all my club members love the exhaust stacks on my 60 size stang,keep up the good work.

I'm in for a 60 size if it's made. Excellent work, Excellent. Bill

n9331v 02-03-2008 12:30 PM

I am in for the new cowl advise us when they are ready to ship .

Thunderbolt47 02-19-2008 03:25 PM

Progress report!!! . :D

Thanks tony

Kelly

tony-howard 02-20-2008 02:24 PM

There has been progress. Not as much as I would like but, I'm getting there.

Trying to put heat in my shop uncovered a code retriction that will take some time to resolve. My interim work-around it has been to:

Build a warming box for doing the layup in.
Acquire a large used freezer (which I've almost finished gutting so I can add a heating element and thermostat for a warming cabinet to cure the layed up parts in.)

Switch resins, going back to my more familiar epoxy resin. (The high tech resin I was experimenting with just had too much shrink among other things.)

I should have some interesting pictures this week end of the both molded parts and the prototype cowl with its hatch cutout.

This has been the most trying fiberglass laminating undertaking ever had – not because of the project itself, but because of my shop not being heated and our cold winter!

saramos 02-20-2008 03:04 PM

Looks like you guys have really been getting hit with the weather this year. Sorry to hear about problems getting the workshop heated.

Look forward to seeing the photos.

Scott

Ken-h 02-20-2008 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: n9331v

I am in for the new cowl advise us when they are ready to ship .
Absolutly! I am in Tony when your ready to go.

Ken

hemi 02-21-2008 08:35 AM

Tony

Can this cowl be used on the kit version or is it just for the ARF?

Thanks

tony-howard 02-21-2008 10:49 AM

Good question. It should fit. My original planning and layout were done using the kit plans, which included making the templates for the plug you see in the pictures.

However, the final determination would have to come from slipping one over a kit fuselage.

tony-howard 03-07-2008 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good results and one not so good.

When I mounted the second - joined in the molds - cowl, I was pleased that the spinner lines up nicely with the cowl using my jig that replicates the engine. I was discouraged however to discover that the molds have too much right thrust. (Looking back at my notes I see that I doubled the side thrust.) Everything else looks good.

The cowl has to be changed. I'm in the midst of creating new second generation plugs using parts made in the original molds. On those I will modify the spinner face. The top plug is done except for the alteration to the face. The lower plug is currently curing at the moment. The new molds will follow that.

In the picture of just the cowl below, the rear half of the cowl in not joined. This is the way the cowls will be shipped as the rear portion will be adhered to the fuselage sides. Not joining the cowl means the fuselage side will not need to be relieved for the cowl seam. And the cowl fits more easily this way.

Heavy Iron 03-07-2008 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: tony-howard

In the picture of just the cowl below, the rear half of the cowl in not joined. This is the way the cowls will be shipped as the rear portion will be adhered to the fuselage sides. Not joining the cowl means the fuselage side will not need to be relieved for the cowl seam. And the cowl fits more easily this way.
Tony, If the rear portion of the cowl is adhered to the fuselage sides how do you intend to get to the engine?

Todd

tony-howard 03-07-2008 11:48 PM

Todd

This is a very large cowl and if it were made strong enough to be a one piece slip over unit, it would be both heavy and thicker in the aft portions, making it harder to blend into the fuselage at the aft end. Plus a slip over unit would mean the spinner would have to be removed every time acess to the engine compartment was necessary. The cowl is designed to be bonded to the fuselage along the sides, the aft ends and along portions of the top and bottom centerlines. In the other areas it stands clear of the fuselage. This is the only way to get the best possible scale cowl contours which can't be done by ending it at the firewall.

So a portion of the front lower half of the cowl will need be cut away to form a hatch by the builder. It's easy to do with a heated X-Acto knife. Cutting the hatch can in some cases allow the builder to customize it to the engine and muffler projections .

However I hope to add a built-in hatch cut along scale panel line as an option after I get it into production using a technique I used many years ago for an FAI Mustang kit I marketed.

But first I need to get this darned project to the production phase.

8178 03-10-2008 03:15 PM

As expected excellent work! You have captured the essence of the P51 perfectly. Needless to say you’ve done a wonderful job but your in-depth P51 knowledge and decision to raise the thrust line slightly and make it a full cowl were key elements.

saramos 03-11-2008 01:03 AM

Tony, this is looking really good!

Scott

ChuckECM 03-31-2008 11:24 AM

Hey Tony,

Do you have the cowling available for sale yet?

Thanks,

Chuck

tony-howard 03-31-2008 12:20 PM

Chuck

Not yet.

I'm just finishing up the new plugs. I'll be away for about a week. When I get back I'll finish the plugs and start on the molds.

I don't have a delivery date yet. Sorry.