RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7520206-top-flite-60-size-p-51d-mustang-arf-building-modifications.html)

RBean 05-20-2012 06:33 PM

RE: Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some more. Wouldn't up load all at once.

Firepower R/C 05-20-2012 06:38 PM

WOW! Looks great, man. Nice work.

RBean 05-20-2012 06:53 PM

wesjon, Shaft is 8x1mm for the engine and then what ever you need for the spinner. Pictures above. This plane flys almost like a pattern plane. My favorite warbird. Be sure you have plenty of cooling air to the rear for the rear carb carrying hot air from pitts muffler can away from the carb to avoid vapor lock from getting carb too hot. Ask me how I know.

RBean 05-20-2012 07:00 PM

RC Firepower, Thanks. I think my photographer got some good pictures. Not that easy with the camera he had. I've got over 200 flights on this plane now after a frustrating time with engine outs, off field landing, repairs etc, due to heating of carb and vapor lock problems. Now all solved, once I figured out what was going on, fix was not too hard.

wesjon 05-22-2012 03:44 AM

RBean, thanks for the info! Yours is looking great and I love the RAF scheme. Some brilliant shots there. I have opened up almost the entire bottom section of the cowling for cooling so should be good. I see yours is mostly closed up. Hopefully this will allow enough cooling...will let you know! For interest and in case I need to do the same, where did you get those pipes for the cooling?

RBean 05-24-2012 07:17 PM

wesjon, I tried opening up most of the cowl bottom. Didn't work for me. Same problem. The ducts were made from left over flexable exhaust tubing for OS 120. I think flexable small plastic electrical conduit for auto supply might work.

iflircaircraft 05-29-2012 01:46 PM

Did my Maiden over the weekend. Only trim needed was two clicks of down elevator. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at it's over all flight performance. I'm pulling her with a OS 95V and it has plenty of power. I found the flaps to be very helpful as I tend to land hotter without using them.
I had some engine problems and was getting frustrated until I changed to newer fuel which made all the difference.
She's a keeper.

Tom

wesjon 06-01-2012 12:22 AM

Congrats Tom! Sounds good. Where is your cg set?

Cheers
Wes

iflircaircraft 06-01-2012 03:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My CG is at 5 1/2 and laterally balanced as well. I'm going to install a fueling valve. Right now I'm using a 3 line set up to the tank and it's causing me to clamp the tank to carb line during fueling to prevent flooding. With the engine inverted and most of it hidden under the cowl it is a PITA to clamp the tank to carb line.

Mustang Fever 06-01-2012 05:54 AM

Tom- Looks good with that new style 4S muffler OS is using. Do you think it sounds better than the old ones?

Also, I was wondering what kind of rpm you're getting with that 15x8 prop?

iflircaircraft 06-01-2012 06:37 AM

To tell you the truth I really don't know the RPMs since I haven't put the tach to it. The muffler gives it a 'throatier' sound.
On my 60 Corsair the 95V with a 14x7 3 blade will turn about 9K (tached) . I would expect a few more R's with a 2 blade. Both engines are new so I expect an increase in the future.
I'm still breaking the engine in so running it about 1/4 turn rich.

Tom

Springer 2 06-01-2012 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: iflircaircraft

My CG is at 5 1/2 and laterally balanced as well. I'm going to install a fueling valve. Right now I'm using a 3 line set up to the tank and it's causing me to clamp the tank to carb line during fueling to prevent flooding. With the engine inverted and most of it hidden under the cowl it is a PITA to clamp the tank to carb line.
I you look back in the thread you will see a discussion on CG and 5.25 is where it should be. Check it out before you maiden, I lost my first one being tailheavy using recommended CG. Good looking bird.

Mustang Fever 06-01-2012 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine's at 5-5/8, the max recommended, and shows no signs of tail heaviness. I do have it a touch nose down at that, and I use max recommended elevator travel, with a lot of expo to make it less sensitive: -65% on the Futaba 6EX. It will spin as long as I let it and recover in less than one turn by just relaxing the controls.

I wonder if many guys are running into the landing gear effect- this bird definitely needs to be CG'd with the gear RETRACTED, as the CG shifts aft when so configured.

Springer 2 06-01-2012 02:18 PM

Your CG looks great on the stand inverted and gear extended. I have had two of these Mustangs and love to fly it. With allot of messing around I found 5 1/4" flies great, try it as if it is two far forwad it will still land but would guess you will find it very even handling in all respects and get your expo back in line. My hands trembe and I fy with 45% expo with a soft fee I like. Just my expierence. Love to hear if you try it. Happy flying.

iflircaircraft 06-01-2012 02:36 PM

I've had 5 flights with my CG @ 5 1/2" with the gear retracted and didn't see any tail heavy traits. All my throws are as recommended by the manual except rudder as I always like as much as I can get there especially with tail draggin warbirds.
One point to note is when on roll out let the tail come up and increase the throttle steadily and let it come off the ground with just a tad of elevator. If you force it up your asking for trouble. If you have a short runway use as much as you can before lifting off.
It's much like a big 8 cyl in a car. If u stomp on the throttle you will feel the engine rock. If you increase the throttle smoothly and steadily you won't notice any engine rock.

Tom

Springer 2 06-01-2012 02:57 PM

I also like to take of any scale plane including jets using allot of runway as it is scale and does not need any big movements to get it in the air, Happy flying, I am now building Top-Flite P-47 razorback giant scale. I have had great luck with TF products, I also fly a TF 60 size Jug, nice plane. Happy Mustanging, have you seen the Aero-works P-51B 50cc plane, Hummm.

Mustang Fever 06-02-2012 04:28 AM

I drool whenever I think about that Aerworks bird.

ccollins61 06-03-2012 03:39 PM

Does anyone have some spare wing guns I could purchase? I buggered one up working on a modification experiement. As best I have been able to determine, you cannot buy them separately. If you can, and someone knows where, I'd love to hear!

Thanks!

Chuck

chandley43231 06-04-2012 02:12 AM

i hve a set off mine never put them on im in wmaa club let me know im off cleveland ave bye minerva park
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

ccollins61 06-04-2012 11:04 AM

Excellent! I didn't know anyone else in the club flew this plane! I was at the field Sunday tuning this and another bird. Too windy for my flying skills, however.. Maybe we could meet up at the field and I could get them from you there?

chandley43231 06-04-2012 04:00 PM

yea bro ill be up there tommorrow night at about 4 30 for the tuseday night leasons with mike barbee he has been helping me with my mustange i even did some video with him on my u tube channel of chandley43231 i put a 20 dle on my bird an its gas all the way

chandley43231 06-04-2012 04:05 PM

ccollins do you have any pictures of your mustange???
if so post plz<div>
</div><div>
</div>

Airnondas 06-06-2012 05:57 PM

Hi Guys, I have no picture, but how about a video.
First flight for the new YS 115 engine. Running really rich, on a windy day with a good cross wind.
All I can say is this plane and engine, is a match made in heaven. Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y423...e_gdata_player

Airnondas 06-06-2012 06:12 PM

Hi here is one more video, with my Topflite YS 115 and my buddy is flying the Hanger 9 P-51 bluenose with a YS 110

I am still running very rich, and before I can make it to the strip I run out of fuel. I knew I was going to overshoot the runway, and that it was not going to be a pretty landing, so I quickly sucked up the gear.

My buddy with the Bluenose, his engine quit just before landing but was not quick enough with the gear switch, and the gear ripped out taking a lot of the wing with it. Will require some work, she will fly again.

Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clihB...e_gdata_player

Springer 2 06-06-2012 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Airnondas

Hi here is one more video, with my Topflite YS 115 and my buddy is flying the Hanger 9 P-51 bluenose with a YS 110

I am still running very rich, and before I can make it to the strip I run out of fuel. I knew I was going to overshoot the runway, and that it was not going to be a pretty landing, so I quickly sucked up the gear.

My buddy with the Bluenose, his engine quit just before landing but was not quick enough with the gear switch, and the gear ripped out taking a lot of the wing with it. Will require some work, she will fly again.

Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clihB...e_gdata_player

Luv the HD and Blue skies, looks like the fun we all fly for. The YS's really do a job, nice.