RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7520206-top-flite-60-size-p-51d-mustang-arf-building-modifications.html)

Shaun Evans 02-06-2013 06:14 PM

RE: Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Hi,

On a VERY soft version of a hard landing, both my main gear went aft and ripped the leading edge of the wing up. Everyone there was shocked at the damage given the way the landing looked. Disgusted...[:'(]

KaP2011 02-06-2013 07:06 PM

Very sorry to hear. Makes me worry about the gear on mine which has nothad themaiden flight yet.

badazzgti03 02-07-2013 06:11 AM

Wow that sucks man....Thank happened on my wreck. Gear mounts never broke they just ripped out of the wing structure and destroyed the leading edge. I rebuilt the whole front leading edge around the gear structure, and strengthened the structure too. I do have to say this model was was built with the wrong kinda wood in the wrong places. A lot of balsa around the gear structure. Replaced it with plywood.

badazzgti03 02-08-2013 06:16 AM

A little update....waiting on a TT 4" spinner

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...psaf65a004.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps72766af8.jpg

raptureboy 02-09-2013 10:50 AM

Very nice job on the conversion. I hope there's no gas in that can in the backgroundhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ey/msn/eek.gif

OldScaleGuy 02-09-2013 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

On a VERY soft version of a hard landing, both my main gear went aft and ripped the leading edge of the wing up. Everyone there was shocked at the damage given the way the landing looked. Disgusted...[:'(]
Sorry to hear this.
What actually failed? Was it the landing gear or the structure of the plane?

Shaun Evans 02-09-2013 05:31 PM

Hi,

It was the leading edge that split. The gear mounts popped loose and took the soft balsa leading edge and ribs with 'em.

badazzgti03 02-11-2013 06:51 AM

Thanks man!! I happy I'm finished. Just gotta do some graphics on it now....No there is no gas in that can...Actually just made it too with the fittings and fuel pump on it.
As for the gear mounts you "NEED" to beef that area up or will will have issues of breakage.

raptureboy 02-11-2013 07:34 AM

Thanks for the warning, I see there was an addendum listed on the TF site regarding the landing gear issue and reinforcing it back in 2008. I just went through rebuilding the mounts on my P-40 because of the crappy job they did on that design and I'm installing electric retracts from SonicElectric http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchan...egory_Code=ACCI wonder when they will learn to invest a little more thought and engineering into critical areas like landing gear mounts.

badazzgti03 02-12-2013 06:41 AM

Yeah that's one of top flites weak points! Their is a video going around on youtube of these things being put together. they are all hand built on an assembly line and sometimes certain areas don't get glued correctly and there is where you will have the issues. kinda like the wing breaking issues on there cessna 310.

merric 03-18-2013 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is my conversion to a b model

vt-flier 03-21-2013 11:00 AM

Decisions decisions decissions.... hmmm

ok, I reinforced the retract rails and ordered my robart retracts and struts so that's taken care of so the only thing left to decide is which engine to go with.
Option # 1 YS-120ac
Option # 2 Magnum 91XL
My initial plan was to go with the YS but the more I read and think the more worried i get about all the extra weight. The YS has gobs of power but it also weighs a ton, with muffler a whopping 34oz! Plus all the added weight I'll have to put in the tail to get the correct CG this is going to be one heavy airplane! I have a magnum 91 in my TF AT-6 and it hauls that pretty good but an AT-6 is no Mustang and a Mustang HAS to have SPEED!
So here's my questions... Will the YS be too heavy for the airframe or to make flying and landing fun? or Will the Magnum be enough to make a fun airplane?
A little background... I've been flying for over 10 years so I consider myself a pretty good flyer. I'm a scale/sport flyer and my current everyday flyer is a Revolver 70 with a DLE-20 in the nose. BTW, that was option #3 but i already have the magnum and YS sitting on the shelf and I'm sorry but you can't beat the sound of a four-stroke in a warbird on a wide-open pass.

After reading all 93 pages I see the YS-120 mentioned more than the magnum but not by much.

Thanks for any help.
Mike

raptureboy 03-21-2013 11:52 AM

Sell the other 2 and buy anothe DLE or one of the new Valley View RC 20's. They are going for 189 right now. http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/gas-engines/xyz.html The DLE ways less than an OS 1.20 4s so why not go that route? Thats whats going in my 51.

ThunderBoat42 03-21-2013 12:56 PM

I'm waiting in my P51 to get here and it's like agony :D   <div>Going with the YS here.  Like you, I have one on the shelf and there are plenty of people using it so CG is not an insurmountable problem.  the YS120SF I have even has a supercharge 'whine' at the upper RPM range - fitting for the mustang (sounds pretty awesome on the Ultimate too). </div><div>I will build it 'as it comes' and modify as I go.   Well I will put different wheels on it out of the box.  Later add the robart struts.   P51 number 2 is going to be the ESM that I will glass the wing and finish with 'flite metal'  </div>

jetjockey 03-21-2013 01:55 PM

I built my Top Flite P-51 Arf right out of the box with some minor mods - beefed up the main gear mounts, and used Springair retracts, Robart P-51 oleo struts, 3.25" scale wheels, and hung a YS 140 Sport on the nose. Lots of torque on takeoff, but unlimited vertical. Great flyer, and a lot of fun to fly. Go ahead and put the YS 120 on the nose, you'll have to add a little tail weight, but not much to balance it. I think I had to add about 4 oz to get mine to balance.

Regards, Les

ThunderBoat42 03-21-2013 02:59 PM

There is a post way back where someone used a 200 Saito with flight video. YS is my favorite glow engine above a 40.  20 to 40 ... K&amp;B

vt-flier 03-22-2013 07:44 AM

Thanks Guys, I think I'll stick with the YS, doesn't sound like the weight should be too much of an issue. I've been converting all my Rx batteries to LiFe so maybe I'll just use a big ole 5-cell NiCd tucked in the tail to help with the balance issue. No sense carring around dead weight. I'm sticking to the manual on this one with the only mod I'm making is to the landing gear. I have a GS P-51B in the basement that I've been working on for the past couple years that is getting all the special treatments. This 60 ARF was a b'day gift from the wife so I'd have a mustang to fly while work continues on the big one. I guess she does listen when i talk about airplanes (sometimes ;) )

thebluemax 03-22-2013 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Vt-flier,
I have aYS-120 in mine with a performance speciality muffler witha RC Specialities adapter. I also havetheA123 battery pack in the rear air scoop. Mine blanced at5 inches with no weight in the tail. I think it needed less than an ounce in the tail to get it at the point they recommend.it has been a while since I balanced it.

Now I still have not flown mine.So I cannot give a flight report. I was having plunger issues with my YS.Even the replacement parts was aproblem.First itwas too much fuel then not enough. Then the stem on the new plunger parts from YS were too short.I got the right size plunger in there and I think it is fixed. But I have not had a chance to fly her due to the weather being crappy, health issues, and other things getting in the way. I hope to finally get her in the air this spring.

ThunderBoat42 03-22-2013 11:19 AM

WELL...... I am sitting here hoping the grown up santa (UPS or Fed Ex - doesnt matter... they both bring us our 'toys') ... with my TF P51. Off work today, Daughter at friends playing (spring break) and rain here in the Southeast,.
I am going with the YS also. I have 2 ready to go for the two Stang projects. The 120 for this one and the 170 on a belt reduction unit for the bigger ESM thats getting full treatment to include 20" 4 blade SOLO prop.

In reading through this awesome thread I can conclude that it would be great if TF reps would take a read and make mods as needed - ie: grear.

I am thinking I need to order a set of Robarts for this one. There are discussions of 2.. the 608HD and the 609. But no conclusive indication of which one would be best. The Robart wed site indicates an 85 deg main (551 or 591) yet there are post early in that say they have compared the 90 deg to the kit supplied and the 90 deg would be applicable. So... to those who have switched to a different gear... (I am leaning toward mechancal or an eletric I can later use on the ESM) what is working to get the wheels tucked in?

THere are post about 3.25" and 3.5" wheels. I guess either would work with the 3.5 a little snug.

There are post (Corsair Jock) saying that it needs a little down trim and he slaved his elevator to the throttle based on throttle position... I think my 8UAF will do that. I have been using that transmitter for 16 yrs and never have tried it... but it makes sense

CG.... many are reporting the 5 3/4 is a little far back... reports at 5" to 5 1/4" seem to be a conservative good number.

THis thread has existed for a long time... WHO is still flying theirs since 08

My engine is awating the planes arrival. *grin*<br type="_moz" />

Duplicator41 03-22-2013 12:37 PM

<span style="font-size: small">Make sure you have ground clearance for your Solo prop before you invest all that money. Else you might sandpaper the prop down to size using the runway.

Cheers,</span>

ThunderBoat42 03-25-2013 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This thread was started in 2008 and STILL provides useful information!! Santa arrived today... first impression - it's smaller that I was expecting. Funny, years ago, I would have thought wow, this is huge.. There are so many reports of how great it flies and its definately easy to transport... so odds are I'm digging in. *grin*

I'm beginning to think the 16" prop will be a little big.... but get it on it's legs and we will see.
<br type="_moz" />

ThunderBoat42 03-25-2013 06:11 PM

Have you tried these retracts yet? I like them

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

Thanks for the warning, I see there was an addendum listed on the TF site regarding the landing gear issue and reinforcing it back in 2008. I just went through rebuilding the mounts on my P-40 because of the crappy job they did on that design and I'm installing electric retracts from SonicElectric http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchan...egory_Code=ACCI wonder when they will learn to invest a little more thought and engineering into critical areas like landing gear mounts.

raptureboy 03-26-2013 05:49 PM

Ibought the 90deg rotatators for my P-40 and Iam returning them now for a refund. Ihad to send them back for repair because one was barely able to lift the gear with a wheel on it even before I got them mounted. Then they returned them and the other one did the same thing so I decided they are not reliable enough. Iguess Igo back to my old Robarts for now.

KaP2011 03-26-2013 06:03 PM

I've used the E-Flite 60-120 retracts with good results in a 7.5 lb Ultra Sport for several months now. I've thought of trying them in the Mustang but I'm not sure how they would hold up in a 10 lb airplane.

I'm still waiting for good weather to maiden my P-51. After reading of YellowAircraft's problem with his I'm thinking I need to go back and beef up the mounts. I thought TF had that issue fixed, guess not.

Bob Paris 03-27-2013 10:04 AM

Hay ThunderBoat42,
I still have mine in one piece...and still flyable... : ) Lado retracts and Robart struts...K&B 1.00 for go juice.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui