RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7818487-cmp-bf109f-building-thread.html)

BQuartucy 08-07-2008 12:47 AM

CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

UPS notified me that the CMP BF109F will be delivered tomorrow. This feels just like xmas eve, except that Santa doesn't arrive till late afternoon.
My plans for the bird are as follows.
Engine: OS 1.60 2 stroke inverted with onboard glow, and from the look at the aussie's pics, cut slots in the spinner for a 3 bladed
MS prop.
Radio: Futaba 14MZ
Gear: Robostrut Mains, Robart 85 degree throw, with retractable tail wheel. The 14 allows for a retract time from end to end of
25 seconds.
Pilot: Blue Box Desert pilot.
Details: There is a website that has a plethara of pics of the 109, plus I have the book about "Assi" Hahn and the several
airplanes he flew.
So who is going to get the ball rolling?

"It's never to late to have a happy childhood!!!!"

NoFlaps 08-07-2008 05:10 PM

RE: CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

No Way!!!
I can't believe that plane is finally on the market... I'll be following your thread as closeley as my addiction to this "hobby". Keep us informed at every move.
:D

geebeezracer 08-07-2008 08:36 PM

Just got mine today. I ordered it a month ago. Seems like I`ve been waiting for this thing for over a year now but it was worth it!. The box it comes in is huge! When I opened it I found that everything was very well packed. I unpacked everything and found that all the parts are perfect and the covering is nice and straight.This plane is huge! I think CMP really out did themselves on this one. The paint finish is very flat and the markings look pretty good. Not 100% correct but those can be reworked. The split flaps are cool and have a rounded front edge where they tuck into the wing.

All in all it`s a nice kit that will be fun to build and to add all kinds of scale details!

NoFlaps 08-07-2008 09:28 PM

Dude, please post some pics...i can't wait to see it!

BQuartucy 08-08-2008 08:33 PM

Spent the day researching the plane. The closest I could come to the CMP version was ship #5 Werke Nr.5749 that Hauptmann"Assi"Hahn flew when he was Gruppenkommandeur of III Gruppe, Jagdeschwader 2 "Richtofen" St. Pol, Northern France.
This is detailed in Profile Publications #184, and the book by Jerry Crandall, titled, Major Hans "Assi" Hahn The man and His Machines.
The major differences are the yellow cowl and rudder color, the white and RLM 70 Black-Green spinner,unit badge and personal emblems, fuel type, swastika,and 31 victory markings on the rudder.

kahloq 08-08-2008 09:31 PM

Mine will be arriving on Monday the 11th. It will be an electric conversion using a 1900 watt turnigy 6364-230 outrunner on 10s 4800mah lipo with probably a 20x11 prop.
I already have an Eric Hartmann Dragon/Blue Box 1/6th figure that will be the pilot.

NoFlaps 08-09-2008 11:11 AM

I think i'll have a 35 or 45 cc gasser in mine~ [8D]

NoFlaps 08-12-2008 12:10 AM

geebeezracer,

Please post pics and any other feedback, such as distance from firewall to prop hub, and cowling dinensions so we can figure out what engines will fit.
Thanks! [8D]

paladin 08-12-2008 07:55 AM

how are the retract mounts put in? are they close to the skin on the fuse end and set into the wing on the wing tip and to allow for the angle of the strut in a me109?

what are you guys planing to use for retravts? are you going to attempt to get the scale oleo angle?

Joe

kahloq 08-12-2008 09:14 AM

I got mine yesterday. There was some damage on the wing saddle on one side and its not minor

NoFlaps 08-12-2008 10:11 AM

Not minor, meaning the damage was bad ? was it packed poorly or the shipper ?
Hope you can fix it with not tto much effort.

G-Pete 08-12-2008 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: kahloq
I got mine yesterday. There was some damage on the wing saddle on one side and its not minor
DANG![:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

geebeezracer 08-12-2008 11:51 AM

I`ll try and get some photos up soon. Been busy with a P-51. The more I look at the BF-109 the more I like it. It has a few issues like the trailing edge thickness. The size of the underwing radiators are a bit small. I plan on getting a detailed cockpit from dbalsa and modifying this plane quite a bit but overall I`d say it`s a good start. Not sure about what retracts to use. The way CMP has it set up the gears would not be at the correct angle so for those wanting the right look it will take some work. As for the engine I plan on useing a RCV but it seems like the front of the plane is big enough for just about any engine to fit inside. The spinner is huge. It`s like half a soft ball!

G-Pete 08-12-2008 12:50 PM

a year of waiting and then that! DANG...

I sorry for you man

But as I know you it WILL be ready for the WBOR

Happy landings
G-Pete

kahloq 08-12-2008 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: NoFlaps

Not minor, meaning the damage was bad ? was it packed poorly or the shipper ?
Hope you can fix it with not tto much effort.
The damage is bad enough that it also has internal damage on the wood support along the inside of the fuse. There are a total of 5 cracks on this side of the plane and the wing saddle one is the worst. There was no external box damage so probably damaged when packed into the box
Can I fix it? Well, depends on your level of visual acceptance. Sure i could patch it from the inside, but the cracks themselves would still be visible on the outside, especially with some of the paint chipped off.

I have contacted Nitroplanes about it and they requested pictures. So I took some and emailed them to the email address they provided on the phone. I also posted on the nitroplanes support forums under the ARF or RTF sub forum. I have not gotten a response back yet.
I am debating on whether to buy another plane all together from the other distributor ( Ak-models) just so I can get the plane ready for WOTR in late Sept. The manual makes it look like it should be a somewhat easy build, just kinda complex in a few areas(the split oil coolers flap/spoileron). If I did this, I could make the damaged fuse into a glow plane and basically repaint it into another scheme and just simply not detail it as much. I like this idea some, but not too kean on having to purchase another $299 plane just to get ONE ready for warbirds over the rockies. I dunno how fast nitroplanes will(if) service this issue.
I dont exactly have a glow motor lying around to use either. That would entail yet another expense unless I used the saito 125 from the german spitfire I have. This plane also needs to be at WOTR...so if I did that, Id have to get another motor for it or convert the Spit to electric. I have a speed control I can use if I did this, and would only need like a Power 90 or 110 to accomplish this. However, thats half the cost of a glow motor already so again Id have to order a motor from hobbycity to make this work as well(about 2 weeks to get it and would cost about $80 with shipping).
Not sure what to do at the moment.

NoFlaps 08-12-2008 01:57 PM

Man, That stinkc...I sure hope they take care of you on that.
i've already requested to order another spinner for this, but my plane hasn't arrived yet so i hope they answer e-mails at nitroplanes.
can you please post more pics of the rest of the plane while you have your camera oput ?
Thanks!

:D

KentuckyColonel 08-12-2008 02:29 PM

I have had some luck in my dealings with Nitroplanes, and hope you do too. Bottom line, the damage is just not acceptable! Keep us informed on how they treat you. I am VERY satisfied with my recent dealings with A-K Models.

Oosiksmith 08-12-2008 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got mine in today, as scheduled. The box was a little munched at one end, but I got lucky and there didn't seem to be any damage anywhere. Also, all parts seem to be present, but I haven't done a thorough inventory yet.

I hope you have luck with getting the parts you need. I have CMP's 140-sized P-51, also purchased from Nitroplanes, and it came with the wrong flaps....after a quick phone call and an email follow-up I had the replacement flaps in about four days with no further problems. Good luck.

The exhaust stacks are cool, but I wish the wing was fully sheeted.

Tim

NoFlaps 08-12-2008 04:27 PM

Holy Smack!!!
I'm sooo excited ~:D
I can't wait for mine to arrive!!!!!

kahloq 08-12-2008 05:27 PM

Well...I figured 24 hours was enough for them to respond and they didnt. So, I called them back up.....they didnt answer the first time I tried today....but they may have simply been away from the phone.
Anyhow...spoke with someone and they checked to see if they had received the photos I had emailed. I was put on hold and then he reported back they did and had looked at them.
After being put on hold twice again, the guy did say they would send out a replacement fuse. Good. Now....lets hope it doesnt take them forever to get around to it. This is a problem when a company develops a less then good customer service rap, no one expects they'll jump right on it and fix the problem right away. Now, hopefully they will, and if they do, I will happily make note of that. If they dont, well, it wont help their image any, thats for sure.
I dont like being negative about a company I've done minimal business with. I have ordered small stuff before(like a couple 1/6th pilots) and did receive them, but it seemed like it took 3 weeks.

Now....we'll see what happens, but since they didnt ask me to return the box I can at least get started on the wings and get them finished. Hell, I might install some wing tip lights since I'll probably be waiting at least a week to 2 weeks for the replacement fuse to arrive(and thats if I dont have to REMIND THEM). <Man sux to have a perceived poor reputation for customer service doesnt it? Ppl kinda just hammer "you".

ticketec 08-12-2008 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: BQuartucy

UPS notified me that the CMP BF109F will be delivered tomorrow. This feels just like xmas eve, except that Santa doesn't arrive till late afternoon.
My plans for the bird are as follows.
Engine: OS 1.60 2 stroke inverted with onboard glow, and from the look at the aussie's pics, cut slots in the spinner for a 3 bladed
MS prop.
Radio: Futaba 14MZ
Gear: Robostrut Mains, Robart 85 degree throw, with retractable tail wheel. The 14 allows for a retract time from end to end of
25 seconds.
Pilot: Blue Box Desert pilot.
Details: There is a website that has a plethara of pics of the 109, plus I have the book about "Assi" Hahn and the several
airplanes he flew.
So who is going to get the ball rolling?

"It's never to late to have a happy childhood!!!!"

Hey mate,

i believe the me-109 never had a retractable tail wheel....

thanks

dave

Oosiksmith 08-12-2008 06:23 PM

Hey Dave,

I thought I had the same problem you had with a missing rudder, but I found it in the cardboard insert that was over the tail. Maybe yours was taped in there like mine was.

I too am looking up tailwheel configurations trying to figure out how the tailwheel will work (the F's had a partially retracting tailwheel). Hurry up and finish that F-16 already and start the 109 so the rest of us can just copy what you do and buy your mod parts.

Tim

mobyal 08-12-2008 08:55 PM

Want to watch this one

kahloq 08-12-2008 09:52 PM

I have to give props to Nitroplanes. I just checked my email and there is already a msg from UPS stating that Nitroplanes has given them a package and provided me with a tracking number. Delivery is scheduled for the 15th. I just spoke with Nitroplanes earlier today obviously, and at about 4pm MST. Now I have to call that good customer service.

dragonfly60 08-12-2008 09:53 PM

G'day All,
I seem to be in the same boat as several others....My 109 arrived several weeks ago..but too many projects on the go already and I want to dedicate some serious time to this bird when I start!!! The worst thing is I have a Saito FG36 gasser sittin here waitin ta go in!! Man I want to hear this thing run:) Can someone confirm which retracts will fit this plane? (don't feel like spending just as much on the retracts...then have to do some major surgery to get em ta fit[:o])

Cheers, Paul.