RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9452979-knowledge-quiz-warbird-wiz.html)

deatonbt 02-12-2011 06:46 AM

RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">Hansgeorg B&auml;tcher</font>

Ernie P. 02-12-2011 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: deatonbt

<font size=''2'' face=''Arial, Verdana, Helvetica''>Hansgeorg Bätcher</font>
That's the man. Along with fighter ace Hartmann and Stuka pilot Rudel, bomber pilot Batcher stands at the top of the list of German WWII pilots. You are up, Sir. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What pilot do I describe?

Clues:

(1) Certainly one of the highest rated pilots of WWII; but of that group, almost certainly the least well known.

(2) He flew the Me-262

(3) He also flew the Do-23.

(4) He flew the first jet bomber; the Ar-234.

(5) But, most of the time, he flew an He-111.

(6) He survived the war.

(7) He logged 658 combat sorties.

(8) Probably the most noted bomber pilot.

Answer: Hansgeorg Bätcher

Hansgeorg Bätcher: WWII Bomber Ace of Aces
While Allied bomber crews were rotated home after 25 to 35 missions, their German counterparts were logging sorties in the hundreds.
By Sigmund H. Klaussner
Allied bomber crews generally were relieved after 25 combat missions during World War II. In stark contrast, one German bomber pilot, Major Hansgeorg Bätcher (pronounced Hans Gay-org Bet-sher), logged 658 combat sorties. Bätcher, who was 31 years old when the war ended, had a singular career that paralleled the rapid development of the aircraft he flew into the record books. He began in the open cockpit of a twin-engine Dornier Do-23which he considered a "barge"and ended the war at the controls of the world's first jet bomber, the Arado Ar-234.

Bätcher's career, although outstanding by any standard, was largely a reflection of the wartime requirements imposed on German bomber pilots in comparison with their Allied counterparts. Thanks to largely inept planning and even poorer leadership, German combat crews were denied the luxury of rotation. Adolf Galland, legendary commander of the Luftwaffe fighter arm, once said, "Our pilots and crews fought until they died."

Hansgeorg Bätcher (13 January 1914 – 23 April 2003) was a highly decorated Oberstleutnant in the Luftwaffe during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognize extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Hansgeorg Bätcher was captured by American troops in May 1945.

Hansgeorg Bätcher carried out 658 combat flights during World War II - a higher number than any other multi-engine bomber flier. The three top aces of the Luftwaffe are Erich Hartmann (fighters), Hans-Ulrich Rudel (bombers), and Hansgeorg Bätcher (bombers).
Born on January 13, 1914, Hansgeorg Bätcher received his flight training at Fliegergruppe Tutow between November 1, 1935 and March 3, 1936. With the rank of a Leutnant, he served with I./KG 157 (later I./KG 27) from December 1, 1938. He flew with this unit, as an Oberleutnant, against Poland in 1939. Later, Bätcher participated in the invasion of France, whereby he was shot down and captured near Rouen on June 5, 1940.

After the surrender of France later in June 1940, Bätcher was released. He served some time as a flight trainer, and on May 19, 1941, he returned to first-line service - with Kampfgruppe 100 "Wiking", equipped with Heinkel He 111 bombers.
On July 1, 1941, Bätcher was appointed Staffelkapitän 1./K.Gr. 100, and shortly afterward, this unit was posted to the Eastern Front - where it would remain.

Bätcher participated in the difficult air offensive against Moscow in late summer and the fall of 1941, and he describes this in Black Cross/Red Star, Vol. 1. Bätcher was awarded with the Bomber Pilot's Clasp in Bronze on August 23, 1941, in Silver on September 3, 1941, and in Gold on November 8, 1941. K.Gr. 100 was designated I. Gruppe of KG 100 "Wiking" on December 15, 1941.

In early 1942, I./KG 100 was brought in to help combat the powerful Soviet fleet in the Black Sea, and Bätcher became the most successful bomber pilot during this campaign, sinking or damaging several Soviet naval vessels. On March 1, 1942, he was promoted to Hauptmann. In early summer of 1942, Bätcher took part in the aerial asssault against Sevastopol, and he carried out his combat flights numbers 177 through 300 against this target between May 20, 1942 and July 2, 1942. All of this is described by Bätcher himself in Black Cross/Red Star, Vol. 2.

Following missions over the Caucasus during August 1942, he participated in the fierce air battle over Stalingrad. During this battle, one of Bätcher's crewmembers were killed. When Stalingrad was surrounded by the Red Army, Bätcher carried out hazardous supply flights to the besieged German Sixth Army. For those feats, Bätcher was awarded with the Knight's Cross on December 21, 1942 (following 442 combat flights).
In the summer of 1943, Bätcher took part in the last German summer offensive on the Eastern Front - Operation Zitadelle, or The Battle of Kursk. He also flew missions over the contested Kuban Bridgehead. On July 30, 1943, Bätcher completed his 500th combat flight.

During the severe retreat on the Eastern Front, Bätcher maintained a steady combat activity, logging his 600th combat flight on November 21, 1943. On November 1, 1943, when I./KG 100 was redesignated as I./KG 4, Bätcher was promoted to Major and appointed Gruppenkommandeur. His 650th combat flight was carried out on February 9, 1944.

After completing 658 bomber missions - most of which he had carried out as an He 111 pilot on the Eastern Front - Bätcher was posted to the Staff of Luftflottenkommando 4 on May 6, 1944. He remained there until December 5, 1944, when he was tasked to command III./KG 76 - equipped with the first Jet bomber, the Arado Ar 234 - against the Western Allies. Bätcher's last bomber missions were made piloting an Ar 234 Jet against British and American troops in February 1945.

On February 27, 1945, he was appointed commander of Me 262-equipped KG(J) 54, which he led until the end of the war.

Hansgeorg Bätcher has provided an invaluable assistance to our work on "Black Cross/Red Star". Today he holds his former enemies during the war in high respect, and in his foreword to "Black Cross/Red Star", Vol. 2, Bätcher writes: "I am sure that [this book] will contribute to dismantling the remaining hostility between our peoples."

deatonbt 02-12-2011 01:40 PM

Here is mine. What is the first American fighter to have the same layout as the Boulton Paul Defiant?

glasscock 02-12-2011 02:58 PM

Not fighters, but the Lockheed Hudson and Ventura had the same turrets.

deatonbt 02-12-2011 03:58 PM

You're thinking along the right lines.

glasscock 02-12-2011 06:35 PM

The TBM Avenger, but it was classified as a bomber.

As far as fighters, I'd say the Northrop P-61 Black Widow.

deatonbt 02-12-2011 06:50 PM

Here is mine. What is the first American fighter to have the same layout as the Boulton Paul Defiant?

Clues:

(1) It was a pursuit plane.

Top_Gunn 02-13-2011 06:04 AM

Well, the P-70 (night-fighter version of the A-20) had the turret, but it was a twin, so I don't know if that counts as the "same layout."

deatonbt 02-13-2011 06:17 AM

Clues:

(1) It was a pursuit plane.

(2) One engine; crew / gun placement

scalebirdman 02-13-2011 10:36 AM

Consolidated P-30?

Ram-bro 02-13-2011 10:48 AM

tbf avenger

deatonbt 02-13-2011 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: scalebirdman

Consolidated P-30?
You got it. It is the P-30. The P-30 was also the first production pursuit plane to have retract landing gear and a fully cantilever wing.

You're up.

scalebirdman 02-14-2011 10:29 AM

Won't have computer available for several days... I'll pass on posting question

DeferredDefect 02-14-2011 03:09 PM

Okay then - here we go:

- This series of aircraft was designed to cope with destroying Zeppelins during the Great War.

- Both models (two variations were built) were triplanes

</p>

jeffEE 02-14-2011 04:18 PM

Colud that be the Armstrong Whitworth FK5 and FK6? Or the Balckburn Triplane?

DeferredDefect 02-14-2011 07:06 PM

So much for my "difficult" question! <div>Yes, it's the F.K.5 and F.K.6</div><div>
</div><div>Both were unusual triplanes with the centre wing being much longer than the top and bottom. They would provided assistance to bombers and shoot down Zeppelins.</div><div>The manager of the company refused to allow the first to fly, and it was subsequently modified. </div><div>The F.K.6 was called the "Flying Battleship", but critics suggested that a battleship would have less trouble getting off the ground! It wasn't a real success - you can look it up in a book called <span style="font-style: italic;">The Worlds Worst Aircraft.</span>..</div><div>
</div><div>JeffEE - Your up! </div>

jeffEE 02-14-2011 08:02 PM

OK....I don't know if this has been asked, and I guess I am not going to go back thru ever page to find out. Let me know if its a repeat.

How many people were at the Wright brothers first flight on December 17, 1903. And what were their names. Not too hard, I don't think.

glasscock 02-15-2011 04:08 AM

Orville and Wilbur, of course. In addition, John T. Daniels, W. S. Dough, A. D. Etheridge, W. C. Brinkley of Manteo, and Johnny Moore of Nags Head. Daniels took photos. So, that would make the total of seven. BTW, not really warbird related.

jeffEE 02-15-2011 04:14 AM

They are the seven. And I thought that since the Wrights sold the military the first planes and a military man was the first to die in a plane crash, it sort of fit. Too much of a stretch? Then I am sorry. All yours glasscock.

glasscock 02-15-2011 06:07 AM

jeffEE, Good enough explanation for warbird-relation for me... Next question should go fast, but will offer more clues if needed.

This large scale production pusher biplane had four wheels for mains and a tail skid. Over two hour flight endurance.
Name the aircraft that was an amalgamation of two earlier design features by its designers.

a65l 02-15-2011 06:18 AM

P-30.... Hmmmm.... I was thinking something with a turret, which was one of the real distnguishing charactaristics of the Defiant.... the Blackburn Roc, and the SU-2 although it was designated as an attack plane from the get go.....

glasscock 02-15-2011 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This large scale production pusher biplane had four wheels for mains and a tail skid. Over two hour flight endurance.
Name the aircraft that was an amalgamation of two earlier design features by its designers.

Additional clues:

2-seater
Equipped with 1 to 2 machine guns in observer's cockpit
Could also have light bombs or Le Prieur rockets
Attached photo shows a test launch of the rockets from a Nieuport plane

glasscock 02-15-2011 12:55 PM

Last clues today...

Wings are different spans.
Max speed 84 mph
Max take-off weight 2469 lbs.

glasscock 02-16-2011 01:02 PM

Todays clues...

One of the designers:
-studied to be a painter
-was a championship cyclist
-set many official aviation records for both distance and duration

SimonCraig1 02-16-2011 03:13 PM

I'm guessing the Farman HF.27 as I can only find the spec of the HF. 20. (Henri Farman was a champion bicyclist.)