RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9452979-knowledge-quiz-warbird-wiz.html)

Ernie P. 04-17-2012 11:22 PM

RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

I expected this to be all wrapped up by now, but I think you guys are dancing all around the answer. This should help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What active warbird do I describe?

Clues:

(1) Introduced in the mid 1960s.

(2) Still operational today.

(3) Flies very specialized mission.

(4) Involved in aerial refueling.

(5) Fewer than 100 built.

(6) Based upon a much more common transport aircraft.

(7) Very involved in education and training activities.

(8) The original aircraft were developed by modifying existing aircraft during the Viet Nam conflict. They are still in use today.

Ernie P. 04-17-2012 11:26 PM

As a bonus: There were some very popular photographs of this particular aircraft making their way around the internet last year. Thanks; Ernie P.

adavis 04-18-2012 01:41 AM

McDonnell Douglas C-9

=Adrian=

a65l 04-18-2012 03:33 AM

AC-130

The Raven 04-18-2012 03:57 AM

Boeing 737 (Yes, seriously)

Ernie P. 04-18-2012 11:22 AM

Some of you guys are very, very close; but no cigar. Yes; I'm looking for an exact answer. Some of you have gotten close, but not quite there. A careful reading of the clues will reveal the answer. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(8) The original aircraft were developed by modifying existing aircraft during the Viet Nam conflict. They are still in use today.

(9) All current aircraft are scheduled for replacement with a new dedicated model, but the same basic airframe will still be used.

Ernie P. 04-18-2012 03:07 PM

More clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(9) All current aircraft are scheduled for replacement with a new dedicated model, but the same basic airframe will still be used.

(10) I’m looking for the basic designation for a complete family of special mission aircraft.

Ernie P. 04-18-2012 05:07 PM

Last clue for tonight. And it's a big clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(10) I’m looking for the basic designation for a complete family of special mission aircraft.

(11) Those missions all involve dedicated special operations forces. And, dedicated special operations aircraft.

Ernie P. 04-18-2012 11:14 PM

I think at least a couple of you have walked right past references to this aircraft in your research efforts. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(11) Those missions all involve dedicated special operations forces. And, dedicated special operations aircraft.

(12) A United States Air Force bird.

JohnnyS 04-19-2012 04:25 AM

MC-130?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_MC-130

Ernie P. 04-19-2012 02:37 PM

Buddy; we're playing ping pong here. <grin> Yes, you are right, Sir. And, of course, you are in line for the next question. Congratulations! Thanks; Ernie P.

The C-130 cargo plane, AC-130 gunship, KC-130 tanker and MC-130 Combat Talon, Spear and Shadow are all built on the same basic airframe. But they are all differently configured and distinct aircraft with distinct missions. That would make a great question all on its own, come to think of it. A remarkably versatile aircraft.

Clues:

(12) A United States Air Force bird.

(13) Dedicated to the aerial refueling of special operations helicopters and tilt-rotor aircraft, infiltration, exfiltration and resupply of special operations forces.

Answer: The Lockheed MC-130

The Lockheed MC-130 is the basic designation for a family of special mission aircraft operated by the United States Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC), a wing of the Air Education and Training Command, and an AFSOC-gained wing of the Air Force Reserve Command. Based on the C-130 Hercules transport, their mission is the infiltration, exfiltration, and resupply of special operations forces, and the air refueling of (primarily) special operations helicopter and tilt-rotor aircraft.

Members of the family include the MC-130E Combat Talon I, MC-130H Combat Talon II, MC-130W Combat/Dragon Spear, MC-130P Combat Shadow, and MC-130J Commando II. A possible MC-130 variant, designated the XFC-130H, did not proceed beyond the development stage, but one of its aircraft became the YMC-130H test bed aircraft for the Combat Talon II. The Air Force is requesting acquisition of at least 37 new production MC-130J aircraft to replace the Combat Talon Is and Combat Shadows, with the first ten received in 2011. A total of 69 MC-130J aircraft are planned, which will eventually replace all other MC-130 variants.

The MC-130E was the first Combat Talon and was developed to support clandestine special operations missions during the Vietnam War. Eighteen were created by modifying C-130E transports, and four lost through attrition, but the remainder continue in service more than four decades after their initial modification. An updated Combat Talon II was developed in the 1980s from the C-130H variant of the Hercules and went into service in the 1990s. Four of its 24 original aircraft have been lost in operations. The Combat Spear was implemented in 2006 as a cost effective program to supplement the Combat Talon II force, based on the same airframe. The Combat Shadow is a redesignation of several HC-130s. Initially developed during the Vietnam War for search and rescue operations, 28 were diverted to AFSOC in the 1980s to provide it with organic air refueling assets.

JohnnyS 04-19-2012 03:49 PM

Ernie,

Thanks! Your quizzes are excellent and a lot of fun to try and solve.

Here's a new one:

1. It's a military transport aircraft and versions have been configured as aerial refuelling tankers.

2. It is currently used by some of the NATO partners as well as some other countries.

3. The airframe is made of 2024 aluminum alloy instead of the more common 6061 alloy.

4. Maiden flight in 1982, final production delivery in 1998.

Ernie P. 04-20-2012 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnnyS

Ernie,

Thanks! Your quizzes are excellent and a lot of fun to try and solve.

Here's a new one:

1. It's a military transport aircraft and versions have been configured as aerial refuelling tankers.

2. It is currently used by some of the NATO partners as well as some other countries.

3. The airframe is made of 2024 aluminum alloy instead of the more common 6061 alloy.

I'm going to be out of town this weekend, and couldn't handle asking a question. So, you guys have fun. Thanks; Ernie P.

JohnnyS 04-21-2012 11:14 AM

Here's a new clue:

5. Twin engine.

JohnnyS 04-22-2012 04:16 PM

No more clues until we get some guesses![>:]

Ernie P. 04-22-2012 05:31 PM

No more clues until we get some guesses![>:]
Airbus A310? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Airbus A310 is a medium- to long-range twin-engine widebody jet airliner. Launched in July 1978, it was the second aircraft created by Airbus Industrie,[Nb 1] the consortium of European aerospace companies which is now owned by EADS. The A310 is a shortened derivative of the A300, the first twin-engined widebody airliner.

The A310 and the A300 officially ceased production in July 2007 although the last delivery was in June 1998. As of August 2010, 255 A310s have been delivered, 193 of which are still in operation.

The A310 has been operated by many of the world's airforces as a pure transport (A310-300 MRT), however several have now been converted to the "Multi Role Tanker Transport" configuration by EADS, providing an aerial refueling capability. At least six have been ordered; four by the German Luftwaffe and two by the Canadian Forces. Deliveries began in 2004. Three were converted at EADS EFW in Dresden, Germany; the other three at Lufthansa Technik in Hamburg, Germany. The Chilean Air Force has purchased two second-hand A310s to replace its aging 707–320 'Aguila' tanker and transports. The first was received in October 2007.

JohnnyS 04-22-2012 06:16 PM

Ernie,

Right again! You're up!

An interesting bit of trivia: 2024 aluminum is less resistant to corrosion than 6061, so the Airbus aircraft must be painted and cannot fly polished like aircraft made from 6061 alloy. So the A300 aircraft flown by American Airlines are painted grey with the AA logos and stripes painted on top and all the other aircraft they fly are polished with the logo and stripes painted over that.

Ernie P. 04-22-2012 11:42 PM

Ernie,

Right again! You're up!

An interesting bit of trivia: 2024 aluminum is less resistant to corrosion than 6061, so the Airbus aircraft must be painted and cannot fly polished like aircraft made from 6061 alloy. So the A300 aircraft flown by American Airlines are painted grey with the AA logos and stripes painted on top and all the other aircraft they fly are polished with the logo and stripes painted over that.
Always glad to oblige, JohnnyS. I hope this question amuses. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

(1).Began life as a mail plane.

Ernie P. 04-22-2012 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Ernie P.

Ernie,

Right again! You're up!

Always glad to oblige, JohnnyS. I hope this question amuses. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1). Began life as a mail plane.

Ernie P. 04-23-2012 02:43 PM

A couple of clues to speed things along. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) A fast mailplane.

(3) Was developed into a reconnaissance aircraft and light bomber.

The Raven 04-23-2012 04:32 PM

DH-88 Comet?

Ernie P. 04-23-2012 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: The Raven

DH-88 Comet?
An excellent guess, Sir; but incorrect. Please try again. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) A fast mailplane.

(4) A single engine, low wing monoplane.

Ernie P. 04-23-2012 11:41 PM

An early morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) A fast mailplane.

(5) A crew of two.

a65l 04-24-2012 01:20 AM

Heinkel 70

Ernie P. 04-24-2012 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: a65l

Heinkel 70
No, Sir; sorry. But in a sense, you are closer than might first appear. This may help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) A fast mailplane.

(5) A crew of two.

(6) Served with both the navy and army.