RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9452979-knowledge-quiz-warbird-wiz.html)

FlyerInOKC 07-31-2018 04:14 AM

I had the same problem too Hydro Junkie, nothing fit all the criteria.

elmshoot 07-31-2018 05:43 AM

1. Single engine
2. Single seat
3. Unarmed as it was test flown
4. It would qualify as a LSA by today's standards.
5. Subsonic....duh
6. This airplane and another were in competition and neither one proved satisfactory for its intended use.
7. The Germans were slightly more successful using the concept in WW2
8. 3 and 5 cly radial engines were tested on the airplane
9. The plane in question was all metal.
10. The plane in competition with it was more conventional fabric construction.
11. Only 6 were built as well as the competition airplane had 6 built.
12. 18' wing span
13. Folding/removable wings
14. The entire airplane could be stowed in a very limited area.
15. The first airplane to be used successfully in this role or more correctly tested in this role, the experiment didn't ever go past the test stage.
16. Based on a design of the US Bureau of Aeronautics
17. 1922-26
18. Designed for a use on a "Boat"

Ernie P. 07-31-2018 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by elmshoot (Post 12451376)
1. Single engine
2. Single seat
3. Unarmed as it was test flown
4. It would qualify as a LSA by today's standards.
5. Subsonic....duh
6. This airplane and another were in competition and neither one proved satisfactory for its intended use.
7. The Germans were slightly more successful using the concept in WW2
8. 3 and 5 cly radial engines were tested on the airplane
9. The plane in question was all metal.
10. The plane in competition with it was more conventional fabric construction.
11. Only 6 were built as well as the competition airplane had 6 built.
12. 18' wing span
13. Folding/removable wings
14. The entire airplane could be stowed in a very limited area.
15. The first airplane to be used successfully in this role or more correctly tested in this role, the experiment didn't ever go past the test stage.
16. Based on a design of the US Bureau of Aeronautics
17. 1922-26
18. Designed for a use on a "Boat"

Ahh..... The Cox-Klemin XS-1, which competed with the Martin MS-1 in testing of submarine launched aircraft in the 1920's. Great subject, Sparky. Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: Cox-Klemin XS-1

The United States began studying the concept in 1922 when two Caspar U.1 seaplanes were purchased from Germany for evaluation at Anacostia Naval Station. One aircraft was later lost during an exhibition flight in 1923, but they provided useful technical information.

The United States Navy ordered six Cox-Klemin XS-1s and six Martin MS-1s, both small seaplanes that like the Caspar U-1 could be disassembled easily. Both were tested aboard S-1 during October and November 1923. Later, Cox-Klemm built the improved XS-2 model, and Loening built the XSL, but the Navy had lost interest in the concept by then.

Problems with launching and recovering the aircraft, and the limited military value caused interest in the concept to wane, and news that the British submarine M2 had sunk during trials in 1933, and damage to the XSL during testings on the sheltered waters of the Anacostia River ended further U.S. Navy development.

The Cox-Klemin XS was a 1920s American experimental scout biplane, the first aircraft to be launched and recovered from a submarine.
Development

Based on a design by the US Bureau of Aeronautics for a simple single-seat scout seaplane that could be disassembled and assembled quickly. Instead of building the aircraft itself the Bureau of Aeronautics contracted the Cox-Klemin Aircraft Corporation to build six aircraft designated XS-1. The aircraft were powered by a 60 hp Lawrance L-4radial engine. One aircraft was re-engined in 1923 with a Kinner engine and re-designated XS-2.
Operational history

As part of a series of studies conducted by the United States Navy after World War I into the possibility of submarine borne observation and scouting aircraft, the submarine S-1 became the experimental platform for this project late in 1923. The XS-1, XS-2 and the Martin MS-1 were used for the trials mounted in a cylindrical pod behind the conning tower. After surfacing the aircraft could be rolled out and assembled, it was then launched ballasting the sub until the deck was awash. The first full cycle of surfacing, assembly, launching, retrieving, disassembly, and submergence took place on 28 July 1926, on the Thames River at New London using the XS-2. After further trials during 1926 all the experimental aircraft were scrapped.

The Martin MS-1 was an experimental scout biplane ordered by the United States Navy and was intended to operate from a submarine. It first flew in 1923 and the type was used for tests until 1926 when the project was cancelled.
Development

Following World War I, the U.S. Navy Bureau of Aeronautics conducted studies concerning the possibility of submarine-borne observation and scouting aircraft. After surfacing, this plane should be rolled out and quickly assembled. It was planned to launch the seaplane by ballasting the submarine until the deck was awash. The Navy ordered two types of aircraft, the Martin MS-1, constructed of wood and fabric, and the all-metal Cox-Klemin XS. The MS-1 first flew from Lake Erie in early 1923.

elmshoot 07-31-2018 08:05 AM

Ernie,
You are up!
On Number 7 the Germans had a tow behind glider to accomplish the same thing I have no idea how successful it was but I believe I had seen a replica in some museum.
Sparky

Ernie P. 07-31-2018 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by elmshoot (Post 12451414)
Ernie,
You are up!
On Number 7 the Germans had a tow behind glider to accomplish the same thing I have no idea how successful it was but I believe I had seen a replica in some museum.
Sparky

Thanks, Sparky. The glider was actually quite successful as to improving visibility. The problem was, visibility works in both directions; and the sub couldn't submerge quickly without abandoning the observer. So, sometimes the only message sent down was "I see a destroyer and he sees me. We have a big problem". I hope my question is as enjoyable as your's, elmshoot. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft is one of the lesser known aircraft used in a war which featured a large number of iconic aircraft.

Ernie P. 07-31-2018 02:15 PM

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

1. This aircraft is one of the lesser known aircraft used in a war which featured a large number of iconic aircraft.

2. It was well known at the time, but has slipped from public memory.

elmshoot 07-31-2018 05:34 PM

An-2

Ernie P. 07-31-2018 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by elmshoot (Post 12451538)
An-2

Not the An-2, Sparky; but here's a bonus clue to reward your participation. Thanks; Ernie P.

3. And it was certainly in the right place at the right time.

Hydro Junkie 08-01-2018 12:15 AM

F-86 Sabre

Hydro Junkie 08-01-2018 01:27 AM

Better yet, how about the Typhoon?

elmshoot 08-01-2018 04:58 AM

F7F Tigercat
A-26

Ernie P. 08-01-2018 06:16 AM

No correct answers thus far. However, to reward all the participation, here are both a morning clue and a bonus clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

4. It was actually designed before the war.

5. Its name actually became the name by which an entire class of aircraft became known.

Hydro Junkie 08-01-2018 07:16 AM

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clue 5 makes the mystery plane sound like the HMS Dreadnought. Every battleship after her was referred to as a "dreadnaught" until the last round was built just prior to and during WWII

FlyerInOKC 08-01-2018 07:23 AM

L-2 Grasshopper? The name grasshopper was used on Aeroncas, Pipers, and Taylorcrafts,

CF105 08-01-2018 08:22 AM

Tiger moth? “Moth” because a common description for similar types.

Ernie P. 08-01-2018 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12451655)
Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clue 5 makes the mystery plane sound like the HMS Dreadnought. Every battleship after her was referred to as a "dreadnaught" until the last round was built just prior to and during WWII

Something pretty close to that, Hydro Junkie. And since we have so much participation from you, FlyerInOKC and CF105, I'll award each of you a bonus clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

5. Its name actually became the name by which an entire class of aircraft became known.

6. It was originally designed as a racing aircraft.

7. The genesis of the aircraft was a series of conversations between the designer and a test pilot.

8. They were involved in testing a seaplane.

elmshoot 08-01-2018 05:39 PM

Black Widow?

elmshoot 08-01-2018 05:40 PM

Hawker Hunter

Hydro Junkie 08-01-2018 06:57 PM

Catalina, since there was actually 7 versions of it built
Spitfire, since it was originally a float plane racer and there was over 20 versions built

Ernie P. 08-01-2018 07:35 PM

Again, no correct answers thus far. However, again, I'll reward all the participation with three more clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

7. The genesis of the aircraft was a series of conversations between the designer and a test pilot.

9. A seaplane designed by a secret design group, headed by the designer of our subject aircraft.

10. Somewhat ironically, the seaplane was based upon an earlier land aircraft.

11. The earlier land aircraft, one of a series of aircraft, was specially designed to be taken apart and put back together easily.

Ernie P. 08-02-2018 06:38 AM

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

9. A seaplane designed by a secret design group, headed by the designer of our subject aircraft.

11. The earlier land aircraft, one of a series of aircraft, was specially designed to be taken apart and put back together easily.

12. One of the series (two aircraft) was developed for a foreign government.

Ernie P. 08-02-2018 09:39 AM

I'm going to be busy this afternoon and evening, so here's a couple of clues to aid your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

13. But by the time it was ready for delivery, war had broken out and the plane couldn’t be delivered.

14. The seaplane used a number of innovative ideas, which were ultimately successful, but which could not be brought to fruition at the time.

Hydro Junkie 08-02-2018 02:11 PM

Okay Ernie, you have me totally stumped on this one. A land plane based on a seaplane based on a land plane?
Could it be a Sopwith Tripe? I'm probably wrong but I figure "What the heck" :confused:

Ernie P. 08-02-2018 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12451989)
Okay Ernie, you have me totally stumped on this one. A land plane based on a seaplane based on a land plane?
Could it be a Sopwith Tripe? I'm probably wrong but I figure "What the heck" :confused:

Well, Hydro Junkie; I do try to make my questions interesting. No, not the Sopwith Triplane, although that isn't a bad guess. Maybe this next bonus clue will help you narrow your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

13. But by the time it was ready for delivery, war had broken out and the plane couldn’t be delivered.

14. The seaplane used a number of innovative ideas, which were ultimately successful, but which could not be brought to fruition at the time.

15. Many years later, these ideas resulted in what we today know as hydrofoils.

elmshoot 08-02-2018 08:02 PM

Piaggio P.7