RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9452979-knowledge-quiz-warbird-wiz.html)

elmshoot 05-26-2020 05:48 AM

I didn't suggest the Storch because you said crew of 2..... It only needs a crew of one and the other is an available seat.....
That's what lead me off. In fact i almost posted when the Storch was suggested that point of a crew of two eliminated the airplane from consideration. I was thinking Jap because they are good at copying airplanes at that time.
Sparky

Ernie P. 05-26-2020 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by elmshoot (Post 12607145)
I didn't suggest the Storch because you said crew of 2..... It only needs a crew of one and the other is an available seat.....
That's what lead me off. In fact i almost posted when the Storch was suggested that point of a crew of two eliminated the airplane from consideration. I was thinking Jap because they are good at copying airplanes at that time.
Sparky

Sparky; both the Storch and Stella are listed as having a crew of two. I think they're figuring a pilot and observer in normal operations, or a pilot and passenger. Someone mentioned the Storch as being difficult to fly, but I don't think that was true. After all, a lot of countries copied and used it; and there must be some reason. Offhand, I don't think any other country ever produced copies of the Cub. Thanks; Ernie P.

elmshoot 05-26-2020 08:35 AM

Yep I see that it's listed as a crew of two but I don't buy that. If i were king id fix stuff like that. :)
Sparky

Top_Gunn 05-26-2020 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ernie P. (Post 12607181)
Sparky; both the Storch and Stella are listed as having a crew of two. I think they're figuring a pilot and observer in normal operations, or a pilot and passenger. Someone mentioned the Storch as being difficult to fly, but I don't think that was true. After all, a lot of countries copied and used it; and there must be some reason. Offhand, I don't think any other country ever produced copies of the Cub. Thanks; Ernie P.

Here's a description of what it was like to fly the Storch. Not that easy. And he doesn't mention some other things: a power-off stall could easily roll the plane over, the ailerons were so heavy the pilot had to use both hands on the stick, turning while taxiing needed both brakes and rudder, and you couldn't fly it with your heels on the floor and your toes on the pedals. Another problem was that it didn't have dual controls, so you had to learn to fly in something else first (Unlike the cub, which was a primary trainer: a lot of the L-4 pilots were guys who had washed out of pilot training after the primary trainer stage.) The Cub had excellent low-speed handling qualities.

As for maintenance, a guy who is restoring one told me there were something like six or seven couplings between the stick and the elevator. And the flaps and ailerons were connected so that the ailerons acted like flaperons at times. That doesn't sound like easy-to-fix either.

https://haa-uk.aero/document/flying-...eseler-storch/

Ernie P. 05-26-2020 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn (Post 12607192)
Here's a description of what it was like to fly the Storch. Not that easy. And he doesn't mention some other things: a power-off stall could easily roll the plane over, the ailerons were so heavy the pilot had to use both hands on the stick, turning while taxiing needed both brakes and rudder, and you couldn't fly it with your heels on the floor and your toes on the pedals. Another problem was that it didn't have dual controls, so you had to learn to fly in something else first (Unlike the cub, which was a primary trainer: a lot of the L-4 pilots were guys who had washed out of pilot training after the primary trainer stage.) The Cub had excellent low-speed handling qualities.

As for maintenance, a guy who is restoring one told me there were something like six or seven couplings between the stick and the elevator. And the flaps and ailerons were connected so that the ailerons acted like flaperons at times. That doesn't sound like easy-to-fix either.

Al; I'm not questioning whether the Storch was easy to maintain or build. The Germans do seem to love building a better brick; or anything else, for that matter. But everything I've ever read indicated that German pilots (mostly incidental references by Luftwaffe fighter pilots) loved the thing. I'll do some more reading, though. I don't know if I've ever read anything about maintaining the thing. Thanks; Ernie P.

Ernie P. 05-26-2020 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by elmshoot (Post 12607182)
Yep I see that it's listed as a crew of two but I don't buy that. If i were king id fix stuff like that. :)
Sparky

Sparky; I'd happily vote to elect you King; except I think there aren't many votes for that sort of thing these days. Being King usually involves more of brute force than diplomacy and electioneering; and not very many votes are held, unless most of the voters are simply following orders. But I think everyone agreed a long time ago that flying the plane and observing could be done more efficiently by two people. If a pilot is flying somewhere, in a utility type aircraft, he's usually got a reason for the trip. And that usually involves a second person. Maybe simply as a passenger, but sometimes they are working too.

Then again, most of the reading I've done about L-4 pilots, indicates they were usually working alone. I just don't know. Thanks; Ernie P..

Ernie P. 05-26-2020 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn (Post 12607192)

Al; I read the attachment. It certainly sounds like the Storch could be a handful. Interestingly, I noticed that the L-4 and Storch involved in the "last victory" part were both carrying two crewmen. Does anyone know if the L-4 normally carried an observer when on recon and spotting missions? Thanks; Ernie P.

Hydro Junkie 05-26-2020 06:21 PM

Okay guys, I don't know if the Storch or it's clones or, for that matter, the L-4 carried an observer but what I do know is that every plane can be a handful for a pilot that's not familiar with it. While instrumentation was and is pretty much a given, control layout isn't. That's was why a pilot had to go through a familiarization course for the plane type they would be flying. Even going from, for example, the P-51 to the P-51D took some familiarization as the two planes flew nothing alike. The P51D had an additional fuel tank behind the cockpit that caused many inexperienced pilots to crash when they first transitioned to it from the earlier models. The addition of a rear fuel tank changed the balance of the "D" model to a tail heavy configuration that required that tank to be used before any other, including drop tanks. Failure to empty the rear tank first made the plane almost uncontrollable if used in combat, resulting in the lost planes and pilots.

Ernie P. 05-26-2020 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12607347)
Okay guys, I don't know if the Storch or it's clones or, for that matter, the L-4 carried an observer but what I do know is that every plane can be a handful for a pilot that's not familiar with it. While instrumentation was and is pretty much a given, control layout isn't. That's was why a pilot had to go through a familiarization course for the plane type they would be flying. Even going from, for example, the P-51 to the P-51D took some familiarization as the two planes flew nothing alike. The P51D had an additional fuel tank behind the cockpit that caused many inexperienced pilots to crash when they first transitioned to it from the earlier models. The addition of a rear fuel tank changed the balance of the "D" model to a tail heavy configuration that required that tank to be used before any other, including drop tanks. Failure to empty the rear tank first made the plane almost uncontrollable if used in combat, resulting in the lost planes and pilots.

Good points, Sir. We're perhaps debating minutia here, but that's just fine. I'm learning stuff. And for that I thank you all. Thanks; Ernie P.

Hydro Junkie 05-26-2020 08:02 PM

Okay, it's time for a quiz.
Looking for an Aircraft
1) This single seat aircraft was supposedly developed with the assistance of two other countries
2) A total of 350 aircraft have been built for the country that built it and one other country
3) This aircraft is comparable to aircraft of rival countries
Good Luck

Top_Gunn 05-27-2020 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12607347)

That's true, but the problem with the Storch and unskilled pilots wasn't that they were unfamiliar with it, it was that it was dangerously unstable when flown slowly, and slow flying was what it was designed to do. All the familiarization in the world wouldn't enable many people who had only flown primary and basic trainers to fly it safely, especially since even for their first flight they would be the only pilot. The Cub could be and was flown by a lot of pilots who would never be allowed to fly a fighter or bomber. That freed up the best pilots for those jobs. Early in the war, that probably wouldn't have been a concern for the Germans, but by 1944 Germany was desperately short of experienced fighter pilots and the new guys had very little flight time because of the severe fuel shortage.

Ernie pointed out that some countries copied the Storch, probably because its performance was outstanding. But after the war, a somewhat improved version of the Cub with flaps, a more powerful engine, and an electric system became one of the most popular lightplanes in the world; i don't think the Storch had successors like that. And when the Army wanted a new plane for artillery spotting, it got the Cessna L-19, which was a lot more like the Cub (though not that easy to fly) than the Storch.

Hydro Junkie 05-27-2020 03:15 PM

I see there are no guesses yet so, that said, it's time for another clue:
Looking for an Aircraft
1) This single seat aircraft was supposedly developed with the assistance of two other countries
2) A total of 350 aircraft have been built for the country that built it and one other country
4) The original plan was to power the plane with a "home grown" engine
5) The home grown engine proved to be not as powerful or reliable as an engine used initially that was provided by one of the other two countries
Good Luck

Hydro Junkie 05-28-2020 03:39 PM

And, once again, no guesses. Time for more clues:
Looking for an Aircraft
5) The home grown engine proved to be not as powerful or reliable as an engine used initially that was provided by one of the other two countries
6) This plane was not able to be exported with the other country's engines so the "home grown" engine was required before it could be sold to anyone else
7) This plane uses systems that are arguably based on those designed and used by other countries
Good Luck

Ernie P. 05-30-2020 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12607882)
And, once again, no guesses. Time for more clues:
Looking for an Aircraft
6) This plane was not able to be exported with the other country's engines so the "home grown" engine was required before it could be sold to anyone else
7) This plane uses systems that are arguably based on those designed and used by other countries
Good Luck

Sir; how about the Chinese Chengdu J-10? Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: The Chengdu J-10

The Chengdu J-10 (simplified Chinese: -10; traditional Chinese: -10; NATO reporting name: Firebird, also known as Vigorous Dragon (Chinese: ; pinyin: Měnglóng), is a single-engine, lightweight multirolefighter aircraft capable of all-weather operation, configured with a delta wing and canard design, with fly-by-wire flight controls, and produced by the Chengdu Aircraft Corporation (CAC) for the People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF).

Development history

The program was authorized by Deng Xiaoping in the 1980s who allocated ¥ 0.5 billion to develop an indigenous aircraft. Work on Project #10[1] started several years later in January 1988,[9] as a response to the Mikoyan MiG-29 and Sukhoi Su-27 then being introduced by the USSR, and F-15, F-16 already in service in the United States. Development was delegated to the 611 Institute, also known as the Chengdu Aircraft Design Institute and Song Wencong was nominated as the chief designer, as he had previously been the chief designer of the J-7III. The aircraft was initially designed as a specialized fighter, but later became a multirole aircraft capable of both air-to-air combat and ground attack missions.

In 2006, the Russian Siberian Aeronautical Research Institute (SibNIA) confirmed its participation in the J-10 program; SibNIA claimed to have only observed and instructed as "scientific guides", while its engineers also believed the J-10 was "more or less a version" of the IAI Lavi, incorporating "a melting pot of foreign technology and acquired design methods".[10][11][failed verification]

The J-10 was officially unveiled by the Chinese government in January 2007, when photographs were published by Xinhua News Agency. The aircraft's existence was known long before the announcement, although concrete details remained scarce due to secrecy. Rumors of crashes during flight testing were actually mishaps related to the AL-31 engine.[12]

The first prototype "J-10 01" was rolled out in November 1997 and first flown on 23 March 1998[1][13] in a twenty-minute flight.

AVIC plans to market an upgraded J-10 for export, most likely the J-10B, once development is complete. Several countries have shown interest.

In 2015, China Military Online published an analysis advocating Argentina's adoption of the J-10, claiming that while the operational range of current versions could not yet allow it to reach the Falkland Islands, the aircraft, particularly its radar, were superior to the Typhoon and that tanker aircraft could place the islands within range. China has been promoting the J-10 to the Argentine republic and during a February 2015 visit to China by President Kirchner established a joint fighter aircraft working group.

Propulsion

The J-10A is powered by a single Russian Lyulka-Saturn AL-31FN turbofan engine giving a maximum static thrust of 12,500 kgf (123 kN).[23] The AL-31FN is based on the AL-31F which was designed for a twin engine aircraft such as the Su-27, to fit the smaller J-10 the engine parts have been moved and re-designed to fit the smaller engine bay in the J-10.

The J-10 was intended to be powered by the Chinese WS-10 Taihang turbofan, but development difficulties forced the J-10A to use a Russian engine instead.[24] Future J-10 will likely be equipped with an improved WS-10 type engine designed specifically for it, as the Chinese aeroengine industry matures and political/military pressure to indigenize increases.[25]

In April 2014, China have entered into a contract with NPO Saturn to purchase the upgraded AL-31FN Series 3 that provides 13,700 kgf thrust and a 2,250-hour service life for future deliveries. Prior, the AL-31FN Series 3 had accumulated 750 hours of test operation on the J-10 aircraft in a test programme.[26]

In Jan 2018, an image has emerged on Chinese online forums showing a Chengdu Aircraft Industries Company J-10 multirole fighter aircraft powered by what may be an engine featuring a thrust vector control (TVC) nozzle.[27] Newer aircraft also use a diverterless intake, a design intended to reduce complexity and often reduces radar cross signature as well.

In November 2018, a J-10B powered by WS-10 thrust vector control (TVC) publicly displayed at the Zhuhai AirShow and made a Pugachev's Cobra action.

General characteristics

·

· Crew: 1

·

· Length: 16.43 m (53 ft 11 in)

·

· Wingspan: 9.75 m (32 ft 0 in)

·

· Height: 5.43 m (17 ft 10 in)

·

· Wing area: 33 m2 (360 sq ft)

·

· Empty weight: 9,750 kg (21,495 lb) [56]

·

· Gross weight: 12,400 kg (27,337 lb)

·

· Max takeoff weight: 19,277 kg (42,499 lb) [30][56]

·

· Powerplant: 1 × Saturn-Lyulka AL-31FN afterburning turbofan engines, 79.43 kN (17,860 lbf) thrust (or WS-10A) dry, 125 kN (28,000 lbf) with afterburner

Performance

·

· Range: 3,200 km (2,000 mi, 1,700 nmi) [57][56]

·

· Combat range: 1,250 km (780 mi, 670 nmi) [57][56]

·

· Maximum speed: Mach 2.2[57][58]

·

· Service ceiling: 18,000 m (59,000 ft) [56]

·

· g limits:+9 3[56]

·

· Wing loading: 381 kg/m2 (78 lb/sq ft)

·

· Thrust/weight: 1.15 (with Saturn AL-31FN3); 1.16 (with WS-10A)

·

· Instantaneous Turn Rate: 31+ degrees per second

·

· Roll Rate: 300+ degrees per second

Armament

·

· Guns:Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-23

·

· Hardpoints: 11 in total (6× under-wing, 2× under-intake and 3× under-fuselage) with a capacity of 7,000 kg (15,400 lb) external fuel and ordnance[29],

·

· Rockets: 90 mm unguided rocket pods

·

· Missiles:

o

o Air-to-air missiles:

o PL-8

o PL-9

o PL-10

o PL-11

o PL-12

o PL-15

o

o Air-to-surface missiles:

o PJ-9

o YJ-9K

·

· Bombs:

· Laser-guided bombs: (LT-2)

· Glide bombs: (LS-6, GB3, GB2A, GB3A)

· Satellite-guided bombs: (FT-1)

· Unguided bombs: 250 kg, 500 kg

·

· Others:

o

o Up to 3 external fuel drop-tanks (1× under-fuselage, 2× under-wing) for extended range and loitering time

Avionics

·

· Type 1473H pulse-doppler fire control radar

·

· Externally mounted avionics pods:

o

o Type Hongguang-I infra-red search and track pod

o

o BM/KG300G self-protection jamming pod

o

o KZ900 electronic reconnaissance pod

o

o Blue Sky navigation/attack pod

o

o FILAT (Forward-looking Infra-red Laser Attack Targeting) pod

Hydro Junkie 05-30-2020 11:01 AM

I figured it would go quick but I figured another clue or two would be needed. Was it that obvious? You're up Ernie :)

Ernie P. 05-30-2020 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12608272)
I figured it would go quick but I figured another clue or two would be needed. Was it that obvious? You're up Ernie :)

No, it wasn't that obvious; I'm just really good at figuring things out. <g> Actually, reading through all the clues in total, it seemed to me it was probably something to do with, or in cooperation with, the Israelis or Chinese, or both. Perhaps something to do with stolen or pirated technology. So I started going through the lists and the J-10 popped up.

If anyone who hasn't posted anything lately, if ever, would like to try taking the lead, I'll hold off until tomorrow evening before posting my next question.
Here's your chance, guys; you have 24 hours to post something. Thanks; Ernie P.

Ernie P. 05-31-2020 08:53 AM

Last chance for any of our lurkers and seldom posters to take the lead on asking the next question. If no one steps up soon, I'll post my next question this evening. Thanks; Ernie P.

Ernie P. 05-31-2020 01:09 PM

Okay; seeing no takers, I'll lead again. You're looking for an aircraft engine. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird engine do I describe?

1. This was the first engine produced by this company.

FlyerInOKC 05-31-2020 02:09 PM

Pratt Whitney R-1340 Wasp

Ernie P. 05-31-2020 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 12608528)
Pratt Whitney R-1340 Wasp

Sir; a good answer, but not where we're going. However, a bonus clue is definitely in order. Thanks; Ernie P.

2. This engine was an unqualified success; powering an iconic aircraft.

Ernie P. 06-01-2020 03:22 AM

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

3. In fact, it could be said this engine powered two iconic aircraft; although the second took some time before it was recognized as such.

elmshoot 06-01-2020 04:30 AM

Packard Liberty V-12?
Sparky

Ernie P. 06-01-2020 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by elmshoot (Post 12608652)
Packard Liberty V-12?
Sparky

Not the Liberty, Sparky. But you do earn a bonus clue to accompany the scheduled afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

3. In fact, it could be said this engine powered two iconic aircraft; although the second took some time before it was recognized as such.

4. And the company went on to even greater success over the years.

5. This engine was an immediate hit; and the only limitation to its success was how to make even more of them.

stang151 06-01-2020 11:09 AM

Gnome Omega???

Ernie P. 06-01-2020 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by stang151 (Post 12608739)
Gnome Omega???

Not the Omega, Sir; but you have earned a bonus clue in addition to the scheduled evening clue. I hope it helps. Thanks; Ernie P.

4. And the company went on to even greater success over the years.

5. This engine was an immediate hit; and the only limitation to its success was how to make even more of them.

6. This was aided by farming out production to another company.

7. One of the key features of this engine was shared by other, earlier, and well known engines.