Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

Just a thought to help cut costs.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

Just a thought to help cut costs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:10 PM
forklift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a thought to help cut costs.

If your ship's armament is capable of firing 5-6mm projectiles, check into airsoft paintballs. You can tell when the ship is hit and you don't have to have it sunk and lose all that money.

Set a limit of hits per hull section or just a limit of 3 hits per ship before she goes down. Still sporting and not dissapointing when you lose.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: Just a thought to help cut costs.

I have been sailing the same ship in combat events for nineteen years.
Last year, in one weekend it was sunk a record number of 7 times in two days.
I will sail it again this year, using the same equipment as all the previous years.
I don't feel like any money has been lost. [8D]
Old 02-23-2007, 06:19 PM
johnmCA72

ORIGINAL: forklift

If your ship's armament is capable of firing 5-6mm projectiles, check into airsoft paintballs. You can tell when the ship is hit and you don't have to have it sunk and lose all that money.

Set a limit of hits per hull section or just a limit of 3 hits per ship before she goes down. Still sporting and not dissapointing when you lose.
If you add a recovery float & line, you might not lose so many ships!

JM

Old 02-24-2007, 07:26 AM
kotori

But Forklift, using paintballs removes one of the best parts of Model Warship Combat that sets it apart from other sports, and that is sinking ships. Personally, I love to see ships sink and I'd rather have MY ship get sunk than NO ships at all. Of course its even better if its the other guy who visits Davey Jones, but it doesn't always work out that way. The only additional cost a sink incurs are the price of goggles and a swimsuit, plus the rubbing alcohol that you use to dry out the electronics.

That's not to say that paintballs aren't useful. they work great in [link=http://www.rctankcombat.com/]RC tank combat[/link]. I currently have a 1/16 scale Pershing with airsoft cannon. Once I modify the cannon so it can break 6mm paintballs on targets 20-30 feet away, I will get a few more and play paintball tanks with my friends. But even when that happens, I won't stop using steel shot with my warships.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Wreno

Forklift,

The 1/4" guns can easily fire 6mm projectiles. That is pretty much what they do. Unfortunately, the way they work would likely turn the paintballs to mush. Also, consider that this is a damp/wet environment, which is not a happy situation with gelatin(?) paintballs.

Aside from the practical issues, we like to see the balsa fly! Ours or someone elses. I actually drive an unarmed ship, and entered her in the Texas Cage Match at last year's NABGO (the Nationals for Big Gunners). I beat out several tough competitors, including the prior year's second place winner. Even lasted a good long time with my entire superstructure blown away, and about 1/3 of my entire deck open to the ocean with only about 1/2" of freeboard.

Think more like battlebots. Would you rather enter a line follower competition or battlebots? Which would you rather watch?

You would be surprised how little the real, severe, damage is. After all, the ships are designed to have "disposable"/"damageable" skins. They are designed and built to both give and take damage. Even if something severe goes wrong, it is usually a little balsa and silkspan and maybe $50 (if you lost a servo or RX, which is not common), and time and paint to make it right.

I once had the same thought about paintballs. I have learned a lot since then.

Wreno
Old 02-26-2007, 02:31 PM
markswihart

What would be the point to all this if you couldn't sink ships? Might as well go back to the speed boats if thats the case