Go Back  RCU Forums > RCU Rules & FAQs > RCUniverse.com FAQ
Reload this Page >

motor dies when nose goes down

Community
Search
Notices
RCUniverse.com FAQ RCU''s most frequently asked questions.

motor dies when nose goes down

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor dies when nose goes down

I have a world models sky raider low wing with a os46-ax motor. Just put it together. When i tested the plane at home i did what i usually do. Tune the motor then hold the plane upside down, nose up and nose down at full throttle to make sure it wont die in any of these positions. It passed the test except when i point the nose down even a little bit the motor dies instantly. I understand that holding it nose down when not flying will cause the motor to die because the clunk is not in the fuel supply. But i cant remember ever having a plane that would die instantly as soon as you put the nose down at all. There is fuel in the lines so it should take at least a couple of seconds before it runs out of fuel i would think. However, i am getting older and my memory aint what it used to be so i thought i would ask on the forum if dieing as soon as you tip the nose down is normal. I am confident my tuning is in the ball park. Also the clunk is in the proper position in the tank. About 1/4" from the back and its not stuck. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:56 PM

Hey i just thought of something i didnt check. Like i say gettin old i guess. What i need to do is check if there is fuel in the lines after it dies. Wouldnt that be a hoot if there was. Thanks
Old 04-24-2016, 06:39 PM
Carlos G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi 3357,

Usually when my plane is nose down and the engine dies, its because mother earth has jumped up and ate my model!

Carlos G
Old 04-24-2016, 10:15 PM

Thatell do it!
Old 04-26-2016, 06:17 AM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

That is strange that dies fast. I suggest to check if low end is too rich. Check the idle rpm. If rpm is reduced substantially as time pass the low end is rich. Try to lean the low end making sure does not die when going from low to high. Another option is to check if changing the plug will help. I will do first the idle check.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:14 PM

Well I fixed the problem. I guess it was running out of fuel. I have never had a plane die the second the nose goes down like that. Not even in the same model. I just put a fuel filter and added a loop of fuel tubing. Problem solved. Thanks fdor the replies Carlos and Vbortone.