Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

RCV engine on Fourstar 60

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Hans Roos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCV engine on Fourstar 60

Hi to all,
let me introduce myself as Hans from The Netherlands.
I'm a model flyer for 2 years by now and recently started the building of a Fourstar 60 from Sig,which I like to fly next spring.
For a more realistic look I planning to modify the nose by a homemade cowl from Balsa or fiberglass with epoxy.
Next I wish is to fly this plane with a RCV engine due to its great sound and having something elseas regulare, like OS or Saito.

After searching the internet, I found the 15 ccm RCV 91 CD and the RCV 90 SP engines.
Now I do have the following questions.
- Will a RCV 91 CD fit straight or inverted neatlyin a homemate colw from a Fourstar 60.
-Will a RCV 90 SP not being to nose heavy four a Fourstar 60.
- In generalwhatwillbethe best choice the 91-CD or the 90-SP, for placing in a cowl of a Fourstar 60.
- A point of attention for the RCV 90 SP is cooling if placedin a colw.
I have read someware about 1" for air inletand 3"for air outlet. So wat will be a good designfor the cowl, (way of air flow).
(Something like onan electricplane with open inlets on left an rightsite of the motor shaft?)
- Recommended free space (clearence) between engine and cowl, for both engines.
- Other points of attention.
- Last but not least a good adress in Europe to buy this motor with good serviceand support.

Kind Regards

Hans

Old 09-25-2010, 11:55 AM
ustas
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: RCV engine on Fourstar 60

Hi Hans;
I had good luck with rcv91cd
One of the distributors is WestonUK
they are very good (I had personal experience with them) in terms of customer care and carry a whole line of the rcv engines.
If you need more info just give them a call.
here is their web site address:
[link=http://www.westonuk.co.uk/westonuk2_036.htm]WestonUK[/link]
I also have a 4* 60 and planning to put rcv91cd in it.
Happy landings,
ustas
Old 09-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Hans Roos

Hi Ustas,

Thanks for you reply. To day Ispoke with Alan of Weston UK and have ordered the RCV 90-sp with 3 different props an 2,3 and 4 blade.
I will see which one will preform best.I prefer the sp version this design fits betterin a cowl. Oninternet you can findmanybuilding threads ofhandmade Balza cowlsforaFourstars 60.
The in-cowl exhauste from Genesis (silencer) I wanded to order with the engine, will be supplied after I have finishthe cowl.
Important is, toknow the remaining space to fit the silenser. Next, this silencer willinprove an300 rpm to the prop. See this site http://www.westonuk.co.uk/westonuk2_226.htm

If youare interestedabout myprogres I willplace some images.

Kind regards
Hans

Old 09-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Joe Lott

Hello Hans,

I'm always interested in seeing some pictures. I have a 120SP in a Top Flite .60 Corsair and a 60SP in a Nitromodels .50 Zero. Both engines perform nicely with big 3-blade props. Just break in your new 90SP as recommended by RCV and you will love it. Break it in on the bench. It will run very rough at first, but you will notice it "smoothing out" as you run it. After you have put about 1 gallon of fuel through it, it should run nice and smooth. Check the tightness of all screws periodically. I would suggest breaking it in with the muffler that came with the engine. That muffler will eventually fail (probably by the time you finish breaking in the engine), and you will have your Genesis muffler for use in your bird.

At this point, I wouldn't consider anything other than and SP for scale applications. I love scale size props and not having to butcher a cowl to make room for the engine.

Good luck with your build,
Joe