Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

91-CD question

Old 08-12-2005, 06:45 PM
pnmrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91-CD question

After seeing the great success my buddy was having with his 91 CD, I was convinced it was the way to go. I love this engine and the whole concept.

I installed it on its side with the exhaust pointing down on a Goldberg Tiger 60. I have flown it for several weeks now with no problems, aways runs like a swiss clock. But today I noticed a streak of dark black oil/whatever running back from the nose cone area. After taking off the spinner off, this black goo was all in the forward nose area and appears to be coming from the front bearing. (I removed the prop backplate hub).

My question is: Is this normal? My Satio's all have a healthy amount of oil coming from the drain, but it is pretty clear, and nothing dark from the hub at all. I can't say for certain that a similar amount of oil is coming from the RCV's drain. My concern is that this black oil coming from the front is more of a metal to metal wear darkening the oil, or possibly the oil is not venting properly?. I blew back into the vent and it appears not to be plugged.
but I did notice a small air leak coming thru the front bearing.

Any response would be welcomed, The engine is running OK, I just want to keep it that way.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:56 AM
RCV Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 91-CD question

Hi

Sorry for the delay in responding to this post, but unfortunately I was not receiving indication from RC Universe that there were any new posts.

Anyway in answer to your query, it sounds like the seal on the bearing may have failed hence you are seeing oil from the front. Small amounts of black oil should not be a concern, and this will not harm your engine.

If you did want this bearing replaced though, we could do this under warranty, please email me [email protected] and I can provide you with an authorisation number for a warranty repair.

Best regards
Laurenne