Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

Suitable fuel for RCV 60

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Lance A. Parsons
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suitable fuel for RCV 60

Laurenne, 3 or 4 years ago I bought one of the early model RCV 60s. I came without the starter adapter. I bought this engine specificaly for use in an Altech Marketing Pilatus Porter. I thought it would be a natural to stand in for the Pratt and Whitney PT6 turboprop in the real aircraft. Two questions. Can I start it by the usual method of putting the starter on the spinner? What fuels work best in this engine? I just got home after 2+ years away and the only fuel I have on hand is some never opened K&B 500 of rather elderly vintage (about 3 years). I can't seem to find out what oil or nitro content this fuel has. Has K&B stopped making fuel? I know your instructions called for 10% nitro. Any reply would be appreciated. Lance A. Parsons
Old 10-26-2005, 04:12 AM
RCV Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suitable fuel for RCV 60

Hi Lance

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was attending a show in the USA.

Anyway in answer to your first question you have a couple of options.
1) you can use the engine without a starting adapter, this may be slightly more difficult as the engine is geared down however it is certainly possible (especially if you choke the engine). We don't really recommend this for safety reasons but it will not harm the engine.
2)alternatively you can purchase a starter from us, you can order this online from www.rcvengines.com

With regard to your second question I am unsure about K&B fuel. Fuel does getter poorer the older it is, so as it is 3 years old I would recommend purchasing a new fuel. You can use a number of 10% nitro fuels including
Wildcat Premium 10%
Morgan Omega 10%
Byron Premium Sports 10%

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to contact me.
Best regards
Laurenne