Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

End Of Season Findings "NO SURPRISE" TAKE HEED

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 12:43 PM
Otto Kudrna
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End Of Season Findings "NO SURPRISE" TAKE HEED

Hello All

Now that the season is almost over, I seam to be getting more than the usual amount of engine complaints in the shop.
I have found that the vastly disproportional majority of RCV engine problems out of the few I see, stem from the use of substandard or improper fuels. Gents, please read the section on fuel requirements. I can easily tell if someone has been running fuel with a insufficient amount of caster oil, or a low grade synthetic, once I take the engine apart. I will stop authorizing warranty repairs if I find this to be the case. If you would not run CHEAP Gas in your Lexus, Corvette, Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW, or any other fine piece of machinery, WHY RUN IT IN YOUR RCV and other fine model airplane engines. You would run YS fuel in your YS engines. Why not run the proper fuel in your RCV.
When Henry Royce designed the PV-12 engine which later turned into the Merlin, There was a new fuel designed to run this engine. (That is right, for those that did not know) Up to this time almost no one has heard of Tetra-Ethyl-Lead. or even realized the importance of the Octane Rating of Gas. This fuel later revolutionized the aircraft engine performance bench marks. These bench marks are still adhered to today. No one flying their own private airplane would dare to run cheap gas in their airplane, why should you be any different with your expensive model. If you did not know, oil type and quantity changes the Octane rating of your fuel, just like nitro will. It also changes the compression ratio of your engine and this is even more critical.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
Run Quality and properly blended fuels with quality components in your engines. Stop believing the fuel makers about "what YOU NEED is what I'M giving you" and start believing the individual engine makers about what their particular engines require. If you find that a particular fuel gives uncommon performance and good engine life and reliability, in a particular engine, the engine Manufacturer would gladly hear about it and would gladly recommend that fuel once it is tested. After all, if engine makers give you a wider fuel choice, you are more likely to buy their engine.
I have Switched my entire 4 cycle engine collection to RCV, not because They pay me to (they do not, I am not on the RCV payroll) or because I can have as many RCV engines as I want (I can Not) but because I believe in the revolutionary technology, and what it can do for all of us modelers. Take advantage of this technology and run with it. Don't mis-use it abuse it or scoff at it if you do. PLEASE USE THE PROPER FUEL

Thank You
Otto Kudrna, RCV Engines Tech Support Americas