Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

Keeping cool

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:26 AM
skyjockey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping cool

With the cooling problems of the RCV SP's, how are they ever used in a model like a Mustang? I have a EMB 312 Tucano that the SP would be a good fit, but the cooling problem looms big. What have others done to get passed it and still remain scale?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Michael211

Default RE: Keeping cool

1 thing you can do is run full-synthetic fuel in the engine. I noticed immediately upon switching my 90SP from Power Master caster oil based fuel to Cool Power 10% full synthetic fuel that the engine runs alot cooler. Also you need to direct the airflow from the Mustang's air-inlet (below the spinner) upwards at the engine's cooling fins, and allow for a large enough opening on the bottom of the engine cowling for air to escape from in there adaquately.

- Michael
Old 06-22-2009, 01:07 PM
skyjockey

Michael211
Thank you for your reply. The cool-power sounds like a great first step.
Did you have opportunity to measure the amount of temperature dropachieved?
The Tucano hasa nose gear at the bottomof the cowl. The only opportunity for exaust air isthe "turbine exaust pipes'. I'm not sure that willbe adaquate.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Arruda

I have .90SP engine and, from my experience, there is no overheating problems with this engine. The only problem is the header and muffler. Those parts run hotter than any other engine.
I believe this is a particularity of the rotary valve – it releases the gases earlier than in conventional engines.
The air intake on the Tucano should be enough to keep the engine cool. The problem is that the air will hit the exhaust header before it reaches the fins …
Old 06-22-2009, 05:35 PM
walts

I ran an RCV 90sp in a Hawker Hurricane, whichwas quite a tightly cowled installation. I had a small'ish intake under the chin just behind the spinner, around 1" square, with a baffle directing the air up toward the engine. But as stated the header and exhaust get in the way and the baffle had to be cut around the header pipe. I had an opening at the back of the cowl at the bottom easily three times that of the inlet, and I still suffered bad over heating problems with the engine smoking &hissingquite bqdly after landing (ran on a totally synthetic fuel) I finally got it to run without too much over heating by cutting the small rim that wasleft on thefront flat face off the cowl behind the spinner leaving a clear gap (only a few mm) around the cowl and spinner looking from the front. Not overly obvious, but it made a hell of a lot of difference in allowing air to flow directly over the engine from the front. I know everyone says the fins on the SP's go the wrong way, but with a fairly close fitting cowl getting air directly in from the front seems to work.

Walts.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:41 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my TopFlite Spitfire, I added a small ducted fan to exhaust the air out of the cowl and baffled the airflow over the cylinder. The primary intake of air is through the gap between the spinner and the front fo the cowl, which is a little wider than normal. There'smore parts, and it can be a bit fussy, but it works. Irun a small ecs which is controlled by a knop on my Futaba. I am moving over to a Spectrum radio and will be adding a thermocouple controller to run the fan. It's from Oregon Scale Aviation and was originally designed to control cowl flaps. It'll clear up a channel, and dynamically control the fan.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95363.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1223119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41777.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1223120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84049.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	47.0 KB