RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RCV Engines Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rcv-engines-support-145/)
-   -   Loose High Speed Needle...RCV 1.20sp (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rcv-engines-support-145/9911838-loose-high-speed-needle-rcv-1-20sp.html)

Razmo 08-04-2010 10:04 PM

Loose High Speed Needle...RCV 1.20sp

I have a new 1.20sp and noticed that the high speed needle has quite a bit of play when opened. When fully closed, it seats fine and feels solid. However, when I open the needle to the recommended 2 turns (less or more) open for break-in, it's very loose feeling. This doesn't seem normal, can anyone confirm?

My idea is to wrap the threads with some teflon tape to achieve a tight fit. Thoughts..?

Raz

mboland 08-05-2010 06:23 AM

RE: Loose High Speed Needle...RCV 1.20sp

Teflon tape only works when tightening a thread. As soon as you reverse the rotation you will loose the seal.

We use fuel tubing over the needle AND base to form a seal with good success. Can be a bit of job stretching it on, but when in place it will seal well for ages.

OR

Try finding a bigger 'O' ring for the needle, maybe an OS or similar.

The carby's on the RCV really do let them down (as does the exhaust).

Razmo 08-05-2010 10:47 AM

Interesting, okay looks like the Teflon tape isn't the solution. Thanks.

Can you help me to understand your fuel tubing method? I don't understand where you are fitting the fuel tubing. Do you mean you slip a piece of fuel tubing slightly above the threads of the high speed needle, therefore the tubing acta as a bushing?

P.S. Can you suggest any protective measures I should take with the exhaust?

Thanks,
Raz

mboland 08-05-2010 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The fuel tubing just slips over the needle and the tube the needle screws into

A pic is easier than words

If the muffler is the standard one with the pressed in end, then it WILL blow the end out.
I found the only effective way of keeping it together was a bead of weld around the end plug seam.
Same as the OS mufflers, they have the end welded on.

Arruda 08-05-2010 01:32 PM

&lt;meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>&lt;meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"/>&lt;meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"/>&lt;meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"/>&lt;link rel="File-List" href="file:///D:\DOCUME~1\bc18\CONFIG~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_fi lelist.xml"></link&gt;<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><![if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]><![if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles></xml><![endif]><![if !mso]>&lt;object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object&gt;<style>st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }</style><![endif]><style>&lt;! Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}@page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 3.0cm 70.85pt 3.0cm; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;}div.Section1 {page:Section1;}&gt;</style><![if gte mso 10]><style> Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Tabela normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style><![endif]><![if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/></xml><![endif]><![if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]><p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US">Razmo:<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US">I have anRCV 90SP and also had trouble with the O ring in the needle. It didn’t resistthe methanol for long and the needle screwed in with vibration, leaning themixture until the engine stopped.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US">The new oneI bought from RCV is doing better (knock in the wood).<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US">As per themuffler, there is no simple solution. <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US">Some peoplehave good results replacing it with an OS muffler, that has a welded tip.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US">I tried theOS muffler but, in my case, the pressure nipple came off with the highertemperature of the engine. The result was a flame out in the air!<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US">After thatI bought a custom muffler from Weston <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region></st1:place> but didn’t try it yet (no planefor this engine at the moment).<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US">I knowKeleo Creations have a nice muffler for your engine. <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US">Mysuggestion is: use the original muffler on the bench until the tip came off. Thenreplace it with one of these aftermarkets. Never fly with the original muffler.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

Razmo 08-05-2010 01:38 PM

I understand now, thanks so much for the picture. You mean to slip the fuel tubing over both ends. I was thinking of filling the gap around the needle instead.

I may try a wrapping the threads with some teflon tap, simply to thicken up the thread so it's a tighter fit. Have you tried this?

I'll be sure to take a look at the exhaust tonight...

Raz

Razmo 08-05-2010 01:46 PM

Arruda,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, my needle seems very loose. Enough to irritate the mixture setting it seems. It seems that a thicker 0 ring may do the trick aling with the fuel tubing solution that mboland mentioned.

RCV, are you going to chime in here? Would you mind sending me a set of O rings that would help tighten up my needle. That is of course, unless you can send me a better fitting high speed needle.

Thanks,
Raz

Razmo 08-05-2010 01:51 PM

Regarding the muffler, any tried some High Temp JB Weld? Supposedly, withstands temperatures up to 500° F.

Raz

Arruda 08-05-2010 02:03 PM

Yes, I have tried JB Weld. It didnt work.

grinder-RCU 08-05-2010 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I put a peice of tubing over the needle. It was a bear getting it on there though. Get the largest you can get and maybe heat it up a bit to soften it up.

Grinder.

Razmo 08-06-2010 10:10 AM

Thanks for all the input guys!

Raz

Razmo 08-07-2010 02:39 PM

You guys pulled the clicker off the carb, right? I pulled the clicker off and fit some fuel tubing over the needle valve. Seems to work nicely. Hope to break her in tomorrow morning.

Also, any reason I shouldn't use my APC 3 blade 15.75x13 for break-in?

Thanks,
Raz