Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Nitro Fuel brands, so many and no all the same! but what do you think?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Nitro Fuel brands, so many and no all the same! but what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:20 AM
FUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Fuel brands, so many and no all the same! but what do you think?

I have see many brands of Nitro on the market, as new user on the RC Nitro hobby I have a lot of questions but one step at the time will be better:
Is there a real diference between brands or its just more of personal preference?

Old 10-10-2010, 09:52 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nitro Fuel brands, so many and no all the same! but what do you think?

Yes there is much differnce in the brands some brands have more oils some have less oil some brands works better with different engines. I have tried at least 4 different brands and the one I am using now is Sidewinder strike Team 30% great power runs cooler so you are able to lean the engine out more for faster speed and best of all you dont have to use after run oil when you are finished. A colse second great fuel is Byrons 30%
Old 10-10-2010, 10:11 PM
FUS

Default RE: Nitro Fuel brands, so many and no all the same! but what do you think?

Thanks, I found some information here on RC Universe about the Nitro and I understand more on the diferences on brands, or at less on a paper level!

So correct me if Im not on the right track, each brand have its own formula for the percents of oils on the mix, and even if two diferent brands use arround the same percent of Nitromethane and Methanol the balance between the castor oil and synthetic oils it's unique and will affect how the engine will perform.

And to make things even more hard, every engine will perform diferent even using the same brand of fuel because of factors like carburetor setup, ambiental temperature and moisture, condition of the engine...

On this terms result imposible to recomend one brand over other... we can maybe only talk on the level of quality of the oils used on the mix by some brands but no which one will make your car run better or worst.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:26 PM
rchobbyunlimited

ORIGINAL: FUS

Thanks, I found some information here on RC Universe about the Nitro and I understand more on the diferences on brands, or at less on a paper level!

So correct me if Im not on the right track, each brand have its own formula for the percents of oils on the mix, and even if two diferent brands use arround the same percent of Nitromethane and Methanol the balance between the castor oil and synthetic oils it's unique and will affect how the engine will perform.

And to make things even more hard, every engine will perform diferent even using the same brand of fuel because of factors like carburetor setup, ambiental temperature and moisture, condition of the engine...

On this terms result imposible to recomend one brand over other... we can maybe only talk on the level of quality of the oils used on the mix by some brands but no which one will make your car run better or worst.
Well I have found with the different brands you most deffintely tell the difference in the fuels when you run them there was a major difference when I switched from traxxes 33% to byrons 30% the engine ran alot cooler so you could lean in you high speed needle more for more power and byrons and sidewinder has always given me crisp clean power instantly with no gurguling. Yes you are on the right track each brand has there own mixture of oil and products that they use. as for as the different nitro running differently in engines i have just found that you will just have to tuned that engine a differently and stiil get great performace. I would just suggest to try different brands and different nitro% and when you fine the nitro that works best for you and your engine to go with that one. rember that when you do change different brands you will have to retune your engine to get the best performance

Old 10-13-2010, 10:03 PM
FUS

Thanks again, well i pay a visit to my local shop and I grab a gallon of sidewinder 30%, It was the only brand on store and the price was not bad ($27) so let see how it works! I still have half of quarter of S&W 20% that I get with my shockwave when I buy it and maybe tomorrow I will just use it playing on the morning after droping the kids on the school and daycare...

I will see if I can get the camera on the tripod and get some short video... by the way, can I use a medium glow plug on my shockwave or I need a Hot one, I ask this because I have a spare but is a medium one and Im not sure really of the diferences on cold, medium and hot glow plugs.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:05 AM
rjsdad

Your right about the temp, engine, etc playing a factor. I was told to stay with 20% nitro...I heard 30% and up are really for high performance engine. The only way to truly test the different brands would be to have each of the fuel run them in the same vehicle....record you data. Too much money for a poor soul like me.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
FUS

yeah same here... plus the local shop here only have the sidewinder, maybe they will bring more later but for the momment its the only option, so until I can test some other brands I will use this gallon... there is the fact that I'm not looking forward to race the car against no one or something like that, as long as the nitro is good and dont damage my engine I'm more than happy for the momment.

I'm looking forward to maybe get a second car, something like the the vortex or the volcano s30, all will depend if we have room to store it and if I feel like I really want another one, my kids are still not ready to get on the controler so its going to be while before we really need more than one to race at the same time.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:05 PM
rjsdad

I see your point. I would like to see a 1/10 two stroke engine...the nitro is awsome and the power is great...I just have a hard time spending that amount for fuel...cal me furgal. LOL
Old 10-14-2010, 04:10 PM
FUS

hahahaha... I dont know how long is going to take me to burn the gallon but is going to be a while!!! I have use maybe half of the original quart of nitro at this point and we are talking two weeks up to today...
Old 10-14-2010, 04:16 PM
rjsdad

I don't take mine out as much as I used too...I think I have purchased a total of three gallons of fuel. One of the reason was we took about a year off, we (my son and I) got into other things. Now were back! LOL
Old 10-20-2010, 07:45 PM
lvh

I know the guy who makes s&w fuel i won't go in to it to big but unless you are racing you don't need 30% all my guys run s&w fuel and i have yet to have a complaint been selling it for 2 years now.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I've had the best luck with Byron Fuels in my planes.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:53 AM
rchobbyunlimited

ORIGINAL: lvh

I know the guy who makes s&w fuel i won't go in to it to big but unless you are racing you don't need 30% all my guys run s&w fuel and i have yet to have a complaint been selling it for 2 years now.
Or want to go faster!!! S&W is a good product i have used there 20% and 30% and there fuel was okI have been selling S&W for a year now with no problems. But the sidewinder makes your engine run much cooler and faster response which alows you to tune your engine more for faster speed.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:18 AM
nitronut423

I swear by S&W 20% its not the cheapest and its hard to find except online. find it at rctoysnh.com
Old 12-30-2010, 08:02 AM
1ofmyfuns

This is the fuel I've orderedMaxy's Pro Racing Fuel 20% Nitro 12% oil ContentCastrol & Syntheticoils
I paid $38.82 for a Gallon shipped to my door... Has anyone else used this fuel?
If so what is your experience with it?
Thanks, ShanG.

link to ebay seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-GALLON-20-Nitr...item1e60615378