Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Help Tornado S30 Wont move!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Torch39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Tornado S30 Wont move!!

Was just using my RC Buggy and all was fine but then all of sudden it stoped moving. The clutchbell and spur gears are spinning but when I hit thegas the engine revs but the car goes no where. Ichecked all the dog bones including the drive shaftonces and there all there seem to be in working order. All i can think it isthen is the clutchwent bad. Iam looking to confirm before Iorder a new clutch thxs..
Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Help Tornado S30 Wont move!!

ORIGINAL: Torch39

Was just using my RC Buggy and all was fine but then all of sudden it stoped moving. The clutch bell and spur gears are spinning but when I hit the gas the engine revs but the car goes no where. I checked all the dog bones including the drive shaft onces and there all there seem to be in working order. All i can think it is then is the clutch went bad. I am looking to confirm before I order a new clutch thxs..
if the spur gear is spinning, the the clutch is fine. if the clutch wasnt engaging then it wouldnt be turning the spur gear. does the spur gear spin when you hit the gas and the car is on the ground? or does the spur gear spin when you have it off the ground? if the spur only spins with the buggy's wheels off the ground then yes, it is something wrong with the clutch.
if none of the dog bones or center drive shafts are broken, then it sounds like the center tranny(diff) had something fail inside it.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Torch39

Ihave to check that. Iknow the spur gear was spinning when the buggy was off the ground but Idid not check when it was on the ground. It is making a clicking noise and something is hanging up when u roll it bye hand. Ucan feel something hanging up then it makes a click noise as you roll the car.

What do you mean bye center diff??
Old 12-02-2010, 11:18 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it sounds like the center diff are bad on the inside especialy if it spins while its off the ground the clicking noise is probaly the center diff gears on the inside grinding as the teeth has wore down.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Torch39

Your losing me when you say center diff. Do you mean the front and rear gears that are under plastic housing where the driveshaft dogbones go into then comes out to the wheel dogbones??
Old 12-02-2010, 11:42 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

im talking about part # 06041
here is the exploded view of the tornado s30 on redcats site: http://www.redcatracing.com/c.849850...e/tornado.html
that part is called a center diff. it takes the spinning of the spur gear and transfers that motion to the MAIN drive shafts. the power then goes to the front and rear diffs, which transfer the power to the dogbones-to the wheels.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Torch39

Im a little confused (noob). the part number 06041 is getting me the entire 2 speed transmission. It includes the spur gears, clutch , and plastic case it looks like. No mention of a center diff... I am beyond confused.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Im a little confused (noob). the part number 06041 is getting me the entire 2 speed transmission. It includes the spur gears, clutch , and plastic case it looks like. No mention of a center diff... I am beyond confused.
the center diff IS the spur gear and plastic case. the clutch is metal and attatched to the motor.
are you sure that none of the driveshafts are broken?
try spinning the front right wheel, while holding the left front wheel. does the center drive shaft(part 02003) spin? does the spur gear spin?
then, do the same with the rear. spin the right rear wheel while holding the rear left and watch to see if the drive shaft(number 06006) spin? does the spur gear spin?

then post the results.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Torch39

I am going to try all that when i get home.
question is the clutch inside the clutch bell?? that on the motor. part numberis attached to the spur gears in the center diff if im not totally losing my mind lol. I am a noob srry if i dont get what your trying to tell me.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Torch39

Ijust did what you said.. Held one tire spun the other for both the rear and front tires. The drive shaft dogbones did spin and so did the spur gears.

Ps. Ijust ran the car for a few mins to see if the spur gear spun with the wheels on the ground. The spur gears are spinning with the wheels on the ground and when u hit the gas.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Torch39

what are the chances it was the rear drive cup?? I just took out the center diff and the rear side drive cup fell off. It might be that.. but wouldnt the front wheels still work then??
Old 12-02-2010, 02:48 PM
RCToysNh

Yup that would do it. Check all drive cups and tighten the grub screws on the flat spots. Try using locktite or rtv to help keep them secure. The one on the brake side must line up with the brake disc.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:21 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the most comon problem is the grub screw comming out.... it has happened to all my redcats...
ORIGINAL: RCToysNh

Yup that would do it. Check all drive cups and tighten the grub screws on the flat spots. Try using locktite or rtv to help keep them secure. The one on the brake side must line up with the brake disc.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:51 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

what are the chances it was the rear drive cup?? I just took out the center diff and the rear side drive cup fell off. It might be that.. but wouldnt the front wheels still work then??
no. the center diff is not locked. it will send power to the wheels that will turn the easiest. in this case, all the power was being sent to the loose drive cup.
its the same as when say, your left tire comes off the ground and spins fast, but the tire on the right which is touching the ground may not turn at all. thats the job of a diff. to allow the 2 sides to spin at different speed. the center diff does this also.
anyway, just re-screw that drive cup and you should be good. use locktite on the grub screw so it wont happen to you again.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Torch39

Iloctited and put the drive cup back on. Did not fix the problem. Car still wont move I think im going to replace part number 02045 see if that fixes it. When I had it apart I found out what was clicking. Part of part 02045 is hanging loose and checking a lip on the spur gear. That is causing it to hang up.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Torch39

Itook abour my center diff. Iwas inspecting it for dmg. Inoticed on the main gear that there is a bearing of some sort. It does not look like it is in good shape. Iwas wondering if that bearing is bad would it be causing my buggy to not move. Something tells me Iordered the wrong part. If anyone knows what part number that is would be a great help too.

I found the part http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/Redcat-Parts/06267 it says one way bearing. My spur gear deffantly spins in both directions even when holding the shaft it sits on with your hand. Iam thinking that my problem. 2 speed tranny was broke too lol so not a wasted part.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:10 AM
ricerkid
My Feedback: (1)

i had this problem too. my OWB ( one way bearing ) was shot and spun the spur gear (tore the teeth off) so i replaced those 2 and i was up and going, then i burned up the clutch inside the trans.. so i just decided to rebuild my trans with 1 metal gear, plastic spur, and a new clutch and brake.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Torch39

Update. My tornado is up and running. It was the One way bearing that failed in my center diff. Ireplaced that and the 2 speed tranny clutch while Iwas at it and she running like new again!!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:32 PM
JTPSTEALTH

Good to see you're back up and running! This happened to mine about a week after I got it. Was a different problem, but I figured I'd share for anyone else who runs into it. What happened to mine was the same condition, just driving and all of a sudden nothing. I found that it had actually stripped the main (1st) gear in the center housing. I guess I had not meshed the motor to the gears tight enough and after running for a while it was wearing down the teeth on the gear. The teeth were all flat and wasn't making contact with the spur gear. I replaced the gear and all was good again. 6 months later with no problems. Except for broken suspension pieces from driving at my work. (Auto shop with lots of large objects that don't move.) But aside from my errors, I am very happy with this vehicle. It's my first real rc car and first nitro anything. I love it!