Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

redcat volcano s30 need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:20 PM
thunder5005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: redcat volcano s30 need help

question how can i remove the factory paint on the bodies and what paint would i use to repaint them?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:22 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: thunder5005

question how can i remove the factory paint on the bodies and what paint would i use to repaint them?
im not sure it this will work on factory paint(silkscreened)
but on a clear body that someone has painted themselves with lexan spray paint, brake fluid removes the paint without hurting the lexan.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:38 AM
thunder5005

well good news everyone on the 13th which is next sunday as long as the weather report is right its gonna be like 48 degrees, i will have enough fuel and the roto start i needed for the volcano , i have the tmaxx already waterproofed and i am working on waterproofing the volcano now. i will have it done by then, so me and wife gonna break both of the trucks in on that sunday i will let u guys know how it goes, wish me luck lol
Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 AM
thunder5005

i did notice something about the hpi savage x 4.6, its almost cheaper to buy the savage xl wit the 3 speed tranny already in it, well unless u already own the savage x 4.6 like u do, i looked around for the upgrade for the tranny for urs cheapest i found it was like 110 and i think on hpi's site it was like 135 or 150 if i remmber correctly.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:10 AM
thunder5005

question what would be the best electric rock crawler or monster truck to get for my son hes only 5 years old and hes very hard on rcs. i want to get him one that is gonna last for an while and not break apart all to heck lol. any suggestions? i really don;t want to get him an nitro on the account of that hes too hard on rcs and as his father hes way too wild atm to operate an something that fast. i mean not to down my son hes good wit electric toy rc cars, very good at controlling em but he seems to want to crash em into stuff. Thats my reason for perferring to him an electric rc vs nitro. and the way i look at it electric would be easlier to fix incase he does break something on it.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:53 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

question what would be the best electric rock crawler or monster truck to get for my son hes only 5 years old and hes very hard on rcs. i want to get him one that is gonna last for an while and not break apart all to heck lol. any suggestions? i really don;t want to get him an nitro on the account of that hes too hard on rcs and as his father hes way too wild atm to operate an something that fast. i mean not to down my son hes good wit electric toy rc cars, very good at controlling em but he seems to want to crash em into stuff. Thats my reason for perferring to him an electric rc vs nitro. and the way i look at it electric would be easlier to fix incase he does break something on it.
the HPI wheely king is a pretty sturdy truck. its not a true crawler, but can go through/over alot. it pulls wheelies(thus the name) but isnt super fast.
but it can be made either faster/slower just by changing the pinion gear.
also, if in stock form it doesnt crawl well enough, there are a bunch of upgrades that will help.
basically, its a good sturdy "low speed" monster truck. just make your boy a few simple dirt jumps and he has his own monster jam!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti9LkdkD-3E[/youtube]
Old 02-13-2011, 01:25 PM
thunder5005

well either i have bad luck with nitros or the 2 i got are lemons. i just tried to get the t-maxx 3.3 started eariler and well there was smoke coming off the easy start motor. so appreantly the motor is bad. and i got the roto start on the volcano s30 by taking the motor off and got the lsn back in, but now the carb space is too far out and the screw won;t adjust it back. i think that cyclinder somehow turned around or something i don;t know. since i can;t afford the cost and shipping and everything to sell the trucks on ebay, i guess i will sit out front of my trailer tommorrow and try to get rid of em. i have no other choice i guess. well i just wanted to let u guys know how it went.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:30 PM
thunder5005

hey nitro how do i upload an pic on here i tried once but it wouldn;t let me, i want to take an pic of the carb gap and show it to u.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:01 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

hey nitro how do i upload an pic on here i tried once but it wouldn;t let me, i want to take an pic of the carb gap and show it to u.
dont give up just yet. i mean, i know the volcano has been a headache for you, but the t-maxx should still be worth alittle work!

when you make a post, look below the area you type in.
see the "click here to upload images and files" click that and a window will open which will let you browse your computer and find the image you want.

you got the t-maxx new right? did you get it on ebay, or at a hobby shop?
if from a hobby shop, i would see if they will fix the starter motor for you.
was the motor turning when the starter motor smoked? if the motor got flooded, then its too much work for the starter motor and may have caused it to over-heat. but you would have had to be using the electric starter ALOT for that to happen.
a replacement motor shouldnt cost too much. i dont know if traxxas may also replace it for you???

on the volcano, if the idle screw(which adjusts the gap in the intake) wont move the gap, it may be because the carb's slider has rotated into the wrong position.
try rotating the throttle linkage on the carb while trying to screw the idle screw in. the carb's slider has a spot for the idle screw to rest, and the slider may just need to be rotated till you find that spot.

if all else fails, you could post the trucks in RCU's marketplace. if you sell them both, you should make enough to try out a brushless electric truck. far less can go wrong with electrics!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:32 PM
thunder5005

heres a pic of the carb gap
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12628.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1563288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12520.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1563289  
Old 02-13-2011, 06:33 PM
johnr2604

I had the same issue with the idle screw on my s30. Nitro is right that the throttle has a place for it to seat. You may need to rotate/ or push in on the throttle barrel for it to start threading back in.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:35 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

heres a pic of the carb gap
yeh thats a little bit too big of a gap IMO.
find the seat for the idle screw on the slide as was mentioned.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:06 AM
thunder5005

well i tried again just an few ago to get the volcano and tmaxx running and well seems like the ez start motor on the tmaxx 3.3 is bad for sure, and the volcano isn;t wanting to pump fuel from the fuel tank into the carb, it sounds like to me its not gettting any compression, so that would mean the motor is shot. i can;t afford to sell em on ebay or on the net, and i doubt in the small town i live in that anyone would buy em. i kinda wish now i had bought an hpi savage xl 4.6 instead of the volcano and tmaxx. oh well nothing i guess i can do about it now.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:53 PM
thunder5005

well wifes dad got the tmaxx running firgured out that is was just flooded and that it burned out the glow plug, as for the volcano hes looking at it atm.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:03 PM
johnr2604

Glad to here. I'm sure its something similar on the volcano. I have a couple of nitro's and each one has a little different starting routine especially when it comes to priming.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:31 PM
thunder5005

lmfao so hard me and wifes dad got the tmaxx 3.3 running  but it ate the teeth off of the spur gear and clutch bell gear, i have already ordered steel replacements. and as for the volcano well we got it running gas threw the fuel line but the batt on my drill went dead before we got it started , lmfao again. i am sure once i get the new gears for the traxxas it will run and when i get my black and decker cordless drill batt charged that the volcano will start. just gonna take an little time to get them dialed in pretty much.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:33 PM
thunder5005

oh yea almost forgot to ask is there anything else plastic on the tmaxx that i should replace now before it breaks while i am thinking of it?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 PM
thunder5005

oh yea almost forgot to ask is there anything else plastic on the tmaxx that i should replace now before it breaks while i am thinking of it?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:53 AM
cswtornado

The T-Maxx A arms are pathetic, get the RPM versions. Not metal.
I have a Savage. Biggest money pit ever invented. All the money you don't spend breaking it you spend twice over hopping it up. : /
It IS cheaper to get the XL but it's more fun to get the X4.6 because you can hop it up from ebay chop shops. XL is X with extended chassis and axles with a 3 speed and BP diffs. On ebay and used parts you can get 3 speed for $30, FLM (better) chassis for $60, and the axles and diffs for about $80. So that's $570, you come out of it with the F4.6 engine, which many say is better than the 5.9, and FLM tvps, which are twice as thick as the stockers. Plus you get the fun and experience of wrenching. But then you still need good servos and pipe at the bare minimum. If you sell your 4.6 new you can get $140 and with that get a better engine (PICCO, LRP, STS) and you will rip up any Traxxas or Redcat ever.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:42 PM
rcguy1411

you name the brand and i have broken it the one thing i love about the volcano s 30 is parts are cheap i rippesd the front end off it and it cost $20 .00 to fix broke the same parts om my savage and was out $50.00 i dont care what brand of truck you have if its not put together right it will eat parts my GF got me my Volcano last christmas cause it was all she could aford and i like it alot havent had any problems with reliability the one thing i will note however if you look at the manual the pic of the carb is wrong they have the high speed neadle and low speed neadle marked backward high speed neadle is suposed to be the one where the fuel line goes into the carb (this may be cause of some of your tuning problems ) one you get it sorted out it is a fun truck as for parts get extra break disk and a spur gear clutch parts and upgrade the shocks same parts are needed for the tmaxdepend on how much you abuse the truck
Old 02-18-2011, 06:53 PM
thunder5005

well nitro we had the volcano s30 running 3 times today but the engine like went outta control started idling up way high so we shut it off, just to find out the roto start gear is stripped. so i think u was right when u said u preferr an pull start. they seem like they may be easiler to fix. i ordered one off of ebay for like 29 bucks which including shipping which isn;t too bad compared to what they cost u on redcats site. so guess i gotta wait on the new spur and clutch bell gear for the traxxas and the pull start for the volcano before i can get rest of the way broke in. i just hope the good weather we been having holds out. in last 5 days weather has been 50s-70s.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:08 AM
thunder5005

well me and father in law got the tmaxx spur gear that got ate up cause the factory one is plastic replaced wit an steel one yesterday, but as the weather looks now rain for an few days. its gonna be an while before i can finish the break in process.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:53 PM
thunder5005

well i took the tmaxx 3.3 out today got it running and ran one more tank out while running it up and down the driveway but , just as i was almost outta fuel the pads on the slipper clutch burnt out, where would be an good place on the net to get better replacements?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:35 AM
thunder5005

hey nitro heres something funny for you, yesterday i had the tmaxx 3.3 up at father in laws running it up and down the sidewalk and across the road, and well remmber when u said if i jumped it 6 foot or more it would break the front bulkheads, well i didn;t jump it but i did break the bulkheads by hitting the curb across the road. the sad part is i only hit it going like maybe 5 miles an hour lmfao. i also busted the front skid plate. i found an site called rcsuperstore.com and i got aluminum heavy duty bulkheads for the front and back. and i also got heavy duty skid plates for the front and rear. hopefully they won;t break again.