Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

So is the Hurricane XTR a good buggy for racing???

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

So is the Hurricane XTR a good buggy for racing???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:10 PM
All-or-Nothing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So is the Hurricane XTR a good buggy for racing???

I have been debating whether to convert my Earthquake 3.5 to a Backdraft 3.5 to race or I might just get the Hurricane XTR. I have a Serpent but a back-up buggy is always a good thing. Plus the Hurricane could double as basher since my Serpent pretty much only runs on our local track.

So.........would the Hurricane XTR make a good racer....with the right tuning and upgrades of course.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:42 PM
McWolf_101

Default RE: So is the Hurricane XTR a good buggy for racing???

Hello there A-o-N. Regarding whether or not the Hurricane XTR would be good enough to race, I believe that it is possible to race with ANY buggy "with the right tuning and upgrades of course" . However, below is a link to a video that I think would best answer your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfdB52h0CYU

Hope this helps .

Old 04-02-2011, 04:02 AM
formula87

The XTR is Redcats Pro series.   It is better and stronger then the 8e series and yes I know people how race it and do well..  I have an EQ that I converted to a BD but it is a heavy platform for racing another on the redcat forums races his BD. I would go for the XTR.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:10 PM
travwhit

I just bought a 2011 Hurricane XTR with the SH 28 P3 slide carb which I just got broke in good with O'Donnell 20%. She has always cranked on the first or second pull and so far it has passed my expectations and few minor problems to report, it vapor locks on hard wot when I shut down in the corners. I have adjusted too rich where it was bogging/flame out and turned the needle in one hour at a time untill I thought was the sweet spot. Taking it around and momentarily blipping the throttle does fine but the high speed track where you hold top speed for several seconds at a time it sounds fine but vapor locks when I come down, and nothing but letting it cool will get you started again. When I take it to my work table and pull the cover there is no fuel in the line and when I hold a piece of leather over the exhaust and pull start, I see fuel going to the carburater. I am going to enlarge the hole around the top of the head tonight to see if that helps and if not I'll add caster oil as this engine seems over powered to the moon! Needs higher gears but I dont 't know if the drive train will hold up long and untill I get this snaffu fixed, I ain't wanting to upgrade new clutch and ecetera. Does anyone out there have any suggestions that they might enlighten me besides Don't run wot for so long, I'm tired of hearing that and other people are getting away with running wot, what gives?
Old 06-16-2011, 01:05 AM
iluvny081

ORIGINAL: travwhit

I just bought a 2011 Hurricane XTR with the SH 28 P3 slide carb which I just got broke in good with O'Donnell 20%. She has always cranked on the first or second pull and so far it has passed my expectations and few minor problems to report, it vapor locks on hard wot when I shut down in the corners. I have adjusted too rich where it was bogging/flame out and turned the needle in one hour at a time untill I thought was the sweet spot. Taking it around and momentarily blipping the throttle does fine but the high speed track where you hold top speed for several seconds at a time it sounds fine but vapor locks when I come down, and nothing but letting it cool will get you started again. When I take it to my work table and pull the cover there is no fuel in the line and when I hold a piece of leather over the exhaust and pull start, I see fuel going to the carburater. I am going to enlarge the hole around the top of the head tonight to see if that helps and if not I'll add caster oil as this engine seems over powered to the moon! Needs higher gears but I dont 't know if the drive train will hold up long and untill I get this snaffu fixed, I ain't wanting to upgrade new clutch and ecetera. Does anyone out there have any suggestions that they might enlighten me besides Don't run wot for so long, I'm tired of hearing that and other people are getting away with running wot, what gives?
THIS AN EXELLENT ENTRY IN MY OPINION, I HAD THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM WITH MY MONSOON XTR A COUPLE YEARS AGO, AFTER THAT I WENT TO ELECTRIC AND HAVENT HAD A PROBLEM YET. I'D REALLY LIKE SOME INSIGHT ON THIS PROBLEM. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:13 AM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

Obviously you're seeing vapor lock because there is too much heat. I assume you've tried richening your mixture..?
Old 06-16-2011, 02:06 PM
iluvny081

i knew mine was getting too hot when it was doing it, but if i richened it up it either had no power or just wouldnt stay running, i never could find that sweet spot between the hsn,lsn, and idle screw. i think i am coming down with a case of amnesia because i am really jonesing for a nitro 1/8 buggy.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:58 PM
travwhit

Yes there is too much heat, so much that it is melting my breather canister where it touches the head. I leaned out the LSN till I could pinch the fuel tube and say "one mississippi.." and it would speed up, then I adjusted the HSN richening and leaning it in one hour increments until I found the sweet spot and then richend it out one hour. It was a little better, but it just isn't going to handle full WOT for long. I added four teaspoons of caster oil to my 500 ML fueling bottle (that's one teaspoon per tank) which did not affect performance that I can tell, and it is better yet. I think that this problem is connected with fuel flow, this mill has only three ports but a six port engine would flow more fuel at high RPM'S thus keep it cooler. Maybe when I buy another engine, I will do some porting on this engine but for now, I am happy with the way this one operates. It still trys to die but if I stay on top of it (if I can hear the engine) blipping the throttle a little keeps it alive along with my reputation. [8D]