Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

8E questions

Old 04-03-2011, 08:15 PM
matt n rachael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8E questions

Hi all,
I have a backdraft 8E. I am considering a new 18 tooth pinion gear. What is the appropriate pitch?
Also, I've been considering the cooling fan for the motor. Is it worth the effort to install it? How much effect does it have on the battery life?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:29 AM
St33v3
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 8E questions

ORIGINAL: matt n rachael

Hi all,
I have a backdraft 8E. I am considering a new 18 tooth pinion gear. What is the appropriate pitch?
Also, I've been considering the cooling fan for the motor. Is it worth the effort to install it? How much effect does it have on the battery life?
Cooling fan on the motor won't have any effect on the battery life. It will have effect on motor temperature.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MOD 1 pitch on the gears.
and yeh, a fan uses soo little power you wont notice any difference in runtimes.
generally, a heatsink/fan will drop temps 10-15 degrees.
redcat has a heatsink for the 8E's, but not one with a built in fan
if you are gonna gear up, make sure you keep an eye on temps. i think the stock gearing is very good for offroad. for onroad/speed runs you can get away with gearing up without issue.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 AM
matt n rachael

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

MOD 1 pitch on the gears.
and yeh, a fan uses soo little power you wont notice any difference in runtimes.
generally, a heatsink/fan will drop temps 10-15 degrees.
redcat has a heatsink for the 8E's, but not one with a built in fan
if you are gonna gear up, make sure you keep an eye on temps. i think the stock gearing is very good for offroad. for onroad/speed runs you can get away with gearing up without issue.
I don't know what you mean when you say "MOD1 pitch on the gears."
The fan I was referring to was the one that is listed on R-U-FASTER's site.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
JTuepker1

mod 1 pitch i think he meant one tooth. I do believe it is a 32 pitch for the gear.
The cooling fan attached to the motor mounted heatsink. Good pickup if you plan on getting upgraded batterys as the longer the motor runs the hotter it gets.

The cooling fan barely will cut run time at all. But will reduce temps quite a bit.

Honestly i run a 16 tooth pinion and the stock gear on the diff, i get out of the hole and still have nice top end for the long straights.

Matt you plan on racing or just playing around and bashing.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: JTuepker1

mod 1 pitch i think he meant one tooth. I do believe it is a 32 pitch for the gear. The cooling fan attached to the motor mounted heatsink. Good pickup if you plan on getting upgraded batterys as the longer the motor runs the hotter it gets.

The cooling fan barely will cut run time at all. But will reduce temps quite a bit.

Honestly i run a 16 tooth pinion and the stock gear on the diff, i get out of the hole and still have nice top end for the long straights.

no, mod 1 refers to the pitch. they are not 32 pitch, its a module 1 pitch. i called redcat to confirm this
any decent hobby store will have mod 1 pinion gears. you can find them on ebay as well.
just make sure you get one for the size shaft of the motor. i think the 8e's motor has a 5mm shaft, but it may be a 3mm. youd have to check that.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 AM
JTuepker1

Ah i got mine from ebay typed in redcat 16 tooth pinion and got one. Worked. Ill go ask about the mod 1 gears. Wanting to try a 17 tooth.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:09 PM
matt n rachael

Not planning to race just yet, I just got back into this and I have alot to learn/re-learn. I'm just looking for a little more top end.

Thanks to everyone for the info!

mod 1 pitch i think he meant one tooth. I do believe it is a 32 pitch for the gear.
The cooling fan attached to the motor mounted heatsink. Good pickup if you plan on getting upgraded batterys as the longer the motor runs the hotter it gets.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:55 PM
matt n rachael

Hey nitrosportsandrunner, what does mod1 mean? I understand thatit refers to the pitch,but how?If I am looking to put a 17 or 18 tooth pinion in there, (backdraft), what mod/pitch should I look for?

Thanks,
Matt

Edit: What is the pitch on the stock gear, and does the pitch change when tooth count changes?
ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

mod 1 pitch i think he meant one tooth. I do believe it is a 32 pitch for the gear. The cooling fan attached to the motor mounted heatsink. Good pickup if you plan on getting upgraded batterys as the longer the motor runs the hotter it gets.

no, mod 1 refers to the pitch. they are not 32 pitch, its a module 1 pitch. i called redcat to confirm this
any decent hobby store will have mod 1 pinion gears. you can find them on ebay as well.
just make sure you get one for the size shaft of the motor. i think the 8e's motor has a 5mm shaft, but it may be a 3mm. youd have to check that.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

mod 1 IS the pitch. i dont really know why some gears have a # for the pitch and some are a mod 1 or mod .08(like the epx pros)

the pitch is the angle of the teeth. this stays the same no matter the number of teeth.

so, if you get a 17 or 18t pinion that says mod 1 (or module 1) it will have the correct pitch for the 8e.