Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:13 PM
matt n rachael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice needed!

I want to put an 18 tooth pinion on my backdraft 8E. Only problem is that the grub screw that holds the gear on the shaft is stripped out so that my allen wrench just spins in the screw.
How can I overcome this hurdle?

Thanks in advance
Matt
Old 05-01-2011, 10:25 PM
masterhacker1989

Default RE: advice needed!

Buy a GOOD aftermarket pinion gear, that is assuming you are using a stock one, or crappy aftermarket one. The stock ones are so crappy that the pinion gear will actually get chewed up by the spur gear. I like Robinson racing ones personally
Old 05-02-2011, 03:47 PM
matt n rachael

You missed my question,the screw in my current pinion gear is stripped, I can't remove it. How do I remove a srtipped grub screw?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:05 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use a dremel to make a slit in the grub screw, you will make a slit in the pinion also but thats ok, then use a small regular screw driver to get it out, works pretty good for almost all stripped screws. Found this to be one of the best uses of a dremel besides cutting bodies.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:53 PM
matt n rachael

ORIGINAL: ehroof

use a dremel to make a slit in the grub screw, you will make a slit in the pinion also but thats ok, then use a small regular screw driver to get it out, works pretty good for almost all stripped screws. Found this to be one of the best uses of a dremel besides cutting bodies.
This sounds good. Had not thought of this. Thx.
Will report back.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:57 PM
masterhacker1989

You are correct, I did miss your question,I was wasting time before bed last night, and I was tired, but do the dremel thing, and get a good pinion gear, worst case scenario you have to cut off the pinion gear, they are super soft metal, and should cut off easy
Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
iluvny081

if your still having trouble there is the old tried and true way to get the pinion off, you need to be carefull not to scratch up the motor casing but it has always worked for me in a bind. Take a pair of needle nose plyers and grip the motor shaft tightly near the base where it comes out of the motor, and then take a pair of wire cutters, (considering you are working with a larger motor and shaft, the bigger the wires cutters the easier it will be for you) now put the flat end of the wire cutters afanst the needle nose plyers where they are gripping the shaft and use the ramped part of the wire cutters to press on the pinion gear and make it slide up the shaft. keep repeating this until you get the piniont off. good luck.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:31 AM
JTuepker1

I had to actually take a propane torch to my pinion on mine. Tried to break free with rust east and stuff and no such luck heated for like 15 seconds and screw came right out and i had a damp towel to cool off immediately afterwords.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:16 PM
matt n rachael

ORIGINAL: JTuepker1

I had to actually take a propane torch to my pinion on mine. Tried to break free with rust east and stuff and no such luck heated for like 15 seconds and screw came right out and i had a damp towel to cool off immediately afterwords.
Wish I had thought of this!
I tried the Dremmel route and this has turned into a fiasco! As it turns out, the grub screw is recessed in the motor mount and i could only get a little piece of it, not enough to be effective. I think that I am now locked into carefully cutting the gear off of the shaft. Unless of course one of you can save me with another good suggestion.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:33 AM
masterhacker1989

Cut it off diagonally to the shaft, or inline with the shaft under the screw, Ive done it before on Rc cars with steel pinion gears. its not all that hard. I wouldn't recommended heating anything on a electric motor up, its a recipe for disaster, maybe as a last resort or something.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just go straight down the center of the grub screw with the dremel's cutting wheel, it will back right out. I must have done it a million times.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:38 PM
matt n rachael

This is what I tried to do. Unfortunately, do to the goofy setup of the motor mount. I was unable to get to the center of the grub screw.
ORIGINAL: ehroof

just go straight down the center of the grub screw with the dremel's cutting wheel, it will back right out. I must have done it a million times.