Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Tornado S30: Cant start the bloody thing!

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tornado S30: Cant start the bloody thing!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:03 PM
u4iia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado S30: Cant start the bloody thing!

Hey guys,

I have been running my buggy (S30) since Nov last year. I am still consider my self a nitro newb. Anyways, Icould not get the dang thing started. Basically was frustrated and gave up for a few months. So, im back, im ready and i am going to get the dam thing started one way or another. Here is what I have done....

1. Replaced Glow plug several times (Hot type)
2. Fully Charge ignitor
3. I use my drill w/backplate
4. I took the glow plug out and added cpl drops of fuel
5. closed HSN and LSN and backed them both out 3 turns
6. I use Sidewinder 20% (red stuff)
7. Sometimes I will remove the glowplug and turn upside down to get any excess fuel out

It hates me, bad. It sputtered a couple of times and also ran a couple times until i removed the ignitor. I cant seem to get the magic number of turns on the LSN or HSN. I have spent hours trying to start. Either im really doing something incorrect or something is not working. How should I attack this?Thank you in advance!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:27 PM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Tornado S30: Cant start the bloody thing!

I've been going through the same thing with my Backdraft, so take what Isay with a grain of salt. I'm waiting on a new one way bearing now so I haven't been able to do much else.

If it's running with the glow plug igniter on and dying when you take it off, it's probably not getting hot enough.Sounds like you know this (and added the hot glow plug), so there's your sanity check. Leaning it out should make it run hotter. Double check the stock settings for theHSN and LSN before you do anything I know Iread half a dozen wrong "factory settings" before Redcat told me what was right. Then lean the HSN out until it will idle correctly. If you have to lean it out too much, you might want to turn it back a bit and lean the LSN.

Like Isaid, I haven't gotten mine running, but what Ithought was the factory setting whenI was trying was VERY rich. Now that I know I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get it when my parts get here Friday.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:19 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try 2 out on the 2 needles, also if you let it sit for a while its possible the needles have gotten gummed up, i had this happen to an sh carb on one of my rc's, i took the carb off, took the needles out, sprayed it all down with some mooter cleaner from cow rc but regular carb cleaner will work also, try to get one without any bleach/chlorine. Mine would run a few seconds then turn off...... I would go with leaner needle settings first. Also check your needles by taking them out and making sure there is a point on them, i have seen them break at the end when they are put in too tightly, this will make for either a very lean running engine or a rich one depending on where the point of the broken needle is.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:58 PM
u4iia

Ok guys. I removed and cleaned the carb per the redcat videos. Needles looked good. Backed the HSN and LSN 2 1/4 turns. I took the glowplug out and had to put several drops of full directly in cylinder to start it. Got it started. Ran without the igniter, open the throtlle a couple times, no smoke, maybe to lean? Adjusted the idle so wheels stop spinning, opened throttle again and it died. What do I adjust?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:10 PM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

If there's no smoke with the throttle open its too lean
Old 05-18-2011, 05:19 PM
ehroof

you want to richen (turn counter clockwise) the high and low needles, try a 1/2 turn on each. this should get your mix closer
Old 05-18-2011, 05:28 PM
u4iia

Ok I got her running good. Man, i tinkered with that thing for 4 hours non stop finding thr magic mixture. It was gratifying though, im glad I didnt give up. I can see where someone new could get frustrated and shelf it. I bought a temp gun for it. What should my temp range be for that motor?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:51 PM
ehroof

between 200 and 270 depending on how your running it and the outside temps, 270 would be running on a hot day and alot of high speed running.