Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

redcat trucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM
BoUnTyHnTr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redcat trucks

Which truck is better? volcano s30 or theCaldera 3.0

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:18 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: redcat trucks

They are both good trucks, just different. The caldera is a 2 speed, i like that. The volcano has 8 shocks instead of the 4 on the caldera. I personally like the caldera but you cant go wrong with the volcano, the platform has been around for a few years.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Cha1nz

i just baught a caldera 3.0 and to be perfectly honest it was a waste of money the truck only wants to run when it decides to run i have many other trucks and buggies and they are all by losi and this caldera i got for my son and i cant get it to run very long if at all never have any issues out of my losi rc's but this thing is just a POS IMHO...

The truck runs good for 5 mins then stalls like it out of gas revs up like ur pinching the gas line then its flooded have to go through a big hassle to get it to startt again when u do it does the same thing 5 mins later i'm so sick of messing with already i'm abhout to though it in the trash and give my kid my losi truggy it has a big block 4.27 and runs like a champ easy to tune never stalls... maybe i just got a bad motor or somehting i have checked or air leaks everything seems to hold pressure wont even start at stock settings tried another suggestion someone said to turn the HSN and LSN out 3 turns and that should get it running yea right you can pull on the cord for 2 hours and not start it has good compression just wont fire up brand new glow plugs even took the one out of my losi truggy that was running good and tried it and nothing all my plugs light up with the ingnighterthey are not bad... No idea short of taking it all apart oh well try to get away cheap for a kid so he don't have to use a $800+ car and there is always that old saying

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR....

sorry not bashing redcat trucks and buggies i'm sure some are very good but just my own personal expierence with one truck in general and it aint even ran 2 qaurts of gas through it its just been getting me so frustrated i don't know what else to do but chuck it

regaurds

Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 AM
ehroof

sounds like its running lean, how did the break in go? I have to say that sh engines are nice and easy. I also have many rc's from every company out here (over 100) and i was pretty impressed with the caldera, especially for the money. Usually when an engine runs for a few mintues and quits when it gets hot/warm and hard to sater is a sign of a blown or overheated engine. What temps are you getting on it?
Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 AM
xON3MERCx

You could sell it to me.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:57 PM
soldier5050

Caldera is a piece of crap IMO. Have had nothing but problems with it . I have yet to have it running a week without break downs . But Redcat products seem to have that effect !!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Cha1nz

Temp never gotten over 230... break in was fine everything ran good for like a week after the break got about 1 quart of gas through it then took it to the local track to let my son run it started it up and he made 2 laps we checked the heat got to 210 mind you he is 12 yrs old and is scared to drive it hard so its never even been wide open but once or 2 twice when i drove it for 5 mins he scared to even hit the jumps on the truck so the truck hasnt been bashed or ran hard at all.. then it just started stalling out and not starting tried everything no luck with it i have have for the most part kept the truck running a little rich cuz its been like 100 degree's out side when its running i know how to tune i have had RC nitro trucks for a long time over 10 yrs its not operator error its something with the fuel i think its getting alot of air bubbles in the lines i have replaced the lines still get the bubbles its just running till it hits the bubbles in the line next is try a new tank i think i don't know i'm not gonna dump to much more money in it already put xp 1015 servos on it so i got a 185 dollar truck that wont run with $200 worth of servos on it lol oh well i'm sure i'll figure it out but ready to run the truck wasn't the shocks in the rear both leak like a sive it was missing screws from the gas tank and front shock towers when i opebned the box lol oh well fixed all that in 5 mins not a problem i just think it was poorly put together and not worth the buy... more work then it should be for RTR

its justbeen one of those frustrating things that get on ur nerves i have lots of extra parts but nothing i have fit that truck and i have ordered about everything extra i could for it now incase something breaks but hell cant even run it on the track to break something lol

Old 06-17-2011, 02:21 PM
ehroof

try some fuel proof sponge in the tank, that may help with the bubbles without putting a new tank, check the cap also, make sure that its holding pressure, those tanks need to be pushed down to seal.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:37 AM
barney 5
My Feedback: (231)

your sucking air somewhere. i've had several sh motors and imo they are bulletproof and make gobs of power! pull the carb off and make sure the rubber o ring is not pinched or broke, maybe put a small bead of silicone around it to seal tight. also pull the back plate off and put a bead of silicone around the outside edge of it. try changing to new fuel line, if your sucking air it'll never run right, and just keep pissing you off. hope this helps. good luck.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 AM
chumly222

I just got a volcano S30 and I must say, this truck has plenty of power. Probably too much power for running on hard surfaces. I've seen alot of  people complaining because they breaking dogbones, drive cups, ect. Then they say how they run it on hard concrete or  asphalt. Thats what ya get for running an off road truck on road. So far, I'm pretty happy with my purchase. The engine runs great and the transmittion is nice and smooth. So are the brakes. Had to do a little adjusting with the brakes but otherwise a great RTR truck. I would say go for it if you are thinking of buying one of these trucks.  Just don't buy it thinking you can beat the guts out of it and not have to fix anything.  I would also like to add that I wish redcat would offer some kind of wheel made of allumimum instead of  plastic. My one wheel  broke off where it hooks to the hub. fixed with a flat washer tho. Guess anything in the drive train should be made of some sort of metal since that is where all the stress  is at.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:02 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run mine in grass mostly and have been very happy with it. Until Iran it into a pole a full speed and broke the lower A arm, my fault not the trucks. I would not expect any other manufacturers truck to have come out of that unscathed.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:06 AM
chumly222

Exactly my point. that would be like taking a street car in the dirt and stones and expect it to perform. 
Old 08-07-2011, 10:56 AM
jeffie8696

Ihave seen that , its real ugly. It was a CEN touring car on gravel.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:55 PM
silverman1

First are you running good fuel? Fuel that has run good in your other vehicles? If so, pull the engine out, tear it down and check for piston to cylinder pinch. If you can push the piston all the way through the top of the sleeve thats your problem. Is your truck new enough to have your engine covered or checked out by redcat under waranty. Call first and send them a detailed letter about engine break in, fuel used and temps reached. Id check the waranty thing out before engine tear down.

If not warranted check the piston to sleeve clearance as above and if okay reseal engine. Lots of vids on youtube.

Don't feel bad. I had engines from super tiger and traxxas I broke in exactly to procedures reccomended which took dumps on me very quickly.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:15 PM
jeffie8696

Idont think most of us realize what tight tolerance machines our engines are, they dont even have piston rings ! They rely on the piston to clyinder fit which must be very precise . Use fuel with enough oil, Icant stress this enough. If you are not out to win a race then use fuel with lots of oil.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:58 PM
ehroof

Sometimes you have to be weary of too much oil, engines with internal one ways bearings like the sh engines can start to slip with the pull starters. Traxxas fuel is known for having alot of oil.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:01 AM
lakesrunner

Yeah, I found out Traxxas fuel started to make my bearing slip during pull starts. I switched to O'Donnell fuel and the problem slowly went away. No drastic changes in tuning either.