Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Transmission Gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:22 AM
lakesrunner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Gears

I just had a clutch spring break on me. Itheninstalled a new one thats tighter than the stock. While testing out the truck to see how thenew spring is working, I hear a grinding sound. It wasn't the spur which I thought it was since I just had to remesh the gears, but it turns out it was the 2 internal transmission gears, think they are the 19T/27T ones. Would the tighter spring cause this? Wondering if the higher rpm snap off the line could do this.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 AM
ehroof

Default RE: Transmission Gears

how tight of a spring? Did the rpm's rev high then engage? If its too much of a snap its possible but i dont think so. What rc are you talking about?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:59 AM
lakesrunner

I have the Volcano S30, single-speed. I used a traxxas 4146x spring, I didn't change the nylon shoes as they were fine. The rpm's seemed a tad higher, not much but did notice a difference. Maybe apebble or something went inside. With the grinding sound I expected the spur gear because I had to remesh after installing the spring. The gear that sawed the teeth offis the smaller one, but I noticed a small notch out of the larger one that it meshed with. Maybe just a rock or other debris did this but found it funny that it happened after changing the spring since I've had no troubles.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:04 PM
ehroof

The 4146x spring is perfect for that truck, we found out about this years ago when they first came out. I am sure a rock got stuck or something else. Those smaller gears rarely go, i am still running the original ones from my stx, the first generation of the volcano.....
Old 08-13-2011, 02:35 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have to agree, rock in the gears.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:03 PM
lakesrunner

Yeah, I just tested my Volcano out after putting new gears in the transmission. Everything went A-Ok. I'm going to assume I was unlucky and had a piece of debris get in there. Was also thinking maybe when the spring did break, I had try starting it a few times afterunknowing what had happened, when doing this it was engaging right away and could have stripped them due to that? Anyways I'm back in business now.