Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Just picked up a Shredder XT now I have some Questions.

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Just picked up a Shredder XT now I have some Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:56 AM
ShredderGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up a Shredder XT now I have some Questions.

I have been out of the hobby for about 5 or 6 years. My neighbor got a new Redcat Monsoon XTE and was bashing it around so I was bitten by the bug again. I have always owned nitro cars, and trucks never any electrics. So my knowledge is very limited. I decided to go with an electric just for less maintenance. Anyway I took delivery of a new Shredder XT i purchased from www.redcatracingshop.com.

I was like a darn kid all over again. It is funny how RC vehicles can turn grown men into kids hahaha. I did all the necessary standard RC stuff while the batteries charged yesterday. Checked all the nuts, bolts, and screws for tightness. I actually had a few loose ones. So it is good I took the time to do it.

I want to upgrade the motor and ESC. Anyone have any recommendations? This truck is plenty fast in stock form but I know I will get use to the speed and want more.

Next question is what kind of lipo charger is everyone using? I would like one that could charge up to 4 batteries at a time.

Are they are inherant problems with the truck I should look at and fix right away?

I took it out for it's maiden voyage and for $400.00 shipped to your door for the size and fun factor so far. I wont complain about a few problems with it.

Thanks in advance guys for the answers.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:09 AM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Just picked up a Shredder XT now I have some Questions.

I haven't read any good reviews of any chargers that will charge more than one battery at a time,FWIW. Everyone seems to be happy with Hobbywing ESCs. Ihave a 120a with dual 2S 60c nanotech batteries in my Backdraft and it's FAST.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:50 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would be hesitant to put more power to that chassis. its fine on 4s, but if you up the ESC and motor to run 6s you may have issues with the diffs.

but, if speed is your desire, then go for the ezrun 150amp ESC. just make sure to set the punch control all the way down. then run it on a pair of 3s lipos. should be able to up the top speed by 30mph pretty easy. you could go faster, but then higher speed=higher repair bills

i to dont know of any good multi batt lipo chargers.

i have the AC6 charger from www.hobbypartz.com.

its a good charger and only costs $45 shipped. will charge just about and batt you need to charger. buy 2 and for under $100 you can charge 2 lipos at a time.

it will charge the stock lipos in under an hour.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 PM
ShredderGuy

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

i would be hesitant to put more power to that chassis. its fine on 4s, but if you up the ESC and motor to run 6s you may have issues with the diffs.

but, if speed is your desire, then go for the ezrun 150amp ESC. just make sure to set the punch control all the way down. then run it on a pair of 3s lipos. should be able to up the top speed by 30mph pretty easy. you could go faster, but then higher speed=higher repair bills

i to dont know of any good multi batt lipo chargers.

i have the AC6 charger from www.hobbypartz.com.

its a good charger and only costs $45 shipped. will charge just about and batt you need to charger. buy 2 and for under $100 you can charge 2 lipos at a time.

it will charge the stock lipos in under an hour.
Adding 30Mph would be insane! I would guess it probably goes close 30-35mph now. I appreciate the response too. I book marked your ebay link incase I ever need anything. I am going to check out those chargers.

Are the sky lipo 2S 5000mah batteries anygood? That is an insanely good price they have on their site compared to others I searched today.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:37 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have 4 skylipo packs. 3 of 2s 5000mah and one 3s 5000mah. no issues with them yet. they claim 30-60c, and have nice thick wire leads. 3 of mine are the soft case, and 1 is a hardcase pack

thus far, i have been happy with all but 1 item from hobbypartz.com

i had bought one of the gt3b radios, many people like them, i just didnt. not the sites fault, just my preference.

i have also bought several of the t-pro metal geared servos. at $12-$15 a pop they are awsome. plenty of torque for most any 1/10 or crawler or 1/8 scale rc.

iv got an ezrun 35amp system from them as well.

and i had bought some drift tires and a couple of bodies from there as well. always had decent shipping times and packaged well. and the prices are hard to beat.

any order over $50 ships free....gotta love that!

going from 4s to 6s will add about 8 volts to the motor. thats alot more juice! i would highly suggest a temp gun. anytime you go messing with the voltage or gearing of an electric model you want to check the temps on motor/batts/speed control to make sure you wont cook something.
safe motor temps are about 150-160. if it goes above 190 you are in danger of burning it up.

esc shouldnt go above 160 either. 140 tops it better.

lipos shouldnt really get hot at all, maybe 110 or 120 if its a really hot day.

hope that helps!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:22 PM
xerxes

iid haf2 say da best dual charger out rite now is da protek duo. 140ish

da ideal motor upgrade is hobbywing xerun 150a combo. 2000kv motor. ull hav2 re gear 4 temps

id say da only thing u need 2 do, preventative maintanase wise is shim ur diffs. front & reer