Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Install exhaust to manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:49 PM
yaplej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install exhaust to manifold

So I did something probably stupid. At least I feel stupid for doing it. I just finished breaking in my first nitro rc car. An earthquake 3.5 my wife got me for my birthday. I decided to clean the thing up before bringing it in the house and pulled the exhaust off from the exhaust manifold. Well after I finishing cleaning and looking the thing over I tried to put it back on. Lots of time and frustration later the exhaust still isnt on and the rubber gasket is destroyed.

How do I get that darn thing back on? Can I get a new gasket?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:16 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Install exhaust to manifold

I couldnt find jsut the gasket on redcat's site.

but that doesnt mean that www.rufaster.com or www.urchobby.com wouldnt have it. if you cant find it on their sites, you could try emailing them.

another idea is going to a auto parts store, as you can usually find gasket material. then you just cut it to the shape you need.

the truck will run without the gasket, but will be loud/sound like crap and lose some of its power.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:32 PM
yaplej

The problem is that its not really a gasket. Its a fitted rubber thing that the exhaust pipe/tube fits into. Well it does not really fit into it in fact I have not clue how they got the thing in there to begin with. So I still don't have a clue how to get it in once Ido get the replacement part. I see you can buy the exhaust manifold that includes both the rubbery fittings from the engine to the exhaust manifold and the from the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe/tube so there must be some way to install them without destroying the fitting.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: yaplej

The problem is that its not really a gasket. Its a fitted rubber thing that the exhaust pipe/tube fits into. Well it does not really fit into it in fact I have not clue how they got the thing in there to begin with. So I still don't have a clue how to get it in once Ido get the replacement part. I see you can buy the exhaust manifold that includes both the rubbery fittings from the engine to the exhaust manifold and the from the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe/tube so there must be some way to install them without destroying the fitting.
Are you talking about the rubber hose style fitting between the pipe itself and the exhaust header? If you pulled it apart make sure you've cut the zip tie wrapped around it or it'll be very hard if not impossible to stick the pipe back into the hose. After you've got it back in just put a new zip tie on it.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:56 PM
yaplej

No, it's like these.
http://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_21_Savag...p/hpi87049.htm

I went to our local hobbie shop to see if they had any that might work but they only had some for an OC small block engine that were just to small to even try.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:29 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ah, my bad. I was thinking of a different header.

here is the part you want. It comes with a few pieces and is not sold seperatly.

the pic should help you see how it goes together.

part # BS801-015 PM for price
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84812.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1717220  
Old 01-22-2012, 03:43 PM
yaplej

Yah i know what part it is. The problem is physicaly getting the parts together. i got some silicone greese to see if it will help get them together without ruining the gasket. I really dont need the whole kit. I am going to call redcat tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:07 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

my bad, i thought you were missing a part.

wonder why its hard to go together? silicone is usually fairly tough, and you should be able to push it in without it tearing on you.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM
kelynsdad1023

spray a little windex on the gasket before you slip the mnaifold on it and it will slide right on ! and thise exhaust seals or gaskets whatever you wanna call them are available at most local shops !
Old 01-23-2012, 08:27 AM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: yaplej

The problem is that its not really a gasket. Its a fitted rubber thing that the exhaust pipe/tube fits into.
You just described a gasket..

Dab some fuel on it with your finger to lube it before trying next time. And call or email Redcat about a replacement. They don't sell them on the site but they do have them in the shop for rebuilds.