Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

RedCat Caldera 3.0 Not Staying On When Started?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

RedCat Caldera 3.0 Not Staying On When Started?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:09 PM
deathzreap3r760

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RedCat Caldera 3.0 Not Staying On When Started?

Hello there,
There seems to be a problem with my RedCat Nitro RC Car. When I have the car started, and then try to gas it to make it go, it tends to die out.
I always have to restart it and everytime I do the same thing, make the car go and giving it gas to make it run, it always dies out.
Other problems are when I leave it on idle, it tends to just die out(turn off) within about a minute or two.
After that, I have to start it back up again.
Another problem is that when I take off the Glow Plug Igniter, it turns off like automatically not wanting to stay on.
I have already adjusted the idle, high and low speed needle. It still doesn't seem to work properly.
It will not stay on no matter what I try to do. The car is still brand new, just started using it within a couple hours ago as I had to wait within about 4-5 weeks just to get my gas.
I don't know what to do anymore. There is something wrong with the Nitro RC Car.
I have tried everything else to my knowledge and nothing seems to resolve the issue.
What should I do now?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: RedCat Caldera 3.0 Not Staying On When Started?

when you say you only just got it.....have you done the motor breakin process?

nitro motors need to be broken in. this is done buy running them very rich to start with, and tank after tank (usually 4-5 tanks) leaning out the fuel mixture and thus slowly raising the motor temps with each tank of fuel.

If you are trying to drive the car without having done this, then it wont like you very much[&o]

The issues you are describing generally sound as tho its setup very lean (not enough fuel)

When you say it idles for a few minutes and then stops running, does the idle get higher before it dies?

Do you have a temp gun? These are very helpful for tuning nitro motors. They can tell you (in general) if the motor is rich (will not be warm enough) or lean (will run to hot) They can be found for $20-$25 at hobby shops and on ebay.

You may also want to install a new glow plug. Then can get worn, so that the motor will still start but not run right. sometimes a bad carb setting will cause glow plugs to go bad, even tho they have not been used much.

so, get temp gun, new glow plug and reset the needles to factory. If you still have issues, you will want to check all fuel lines, tank, tank cap seal, muffler seal (where it meets motor) for any air leaks.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:35 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds too rich, you can either raise the idle up a little or lean the low needle in a 1/4 turn and try it out, also make sure you keep the igniter on and give it some thottle while off the ground to clear the engine of built up fuel.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM
rjaro7

Same problem here. Brand new. First tank idle went ok. Second tank cant get it to move. If i hold it off the ground at part throttle it runs for 3 seconds and shuts down instantly. Tried needle adjustments and same thing. If i leave ignitor on it powers right up to wot. About how many turns should lsn be.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 AM
bigblueford

I agree with the other replies about break-in and too rich/too lean issues.

One other thing to check is for a broken spring in the clutch......a broken spring will make clutch engagement eratic, and kill the motor. I had this problem on my Caldera 3.0.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:31 PM
rjaro7

i read the post on pinching the fuel line taking 3-5 seconds to kill the engine. my lsn has to be at 4.5 for that to happen . does that seem right. truck will not stay on still though
Old 03-03-2012, 07:12 PM
jhobby

Had the same problems on a brand new Redcat Racing Caldera 3.0. Just could not it to stay running unless the igniter was on the glow plug. Had to send it out to Redcat for them to check out, and they indicated that it was the glow plug had gone bad. They replaced it and made adjustments. Got it back the other day, and had some problems starting it (which caused the pull starter to fail), but eventually got it working. Seems to run well, unfortunately, I've now got other issues (no replacement starters in stock, and a broken spur gear due to trying another brand starter).. My friend said "welcome to the world of RC cars/trucks".
Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 AM
nitrosteve22

ORIGINAL: bigblueford

I agree with the other replies about break-in and too rich/too lean issues.

One other thing to check is for a broken spring in the clutch......a broken spring will make clutch engagement eratic, and kill the motor. I had this problem on my Caldera 3.0.

Had this happen except it had NO clutch spring?!? Yay spare parts box!!! .
Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 PM
deathzreap3r760

Well I just received words from RedCat and they are sending back my RC.
I hope everything was fixed and in working order.
Now its the waiting game.

Thanks to everyone for helping out.
Appreciate it.