Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Caldera 10 e

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Wasiq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caldera 10 e

Hey guys.
I have a caldera xb 10e, which is exactly the same as caldera 10e.
So my bugs pinion has almost completely worn out, after about 20 average runs, and the spur is on its way too, im wondering if it realy wears out that fast? i have a 2s 5 ah battery and the original 3.8 ah nimh battery. Please lemme know what to do? or is it just a normal thing?

Also the front diff keeps making weird noises after a hard hit on the wheels, and when i loosen the diff box and tighten it again, it just vanishes as if it never existed! lols.

And the original servo had 2 issues as far as i can tell,
it isnt metal gear so now it makes slipping noises if i give it the full turn
the servo arm hits the battery case, bummer . had make adjustments.
oh n i want to soften the startup torque of the motor coz it makes 1 or 2 knocking sounds like gear slipping usualy.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:31 AM
JRockZ

Default RE: Caldera 10 e

Wasiq, Sounds like maybe you had your gear mesh way to tight and now you wore everything down, just replace them, its not common for them to wear fast so make sure you check your gear mesh. If you front diff is making noise and your front shafts arent bent and when you loosen the diff case up if the noise goes away then its probably a bad set of gears inside, take it apart and inspect it, and post us some pics lets see whatcha got.
As for the servo, its junk buty yourself a 30 dollar HiTech 645MG you will be much happier with it than a standard servo.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:35 AM
JRockZ

I see RCU still hasnt fixed time outs and whatever othe rerrors,, grrgrrrrrr double post due to them not me!!

Old 02-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Wasiq

ORIGINAL: JRockZ

Wasiq, Sounds like maybe you had your gear mesh way to tight and now you wore everything down, just replace them, its not common for them to wear fast so make sure you check your gear mesh. If you front diff is making noise and your front shafts arent bent and when you loosen the diff case up if the noise goes away then its probably a bad set of gears inside, take it apart and inspect it, and post us some pics lets see whatcha got.
As for the servo, its junk buty yourselfa 30 dollar HiTech 645MG you will be much happier with it than a standard servo.
Here is a pic. Lemme know what u think rock. And how do i adjust the mesh?
ive checked the driving and driven bevel gears in the diff but i havent opened the diff itself coz i dont have a diff fluid available in my country. Bevels seem to be just fine.

I have already got a backup servo, its a bluebird 10.5kg, metal gear servo, so im not bothered there .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88401.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1728926  
Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 AM
JRockZ

ORIGINAL: Wasiq

ORIGINAL: JRockZ

As for the servo, its junk buty yourselfa 30 dollar HiTech 645MG you will be much happier with it than a standard servo.
Here is a pic. Lemme know what u think rock. And how do i adjust the mesh?
ive checked the driving and driven bevel gears in the diff but i havent opened the diff itself coz i dont have a diff fluid available in my country. Bevels seem to be just fine.

I have already got a backup servo, its a bluebird 10.5kg, metal gear servo, so im not bothered there .
Wow! i'd say from the looks of that you have probably just gotten alot of use from it am i right? for sure looks like you need a replacement set of gears there.
As for the diff gears fluid or not, i would take it apart you can keep whats in the gears for now and still inspect the gears but my guess is it probably going to be they are probably dry, ive not yet had to take my diffs apart but from what ive seen how they look in pics etc,,, they look very similar to my ofna diffs. Ofna send thiers out dry when they are new just a bit of grease on them no fluid in them so i think you could at minimum until you get diff fluid take it apart and put it back together with just some grease and or try and do your best to keep in there whats already in there.
Sounds like your set with the servo for now so no worries there.
Good luck!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Wasiq

Well, im not sure if u could say alot of use, last time i took it to the beach and and after full 2 battery discharges it had disintigrated to the current condition. Before that it wasnt soooooooo worn out. What do u think about the mesh? can u tell by the pic if its right? Anyway thanks man i appreciate ur help, will check my diff soon.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:22 AM
JRockZ

no i cant tell by the pic, you can check the red cat site (or maybe its on thier youtube) there is a video on how to change the spur gear which also includes setting the gear mesh,,, looks like your beyond being able to set a decent mesh now, i would order a new spur and pinion NOW then for the time being id say just make your gear mesh tight as possible, just make sure its not to tight that it will cause binding,
 On other RC's ive slightly stripped the spur gear and been able to continue using it by tightening the mesh real tight, but id also run it easily and not whomp on it to hard or try wheelies or anything lol.
 Umm running in sand at the beach ehhhhhh maybe not such a good idea its possible you got sand in there and that is what wroe your gears down.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Wasiq

Yeah, i think the sand too was a contribututing factor. Anyway im ordering 3 spur and 4 pinion gears now. . Will search for the video. Thx