Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Clutch keeps sticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:46 PM
jbnn85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch keeps sticking

why does my clutch keep sticking? i have tried to fix this problem a few times now. does my clutch bell need replaced? i have replaced the shoes and it fixed it of a few min. and then i saw the metal flakes again and the clutch bell keep turning. i have a caldera 3.0.. i noticed that the clutch spring didnt stayinside of the clutch shoeslike i thinkit should. what can i do to fix my problem!!!

Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Clutch keeps sticking

ORIGINAL: jbnn85

why does my clutch keep sticking? i have tried to fix this problem a few times now. does my clutch bell need replaced? i have replaced the shoes and it fixed it of a few min. and then i saw the metal flakes again and the clutch bell keep turning. i have a caldera 3.0.. i noticed that the clutch spring didnt stay inside of the clutch shoes like i think it should. what can i do to fix my problem!!!

did you seat the springs on the pegs properly?

Also, could any of your bearing be bad?

And if the spring didnt stay in the groove for the shoes then the shoes will be grabbing the clutch even at idle speed.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 PM
jbnn85

Ok cool i will check the bearings next. i have the clutch taken apart right now. maybe that is what it is.  i just read on making it to where you clutch grabs at higher rpm. basically lighting the clutch shoes. have you ever tried that? it also said that heavier clutch shoes engage earlier. 
  thank you

Old 10-13-2012, 05:00 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbnn85

Ok cool i will check the bearings next. i have the clutch taken apart right now. maybe that is what it is. i just read on making it to where you clutch grabs at higher rpm. basically lighting the clutch shoes. have you ever tried that? it also said that heavier clutch shoes engage earlier.
thank you

the weight of the shoes will change when they engage (heavier sooner, lighter at higher rpms) but the type of spring can have the same effect. A stronger spring will mean the clutch grabs at higher rpms.

Im wondering if the spring came out of place. that would let the shoes touch the bell even at idle. and if the spring was out of place it may have been scraping against stuff.

There may also be washers which set the distance between the shoes and the clutch bell.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:39 PM
jbnn85

so i checked the bearings and they are ok. cleaned them and lubed them a little. i drilled 3 little holes in each clutch shoe. and that is working so far i drove it at half speed for about 15 min. i found a few more little metal flakes, but the clutch seems to be doing good.

when i get it over half throttle the motor cuts out. Does that mean i am running it to rich? when it is stopped and i punch it to full throttle it takes off then get to a certain speed and they it just stops. but it blows out smoke the hole time and right before it stops it blows out a bunch of smoke. i wonder what it might be thats the only problem i am having with it right now .