Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Diff upgrades for Hurricane XTR

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 PM
davidgp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff upgrades for Hurricane XTR

All three differentails in my Hurricane XTR are slipping. Total run time is less than 1 hour, and I've never opened the diff cases before. I can rebuild the diffs if necessary, but I'm afraid they will just wear out again. Are there any upgrades available? I guess I could just use the grub screw to lock the diffs also.

Thanks.

David
Old 01-19-2013, 04:41 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Diff upgrades for Hurricane XTR

ORIGINAL: davidgp

All three differentails in my Hurricane XTR are slipping. Total run time is less than 1 hour, and I've never opened the diff cases before. I can rebuild the diffs if necessary, but I'm afraid they will just wear out again. Are there any upgrades available? I guess I could just use the grub screw to lock the diffs also.

Thanks.

David
What do mean when you say the diffs are slipping? Are you saying the diff gears have stripped or that the wheels are moving independently of each other.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

when these diffs go, you know it. It will make loud grinding or clicking sounds!

If the power just isnt getting to either the front/rear wheels right, then suspect the center diff. If it goes, the power wont get to the front or rear.
Also wanna make sure none of the driveshaft slug screws are loose (center shaft input cups)

if they are bad, buy the gears you need AND buy part # 81069
its a shim kit. Sometimes the input pinion shaft or even the ring gear's mounts have a bit of play. Shimming them with the parts in the shim kit will make them last alot longer.
Simillar issue happens with some of the XTE and 8e models. The shim kit has any/all shims needed to get everything meshed well.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 AM
lifeismuddy
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep a hurricane here in the store as a demo and have sold several and have yet to have any dif issues, check the cup set screws they are prone to coming loose.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: lifeismuddy

I keep a hurricane here in the store as a demo and have sold several and have yet to have any dif issues, check the cup set screws they are prone to coming loose.
agreed. I dont see all 3 diffs failing at the same time. Once one goes, there wont be much stress on the others...and the truck wont go as fast.
And as mentioned, bad diffs are pretty loud.