Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tornado s30 emgine problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Torch39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado s30 emgine problem

Awhile ago my car started stalling when I let off the gas slowly it got worse became impossible to start any more.
i realizes it was the copper gasket between the bottom end and the cooling head. No biggie it 5 buck part and it was fixed. But now like a month later it is doing again only much quicker. Car now won't start again. I know it the same thing.now I'm pissed.. Why would this gasket start leaking again?
on top of this my local hobby house order me solid rims and new tires and they don't fit. I told them what i had. And they glued the tires on before I pic them up so who knows if I can return them.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Tornado s30 emgine problem

ORIGINAL: Torch39

Awhile ago my car started stalling when I let off the gas slowly it got worse became impossible to start any more.
i realizes it was the copper gasket between the bottom end and the cooling head. No biggie it 5 buck part and it was fixed. But now like a month later it is doing again only much quicker. Car now won't start again. I know it the same thing.now I'm pissed.. Why would this gasket start leaking again?
on top of this my local hobby house order me solid rims and new tires and they don't fit. I told them what i had. And they glued the tires on before I pic them up so who knows if I can return them.

what rims did you get? do they fit the rear...but not the front?

onto the motor, got a fresh glow plug in it?

are you sure the copper gasket is bad? check for leaks on the exhaust end as well.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Torch39

When I cycle the motor with my finger I can here air leaking I can't tell from where but seems like the same place. 

Rims are  duratrax racing trims 1/10th scale 12 mm hex. Back fit bit seem not as tight and are slight larger then stock. Front ones mount father in to the car and look strange and rub on wheel hub area. Also put proline tires. I am disappointed because there good tires I blew 50 bucks on
Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Torch39

Well now Ineed a new motor, was attempting to take off the cooling head which i have done before, the screw stripped out.. Now Icant get it off.

Something going on in the front diff too, Ispin one will in one direction they both spin fine, but if Ispin in the other direction on of the wheels get stuck and does not spin..

No idea what that problem is.

May be time to hang in my hat, love this hobby but it does not love me back.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Torch39

Well now I need a new motor, was attempting to take off the cooling head which i have done before, the screw stripped out.. Now I cant get it off.

Something going on in the front diff too, I spin one will in one direction they both spin fine, but if I spin in the other direction on of the wheels get stuck and does not spin..

No idea what that problem is.

May be time to hang in my hat, love this hobby but it does not love me back.
Common Torch, don't give up, you'll get it figured out. The diff issue is likely a cheap fix, just take it apart and see what's binding. Is the problem the tranny locking up? The Tornado S30 was not designed to go backwards, I'm pretty sure the one way bearing will prevent the drivetrain from going in reverse. As far as the engine goes, you may have to cut the cooling head off to get to the stripped screw. The head is around $25 to replace. Worst case scenario you find a complete engine assembly from a new tear down on eBay. You can usually find them complete with the carb, pipe, pullstart and clutch bell for around $90.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:04 PM
JohnP2

Agreed, please do not give up! I assure you that you will not find a person with worse luck in "the hobby" than me (look at the picture to your left). That is how it started for me and that was the easy fix. ;-)

Sometimes you just want to step away for a day or two.

Just know this.....when you DO get it running, and if you want to, you will....it becomes that much more special. You are just taking your lumps early, but that will make you an expert in no time. I really believe it's all about those who can handle it, and who can't. Who will win in this instance, Torch? You're not gonna let a toy rc car get the better of you, eh? ;-)

If nitro were easy, you'd see nitro cars everywhere. The reason they have that wow factor is it takes time and patience.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Dads like rc too

Yes, as John said this hobby takes a certain kind of person. I often tell people running a nitro car amongst a group of other nitro guys is kind of like a badge of honor. They only work for a few tanks before you have to make them work. Then it's not just about how it runs but everything else. Can you get it to idle well? Stop right? Handle good? These are all things that take the user to make happen. After a short while, everything starts to wear and it's up to you to adjust as needed. Like John said, it's a good feeling after all your going through, to be able to diagnose and repair the problems, and then enjoy the end result. Believe me, we've all had problems, sometimes crazy problems that nobody has ever heard of, but if your determined you'll get through them. To me nitro is the only way to go. I have two electric trucks for my kids, and they work great, but without the sound and smoke it's just not the same. We all know brushless has far surpassed nitro, but to me it's not just about speed. I get satisfaction when I can take my truggy out and fire it up with one pull. Watch it stop on a dime and listen to it purrrr.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 PM
arless

I wish i could get my redcat tornado to start on the first pull, So far I have one tank of fuel ldled through the sh.18 engine. I was thinking of adding a big block to the buggy and put a way the small block for another project.