Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

SH .21 vs. "OS" .21 redcat aftershock 3.5

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

SH .21 vs. "OS" .21 redcat aftershock 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 01:02 PM
tcharger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SH .21 vs. "OS" .21 redcat aftershock 3.5

Was expecting an SH engine in my aftershock 3.5, received an engine with a OS sticker on it. After some research I see that this is a new redcat engine. I bought another aftershock with an SH and its on the way. Does anyone have experience with the OS engine? I will be comparing the two in the months to come...
Old 07-18-2015, 12:47 AM
Guff15

I replied to the other thread you posted in (my thread). Not much difference in performance from what I could tell. SH seemed to tune easier but it could've been me getting better at tuning. lol
Old 07-18-2015, 11:10 AM
tcharger

Interesting. I did receive the SH, although I have yet to fire them up. So far it does feel like the OS has a bit more compression (harder to pull) and aside from the engines, there are a plethora of other differences. The OS's shocks have blue caps and black springs, and the SH has black caps and white springs. They have different transmitters, different servos, and the SH's body is missing half of the stickers(I threw some others on it)I have to say that overall the build quality seems decent, I am looking forward to seeing them in action..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150718_140707.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	4.23 MB
ID:	2109847  
Old 07-21-2015, 12:28 AM
Guff15

My Backdraft that came with the OS engine has the black springs with blue caps. Now the car has the SH engine so I can only give you a comparison between the engines, which IMO isn't much of a difference if any at all. Redcat swapped the engines out after I complained about being mislead with what engine was in the buggy and that the OS didn't have a backplate available for the electric starter.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:13 AM
tcharger

I've been looking for a definitive answer as to whether the OS engines are authentic or not. It just doesn't seem likely that redcat would put blatant knock-offs in their vehicles and advertise it online. Then again, when inspecting the OS it screams knock-off...
Old 07-21-2015, 10:39 PM
Guff15

Originally Posted by tcharger
I've been looking for a definitive answer as to whether the OS engines are authentic or not. It just doesn't seem likely that redcat would put blatant knock-offs in their vehicles and advertise it online. Then again, when inspecting the OS it screams knock-off...
While attempting to search the internet for a backplate that would fit the O.S. .21 engine, I contact Great Planes who owns O.S. I sent them 13 pictures of the O.S. engine that comes in the Backdraft/Aftershock. About 2 days later I received a response from their lead engine technician who told me that he didn't know what make/model the engine was. He stated that O.S. engines are ALL stamped with a model number on them somewhere, as well as the O.S. badge would not be a sticker like that on the engine I had. Not to mention that he said O.S. engine do not come with a 4 bolt head. Thus it was NOT an O.S. engine.

With that evidence in hand, I promptly contacted Redcat which is when Billy Fischer (Sales manager) became involved. He offered to swap my O.S. engine for a brand new SH one he had in the shop and they would cover the shipping. I gladly accepted and haven't looked back since. Redcat did take down any reference of the SH engine on both the Backdraft and Aftershock pages, but again..... they're still somewhat being deceptive when they only say that they come with a .21 Big Block. Once someone like myself decides to buy and they also purchase the electric starter, they're going to be sorely disappointed and upset when they find out that the backplates that come in the starter kit won't fit their O.S. engine.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:32 PM
tcharger

It's one thing to knock off a design(rovan) it's another thing to manufacture and sell a fake item badged with another(one of if not the largest and most respected) company's name. The engines are sold by numerous vendors online including ebay, and not much info can be found with a Google search. O.S. could have them taken down from eBay easily if they were fakes, are they unaware? Don't care? While I totally respect what you are saying, I do not see it as a definitive answer. I'm leaning towards fake myself, but I have seen stranger things.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 PM
tcharger

Also, I happen to own a few O.S. engines with 4 bolt heads, so the guy you talked to might not be the O.S. authority...
Old 07-22-2015, 09:44 PM
tcharger

Name:	20150723_014256.jpg
Views:	2088
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	2110726  
Old 07-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Guff15

Originally Posted by tcharger
Also, I happen to own a few O.S. engines with 4 bolt heads, so the guy you talked to might not be the O.S. authority...
I believe I still have the e-mail from Great Planes, and if I do I'll post it up for you to see what he said in it. I can't, of course, post a recording of my convo with him, lol. I believe it's a knock off, especially after I confronted Redcat with the information provided by Great Planes to them. They were quick to swap my "O.S." engine out for a true SH.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:24 PM
tcharger

I have no doubt of your conversation, and like I said, I'm leaning towards fake myself. But I think we both want to see these engines proven real O.S. or for redcat to scrap it and bring the S.H. back.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:07 PM
tcharger

I broke in both of the engines today, first thing I noticed was an O.S. 8 glow plug in the O.S. engine. The plug in the S.H. was unmarked.
Both break-ins went really smooth, they fired right up, no air leaks, consistent idle, good temp. 1 pet peeve so far, there's not a really good place to hold the vehicle down while pull starting. I haven't performance tuned them yet, but I'm really digging the way the aftershock drives. I've got a feeling they will be great on the track.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Kemo

Please post a pic of the "OS" engine. If it has a sticker on it that just says OS, this is more than likely a fake OS engine.

Here's an example:

Name:	counterfeit.JPG
Views:	2046
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	2113786   Click image for larger version

Name:	counterfeit2.JPG
Views:	1953
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	2113787  

Last edited by Kemo; 08-10-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:45 AM
Guff15

Originally Posted by Kemo
Please post a pic of the "OS" engine. If it has a sticker on it that just says OS, this is more than likely a fake OS engine.

Here's an example:
That's EXACTLY what the OS engine looked like that originally came in my Backdraft. I now have the SH in it.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:14 PM
mudrunnin

I also received my aftershock 3.5 with the o.s 21 not very happy about that. The seller clearly stated sh 21 . I purchased it brand new. I contacted redcat and received the runaround treatment. I figured it would just be easier to accept that i got screwed than fight it out. Now addressing the countless problems. 1st the pull start didn't break but rather pulled out ant won't retract 2nd the clutch spring broke after second tank 3rd the throttle linkage was poorly out of whack 4th the carburetor will not hold a tune. After fixing all these problems and finally getting some runs in the truck actually isn't half bad. All in all I wouldn't recommend it I've been doing this hobby for 30 years spend your money else where.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:17 AM
watertrucker

Welcome to the forum. I had the OS.21 engine in my Eartquake. Also have a Volcano S30 with the SH.18, along with a couple Traxxas Nitros Seems like the SH engine runs better over all than the OS. Ended up selling the Earthquake with the OS to a buddy, and picked up a Nitro Rustler. The addiction continues!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM
tcharger

I just wanted to do an update, the os engine is actually a 21vg. The crankshaft is different(pilot) and the cooling head looks like a cheap aftermarket, but the rest is genuine os including the 21f carb. The vg wasn't a popular engine, but for stock in a redcat you can't ask for much more. I have had the two aftershocks for over two years, both have 3+ gallons, and both the sh and the os engines have had no issues and are running strong.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:05 PM
mudrunnin

Hello I haven't been here in a while but I'm back with a update on my redcat os.21 redcat engine. I gave up on it and replaced it with the lrp .21 in my aftershock 3.5 . Now it's an absolute animal! But I decided to give the OS.21 another shot it would be a shame to just trash it since it still has great compression and has potential to be a strong engine. Upon full disassembly and inspection I found two major problems first the bearings are total garbage and that's the reason for my air leakage they both seized and the seals shrank and I never over heated the engine and the front bearing actually had a dent in the rubber gasket, second I found a major crack in the con rod right at the bottom running half way up to the piston. I saw that its actually not a knock off os.21 but the osvg. I'm now thinking I just got a bad luck of the drawer engine. I found bearings and con rod online for under 30 bucks shipped I also got all new o rings so keeping fingers crossed this will fix the problems I've had with this engine???? But it's sad having to go through all this when several of my other redcat sh.21 and .18 engines never gave me anything problems. Has anyone else had fule tank issues? After the tank got half way empty it would stall I checked for leaks and couldn't find any until someone told me I could have a micro fracture and normal pressure test sometimes miss it especially where the tank is joined together. I sealed the tank with epoxy and problem solved. But it's a awful lot of time and expense considering for a few dollars more I could have gone with a name brand model. But all in all my aftershock has been converted into a very fun rally car but there is more after market parts then redcat to get to this stage lol. New shocks, wheels and tires, engine and clutch,17mm hex conversion, body,air filter, steering servo, a real tuned pipe, lol. Thanks guys I love this site.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:06 PM
mudrunnin

Hello I haven't been here in a while but I'm back with a update on my redcat os.21 redcat engine. I gave up on it and replaced it with the lrp .21 in my aftershock 3.5 . Now it's an absolute animal! But I decided to give the OS.21 another shot it would be a shame to just trash it since it still has great compression and has potential to be a strong engine. Upon full disassembly and inspection I found two major problems first the bearings are total garbage and that's the reason for my air leakage they both seized and the seals shrank and I never over heated the engine and the front bearing actually had a dent in the rubber gasket, second I found a major crack in the con rod right at the bottom running half way up to the piston. I saw that its actually not a knock off os.21 but the osvg. I'm now thinking I just got a bad luck of the drawer engine. I found bearings and con rod online for under 30 bucks shipped I also got all new o rings so keeping fingers crossed this will fix the problems I've had with this engine???? But it's sad having to go through all this when several of my other redcat sh.21 and .18 engines never gave me anything problems. Has anyone else had fule tank issues? After the tank got half way empty it would stall I checked for leaks and couldn't find any until someone told me I could have a micro fracture and normal pressure test sometimes miss it especially where the tank is joined together. I sealed the tank with epoxy and problem solved. But it's a awful lot of time and expense considering for a few dollars more I could have gone with a name brand model. But all in all my aftershock has been converted into a very fun rally car but there is more after market parts then redcat to get to this stage lol. New shocks, wheels and tires, engine and clutch,17mm hex conversion, body,air filter, steering servo, a real tuned pipe, lol. Thanks guys I love this site.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:07 PM
mudrunnin

Thanks for the welcome
Old 10-27-2017, 07:55 AM
NitroMagnum

Yeah I’ve wondered about this myself I have noticed on the net in various places there is an OS 18 which appears to be a knock off as well. I’m thinking of buying an aftershock bought a shockwave it’s been awesome. my question is will an SG shaft fit on the earthquake? All the pics I have seen on the web at least of the SH motor it appears to be a threaded shaft. I have several 28 motors piccos/ novas sitting around that I thought maybe swapping out for the 21.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:31 PM
mudrunnin

When I replaced the os21 from my aftershock I had that same question? No I couldn't use the stock fly wheel because of the threaded shaft . I had to get a new fly wheel but could still use the clutch shoes. Also I had to seriously shim the shaft behind the Colet in order to get the clutch bell to reach the spur gear. I found out the clutch bell is not a true 1/8 scale size. On paper it's a nice rig but after everything i had to go through to get it where it is I honestly think it's better to get a better model. Don't get me wrong now I absolutely love my aftershock it's a mean little booger. Maybe I got a ****y one . But I was pisssed it didn't come with the sh 21 and even more upset with the run around I got from redcat. I actually converted it into a rally car and truly love it . I thought it was a flexible platform that's what first turned me on to it . I also have shockwave, volcano, and the vortex and never had a problem with anyone of those in fact as simple as the shockwave is it's still one of my favorite little rides . I did upgrade the engine to the duratrax 18 and some people say that engine sucks but I haven't had to change a glow plug in over 4 gallons of fuel and it holds a tune perfectly. And to add one more thing I also have a Orion wasp 28 that I am currently installing in my aftershock I'm waiting on a new pull start because it's almost impossible to mount a roto start on the aftershock. I guess this would be considered the one bad child you just can't give up on lol. Good luck . And my advice is go on eBay you can get a earthquake roller for very little money drop in one of your existing engine and electric and save some money and head ache lol

Last edited by mudrunnin; 10-27-2017 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 10-27-2017, 02:45 PM
mudrunnin

P.s I believe the redcat Caldera has the 18. Engine?
Old 11-11-2017, 10:41 AM
NitroMagnum

Thanks for that info kind of figured that. i’ll be getting mine Monday supposed to of got it yesterday but thanks to worthless UPS it won’t be until Monday. I’ll run whatever motor comes with it till she dies. I’ve seen some with the SH 21 seem to be pretty powerful. I’m guessing the OS doesn’t have the power of the SH ?
Old 11-11-2017, 10:52 AM
mudrunnin

Default It has power

The black os has plenty power it started out as a great engine it just started falling apart on me .like I said problem after problem with it . My friend has the blue sh and his engine is still going and my black os is on the work bench

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.