Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Redcat Please Make A Metal Spurgear For The Blackout

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Please Make A Metal Spurgear For The Blackout

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:30 AM
lilrick98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat Please Make A Metal Spurgear For The Blackout

I've already had to replace not only the plastic Spurgear but the brass pinion gear as well. All in less than a month of light bashing. The replacement plastic and brass gears are already showing wear! Ive only ran about 5 battery packs in 2 weeks. It's not the gear mesh cause the Blackout is the only RC I own that gives me this problem. So please just release a metal spur gear. Sorry for the rant. It's just annoying. Thanks
Old 02-18-2016, 11:45 AM
cjcahow

I feel the same way. I've replaced three spur gears and five or six pinion gears in roughly two months of ownership. I'm trying to mod a volcano gear in there, but need a solution to keep the gear in place
Old 02-18-2016, 12:23 PM
lilrick98

Found this but haven't tried it yet.
http://youtu.be/03-U8qceTlE
Old 02-18-2016, 07:28 PM
cjcahow

That's pretty much what I did but instead of a spacer I used a dremel with a cutting wheel and moved the c clip back. I have the brushed version so I can only move the motor a little bit towards the center. I need to find a 30 tooth pinion and it should be good
Old 02-18-2016, 07:32 PM
lilrick98

Im pretty much done with this truck. Im about to get a bruched volcano and swipout the electronics. Put the brushless electronics into the volcano and the brushed into the blackout.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:36 PM
cjcahow

I like it but I doubt it could handle brushless power. Mine runs pretty well and takes a beating like no other, the main problem is the gears. I emailed Redcat and they have no plans on a metal spur gear. They should have designed it with a slipper clutch
Old 02-18-2016, 07:41 PM
lilrick98

Sure it can. They make the volcano brushless too. Both the brushed and brushless volcanos are the same. Just different electronics.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:45 PM
cjcahow

I'm fully aware of that. Considering that my dog bones are bent using the brushed system see statement above
Old 02-18-2016, 09:47 PM
lilrick98

I'm done with the Blackout. It was fun when I got it on Christmas but the fun is gone. Way to many repairs. I'm moving on to the Losi Mini8T........
Old 03-05-2016, 05:54 PM
jmburt01

I only run a 3s 5500mah in my blackout, we've been out many many times. And while I have broken parts I have had no issue with the spur gear. I did take out the 4wd parts and made it rear wheel. Lost the front dif, and dogs. Gains some speed out of it and still easy to control also stays a lot cooler through out the 3s discharge. I just don't feel that it is the plastic of the spur gear that is your problem. I can't help you I know but if you had a metal spur I still feel that it would still strip out.