Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:10 PM
ScottHarp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

I mad a mistake earlier when I stated that any .18 engine would fit. This is not the case. If you are going to swap out engines do some measuring first.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:17 PM
jcam54

I recently bought a volcano stx 1/10 truck from redcatracing.com. I love it but would like to replace the tires and wheels with taller ones and more aggressive tread. Any help with sizes and hop up info would be great. My beautiful wife does not know what monster she just created, I have never had so much fun, hopefully this hobby becomes some thing I can share with my kids when we decide to have them. Once again any advice for this first timer would be great! On parts breakage I have only managed to break the body and main dif. gear. I ordered replacement parts from redcatracing.com and had them in about 5 days (standard ground shipping). I ordered the full gear box so I could disassemble the original to see if I could up grade with any other brands, but haven't had the time to explore the local hobby shop. For a fist timer this was the best choice, low cost-and I did not cry when I crashed and broke it verses a $450-$600 high end truck. Once again the smartest thing my wife talked me into, try this it just may be better with a whole lot less sticker shock.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:43 AM
raceman17

Since I broke (and fixed the pull start) on the redcat volcano. I decided to get a tiger drive P/N S680. This is like a roto start system but its just another type. I went to the LHS (which sucks) and found nothing (of course) but I think I have the correct P/N for what I need by doing some research. The specs say it will work with a torq .15 (info from tower hobbeies) and the pic and discription looks like it will work from sullivanproducts.com. Im going to order one and stick it on the .18 in the truck. I will post back the results.
Later
Old 01-14-2006, 01:56 PM
isonf

Hey Guys

I found a a power starter that works on the tornado xp. The motor is an .18 3cc the pull start did not last no time. The power starter is an HPI Roto start system. Man it is nice not having to pull your but off to get your car started.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:55 PM
levid

Hi everyone, I just wanted to post some of my experiences with the redcat volcano stx that i have. I received my redcat about a month ago and I've been able to actually take it out driving twice. The first day that I had it and finally getting it running after adjusting and tuning everything I broke it after about 10 minutes. I was just driving it around the drive way and street in front of my house, and it hit a tree, now I wasn't jumping it or doing any crazy stunt at the time, it just hit the tree...the result: a broken front a-arm and rear right hub, I had to wait almost a week to receive the replacement parts which were an additional 30 bucks...after a total of using the car for 10 minutes...got the parts, fixed the truck and spent an hour the next day making more adjustments and tuning to get it to start with out dying when touching the ground. I took the truck to a local elementary school this afternoon with my son, just playing and driving in circles with him and the car turned over and landed on the top, breaking the whole entire truck body in three pieces, the mounting tower that holds the body on broke, and I broke a shock tower and the stearing servo arm that stears the truck. So far my running total for the truck is over $320, some might say that is still cheap for a gas powered truck....however I've only been able to run it for less then 1 hour total in the month that I've had it and every time I've taken it out it's has broke something. I could understand if a was jumping the truck or doing some stunts with it, but I've still just been trying to learn how to drive it and just seeing the basics of what it can do....so my thoughts so far is that I probably should have just saved another $100 bucks and bought the Traxxas that was at our local hobby shop...I can say that it is fast and it corners well...but to me that doesn't make it worth the damages and money i've spent in just a few weeks of having the truck and only driving it twice. Hopefully as redcat increases production of these trucks they will make better parts that last a little longer. If you are only wanting to drive these trucks on marshmallows then I'd say these are perfect for you, if you plan on driving on any other surface, I'd say save your money and buy a better truck or keep looking.... again this is just my experience with the truck and I understand that redcat is new and that these are the first trucks in their line, so hopefully redcat will see some of the negative things going on with these trucks and fix them for future users.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:04 PM
N3W2R/C

i just got my volcano stx and i pulled out of the box and was going to do the pre run routeen and the remote or the reciever wont work. i have tried everything to get it to work switchng the batteries and swithcing the crystalls and nothing seems to work. i could get the truck started the first time i pulled and i kept it running but with no controller i cant do anything with it. now i cant even get the thing started and i am statrign to get frusterated at it. i am new to the whole r/c thing, maybe its just me or are all cars this hard to start and this hard to just get it going. i need some serious help. i am really excited about getting it but i am just alittle dissapointed i cant get it running.

i really need some advice and help, anyonw out there who can just offer any advice will help. please!!! i just want to drive it around and have fun.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:05 PM
levid

One my controller for my volcano stx there is a plastic piece to the right of the stearing wheel that says Full Mid Low, open that part and make sure the far right switch is on NOR and the ST is all the way down. Make sure your antenae is all the way up and that the batteries are in your servo (on the truck itself), mine didn't come with any in the servo I had to put some in that.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:43 PM
trpastor

Wow! I just realized something - I was did a find on all 4 pages so far and all the negative breaking this breaking that is on the volcano (the 1/10th truck).

I think this is VERY significant becuase there have been many positive experiences with the 1/10th buggies, and very little info on the 1/8th buggy.

I have the 1/8th and have it about broken in, and it has been nothing but a total JOY for me so far. I bought a used OFNA, and I think it's a good car, but the engine was rebuilt and probably not very well. I"m having trouble tuning it right. But the Himoto 1/8th is kickin aZZ. I haven't gotten to run it hard yet becuase I"m just done breaking it in, but I've jumped the OFNA over the bumps on my road and it jumped a good 10ft+ so I will have an idea of what the Himoto should be able to take. I will CERTAINLY tell everyone if I have bad or hopefully good things to report.

I'm also going to take it to the LHS that sells Kyosho ASAP and see what if any parts interchange.

So far though - I've heard all good things about the 1/8th.

This is my evaluation of what's possible. The 1/10th were their first attempts. They are pretty good but there was one report so far on this thread about broken arms. Everyone else I think said they are fast and good (with not great controllers). They got going with those and made the 1/8th and tried to make something more competive in quality to other brands (and I'm hoping) did a good job. This thing seems VERY well built so far.

I think the trucks might have just been a rush to get something to compete with that market and (seems like) they are crap. ALL The negative reports I could find except one were for the truck. (whe I say negative I mean unusually poor preformance... becuase all cars OFNA Traxxas etc are going to have problems/repairs. That's what this hobby is all about

So in recap so far my 1/8th seems awsome. I'll fill you in. Any others with 1/8th PLEASE tell your feedback, and also if there's anyone else with the 1/10th buggies please share your experiences.

I'm wondering if we should try to make a thread specifically for the 1/8th buggies. Maybe put (no trucks)? Not trying to keep anyone out of discussion, but they almost seem like 2 completely different beasts - and what might be really good buggies might be getting a bad rap out of their half assed attempt to make a truck.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:37 PM
trpastor

Hey Guys

After going through and seeing that almost all the negative reports were about the trucks and that the buggies seemed to be getting pretty positive reports, I renamed this the truck thread.

IF YOU WANT TO POST ABOUT THE 1/8TH SCALE BUGGIES PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3775361/anchors_3775361/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3775361]1/8TH SCALE BUGGY[/link]

IF YOU WANT TO POST ABOUT THE 1/10TH SCALE BUGGIES PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3775380/anchors_3775380/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3775380]1/10TH SCALE buggy[/link]

I hope this helps those with the trucks as much as those with the buggies. Hopefully you guys will get better advice on what parts from traxxas etc you can upgrade to solidify these things and make them more enjoyable.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:31 PM
levid

To end all of the CONFUSION i have started a completely separate thread in a different area dealing with specific Redcat Volcano STX trucks. It is under RC Cars, Buggies and Trucks >> RC Monster Truck Then there is a posting called Redcat Trucks so anyone that has the volcano is WELCOME to post negative and/or positive feedback to our trucks.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:16 PM
trpastor

Hey Guys -

Just so you know I put a TON of pics up on the 1/8th scale forum that compare the 1/8th Himoto to a 1/8th OFNA 9.5.

I have to say I am loving the 1/8th scale buggy. I hope I don't change my mind after I get to run it hard for a while.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:52 PM
trpastor

Here's a link to the truck only thread Levid set up [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3775566/tm.htm]TRUCKS[/link]

You know, now that I go back and look at the Redcat video of these cars (redcatracing.com) they don't show the trucks flip or crash once. The buggies they show crashing and hard over and over. I think this is very interesting.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:55 PM
levid

ya so about the guys who bought the trucks were suppose to roll over and get ............... we all bought a piece of and we who bought the trucks now are in the hole $250 what are we suppose to talk about were all wanting to have fun and a hobbie on these gas powered cars trucks and buggies so who gets to be the person who tells who or what we get to talk about
Old 01-15-2006, 12:10 AM
trpastor

I don't have one of the trucks, but if I were in your shoes firstly I would say not to get too down as there are a lot of people who also bought them it looks like. And hopefully their experience can help. There was one person that I think was speaking of the trucks that had replaced their arms with traxxas arms (hoping they are stronger)

I would also let whomever you purchased from how it is holding up and point them to this thread. Perhaps they can give info on what other people have been experiencing and maybe be able to do something about it.

Lastly - don't get too discouraged. This hobby in my limited experience, can be as frustrating as it can be fun. Especially at the beginning.

But remember, if you ran these without having to do anything or have anything to upgrade or fix or want to - just running the car would probably get boring fast. (however I know at first you just want to do just that)

And keep posting. It can only help to help others and in turn yourself.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:36 AM
ScottHarp

N3W2R/C -- drop me an e-mail and include your shipping address. I will send you a new reciever and transmitter. FREE. The only thing I ask from you in return is to include your phone number so we can try troubleshooting it over the phone first.

If we cannot resolve your issue, I will provide you with the replacement.

I know you did not buy the unit from me, but I am a Redcat dealer and will do what I can to help.

FWIW, this is not how "defective out of the box" troubles should be handled, they should be taken care of by the seller. But maybe I can get you running.

[email protected]
Old 01-15-2006, 12:39 AM
N3W2R/C

thanks, it sounds like alot of people including me bought into this truck thinking it was going to work out just fine but it dosent. my volcano wont start, and the remote wont work with the truck. i am about to break down i am so FRUSTERATED. all i want to do is drive it around in my front yard and have a good time.

please anyone with any advice write back, i need some support, desperatly.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:46 AM
N3W2R/C

ScottHarp

thank you soo much i really appreciate this, i am sending you an e-mail now
Old 01-15-2006, 12:49 AM
ScottHarp

Well you have a couple of "issues".

First, it is going to be difficult to start without the radio. Lets get that taken care of first.

Then we will set your enigine back to "zero" and start from there.

Check this while we are getting to the bottom of things. Take out your glow plug, then put it in the glow plug ignitor. Does it GLOW? It should glow bright. If not, charge up your ignitor for about an hour and retry this. If still NO GLOW, you need a glow plug as well. Let me know.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:51 AM
levid

Yes this is a great idea the guy who i bought my truck from was online asking questions on how to fix the truck so he's a dealer and he works on them but asks us how to fix them who;s who and what the %$^& is he doing on this weblink trying to figure out whats wrong with these trucks and selling them at the same time anyone have a clue!
Old 01-15-2006, 12:58 AM
ScottHarp

I will be 100% honest with you guys. I have very little experience with Nitro R/C. I have TONS with electrics though. So as far as the basic functionality of the units, no problem for or from me. I can help with that.

I am still learning on the Nitro engines. I do have experience with 2 and 4-sroke engines as well as high performance pocket-bike engines. (39cc 2-stroke engines capable of putting 14hp to the ground, now that is a rush!!) I have learned this, PATIENCE. You must get these broken in, do it slowly, DO NOT RUSH!!! Then only make SMALL changes and this only after up to operating temp. I found out that less that 1/4 of a turn was good for 70* on the motor. WOW, what a change. SO BE CAREFUL!! Fat is better than lean, for longevity that is.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:59 AM
N3W2R/C

ScottHarp

my parents cought me up i have to go to bed, can you send this in an e-mail to me i just sent you an e-mail, use the e-mail adress to writ eback i willcheck it tommorrow
Old 01-15-2006, 01:04 AM
ScottHarp

N3W2R/C I sent you this in an e-mail and am posting it here for others as well. Please do not take offense at any of these questions. These are things that anyone can miss.

Try these things for me.

When you turn on the transmitter, do all of the lights come on?

Do you have 4-AA batteries in the truck? Are they installed correctly?

When you turn on the truck do the servos do anything at all?

Is the battery pack plugged into the switch harness?

If the above answer is yes, unplug the battery pack from the switch and plug it directly into the reciever, if this works all you need is a switch.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:06 AM
ScottHarp

N3w -- you mailbox is full
Old 01-15-2006, 11:14 AM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am the owner of Redcat Racing. It is great to see some action on these forums regarding Redcat Racing. If you have any issues let me know at [email protected] or you can review our FAQ here. www.redcatracing.com/faq.html

We will review these boards and answer questions as best we can.

Darin
Owner Redcat Racing
Old 01-15-2006, 01:46 PM
trpastor

Hello Darin

Glad to see you posting here as well. So far my 1/8th buggy has been great but I haven't gotten a chance to run it. But it does seem (if you follow this thread) that the 1/10 trucks have been having some pretty consistent issues - most of which have centered around the plastics on these vehicles.

It seems to me the trucks are almost single handedly ruining the reputation of what might otherwise be some good rc's. I was wondering if there is the possibility that there are any aluminum upgrades for the arms, and other parts that have been breaking, that could be gotten a hold of and then offered at the lowest possible price to help rectify the situation for the volcano owners? Or possibly sent to them if they can prove purchase within x amount of time?

I think this would go a LONG way in setting the record striaght on these things and hopefully have some otherwise disgruntled owners of them being very happy referers of them.

Also - On the video it does seem like the trucks weren't abused as much as the buggies (or the crashes weren't shown anyway). Did you guys find the trucks were more vulnerable to breakage?

Can you guys produce some jumping videos of the buggies to show what they can take. If they can take regular racing jumps and consistently survive. I'm sure you guys probably have access to a lot of buggies and parts to do some of the experimentation to help minimize frustration for owners.

Good to have some feedback from the owners!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.