Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:17 AM
Jas the Ace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Here's a little video of the clubs fathers day bash, I thought it would have been better, but it was in a very confined space so I go easy on them this time, lol.
http://www.youtube.com/v/KbihD-OEiKE
Cheers,
Old 09-09-2007, 08:21 PM
zaintlouis

Wow, i guess i should built one of those jump boards too! It's really fun going out bashing with friends together
Old 09-10-2007, 06:39 AM
mozzzy_2000

g'day fellas! what's going down? I really cant say that I've been doing much but I'd given my nitro hobbies a bit of a rest whilst the weather gets better. Everyone well I hope? LOL its funny; you can come & go from this forum but when you come back nothin's changed, everyone's still around. It's pretty cool. haha
Just been reading back a few posts. Hows the speed gun going Louis? Interesting readings you are getting off it. I bet though with those guns you really need to get down low and head on to get a decent line of sight. 60Kph though I though was underwhelming at first thought but when you think about it the speed is determined by many different factors. One thing I have noticed is that on bitumen roads these buggies are at least 25-30% faster than off-road. Try getting a reading off the road Louis and I'd bet you'd be very supprised. I can rarely get mine to top speed onroad its a pretty scary thing actually! lol
Anyway guya thought I'd drop in and say hi.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:19 AM
Jas the Ace

Have you got ya plane ready for the big and crazy Redbull Air Race mozz? I think grizz is flying over sometime to get some practice in on the Gold Coast Indy track! I will beat you all to the line in my boat! The fishing line that is! Hehehehehe
Old 09-10-2007, 09:21 PM
zaintlouis

Good to see you back Mozz! actually i'm not use to read a single page on this without Mozzy around. Good thing Jas and Ace is still around here to keep this thread going :-) But still is different without Mozzy. you're not board with us are you? hehehe

i'll give it another try. get down with the speedgun and make a good aim. My buggy has larger tire diameter because of the spike. i think it also contributes in slowering down. i think im gonna need a 14t CB too. or 15T?

I got me digital weighing scale too. i find it so amusing weighing every single part i can weigh hehehe. i kept records already but still few.
Now i could make my buggy run lighter but still i have to compromise some real good stuffs. Like...

1) Servos. Titanium servos are little heavier than std or stock servos but reliable
2) Tires. ordinary tires are lighter but i could get more traction on heavier ones like disc type with big spikes.
ETC ..

Mozz, don't ever leave us like that again :-) it doesn't feel normal hehehe

Old 09-11-2007, 12:42 AM
grizz1

Hey Mozzy, welcome back mate.

Guys I am signing off for a week or so while on holiday. No computers, no work, no drama and YIPES - NO NITRO's !!!
Never mind. I can sit back, relax and ponder what I am going to do with my babies over the summer months ahead. Got a few mods planned for the Truggy which is soley used for racing at the track now (better servos, new tyres, maybe even a re-power).
Take care out there and I'll catch up with you all soon [8D]
Old 09-11-2007, 01:31 AM
mozzzy_2000

Hey Grizz have a good one mate! I'l catch ya when you get back.

Hey Jas yeah that redbull air race is coming up gain in a few months. I'll try and get to this one hey because from all reports of last years race, its pretty amazing to watch hey. After that horrific air display crash a few weeks ago I sure wouldn;t like to foot the public liability insurance policy thats for sure. Man its gotta be extraordinarily expense to hold this event here in Perth. All the flying is really low and bloody close to spectators so there's a real element of danger being a spectator. Good vid ya posted. Great to see such a huge turnout to club's father's day bash. A great time had by all I'm guessing? I bet there was a lot of happy kids running around! lol

Louis yeah should be a very interesting thing to do with the speed gun. mate you can spend a lot of time making little adjustments here and there to see if you get more speed out of the buggy. Actually when you think about it its going to show you even slight speed increases when you might not necessarily notice it yourself. Its definately going to be a very handy tool. Sounds like you are still running a 13T CB? Yeah I'd definately give a 15T CB a try especially if you are running any of your modified engines or any engine that has a lot of bottom end torque. You'll definately get the most out of a powerful engine with something like a 15T CB or even a 16T like I am using with my moddified LSK. Its a great way to tame a beast of an engine as you reduce wheel spin and allow the wheels to hook up quicker for smoother acceleration. I've definately noticed the size of tyres makes a significant difference to performance and speed. I notice this most when I use proline badlands. These are a really large chunky tyre with a much larger profile than most other racing tyres and I find they are a noticeably slower tyre. If your are using chunky tyres then try a narrower profile tyre and see if you get a bit more speed out of them.

Anyway guys to see everyone's still on deck. Has anyone made any recent purchases to add to their 'garages'? I'm very close to purchasing a truggy kit myself. I've been umming and arghing for ages now but I think its time for action! lol. I haven't built a kit from scratch so it should be a pretty fun process I reckon. Hey grizz what engine do you run in your truggy? .21 or .28?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:38 AM
grizz1

Mozz, I am running the original GS .25 motor (GSR25MT), which is a real soild reliable unit. I have an OFNA 063 low end pipe and long header fitted which makes it go real good, but it is not competitive with the racing motors by a long shot.
Plans are afoot for a re-power, but I am undecided as to which way to go as yet - .21 or .28. I will be using a Go Tech motor as they are proving to be a great motor. Good value for money and parts are not at all expensive here (which makes a change !). I mentioned to Louie a few posts ago that the Go .21 sells here for AUS$299 and a new piston and sleeve is AUS$130, so pretty cheap performance compared to other more exotic brands, plus my LHS is the local distributor for engines and parts so it's a no brainer for me.

There are a couple of Go .28's running at my track and they are QUICK. Only catch is they are officially illegal to race in the Truggy class here. NZ rules say you can run any size motor in your Truggy if that motor is the original factory motor. If the original motor is removed, it must be replaced with no larger than a .21 if you want to race it.
So if I want to dabble in some racing, it looks like I will be going with the Go .21. Most of the top cars at the track are running this motor (the 5 port model) and to be honest you can't tell the difference between the these and the .28 as far as performance goes, they just scream a little more
Old 09-11-2007, 11:51 PM
zaintlouis

yeh Mozzy i'll do that. Anyway that's the purpose of getting the Speedgun and digital scale. to make comparisons about everything. i'll try different test for each type of tires too. i think this will be fun. my dremel is also on the way too to mod my mamba.
I'm gonna put back in my plastic arms mozz, they are heavy. Anyway here are some of my buggy weigh data

Plastic Arms Suspension Set (Frt, Rear, Upper arms) = 152 grams total
Alloy Arms Suspension Set (Frt, Rear, Upper arms) = 232 grams total (82 grams difference)

46T lightened spur = 26 grams
46T Nylon Spur = 6 grams (capable of lasting any a mains)
46T stock Spur = 32 grams

Redcat Buggy = 3.833 kgs ( i think i stil need to make it more lighter)

MP777SP2 = 4.020 kgs as of September 9, 2007 (Tires, RX Batteries, Fulltank Fuel) i'll see what i can do to make it a little more lighter

Buggy shell with heat protection reinforcement = 179 grams (just good for bashing)

Redcat shell (std thickness) = 86 grams - i think this is best when competing

Any tips on how to make buggies lighter? aside from milling the chassy?

i also heard the are makers of ceramic crankshafts (superlight weight) top secret?

hi there Griz, i bet you can't wait for Christmas to get your hands on a GO engine ey? hehehe :-) whew, i'm not sure yet when i could get mine.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:02 AM
mozzzy_2000

haha you crack me up Louis! You've turn this hobby into a science! To tell you the truth, after having run a super lightweight buggy for this last 18mths or so, I can't say that its actually that much of an advanatage in performance compared to a heavier buggy. The main thing I notice though with a very light setup is that the buggy seems to 'skip' along the surface and in some circumstance doesn;t get as much traction as a heavier buggy would. It makes it much harder to control I have found. Perhaps a high downforce wing is needed to get that extra traction. Gee more $$ lol.
Anyway Louis if you are still looking to lighten it further then there's no better way than replacing as much as you can with carbon fibre hopups. I'd also highly recommend getting a quality milled chassis as this makes so much difference. Not only does it make everything a lot lighter, the combination with the carbon fibre makes the whole package really stiff & strong so you can maximise power to the ground. Anyway thats what I did with my inferno I dont think I could get it much lighter. You want to get the right balance. You want it to be lightweight but still be strong at the same time.

Hey grizz you answered a few questions. I ask because I'm thinking of buying a truggy kit and using my one of my race .21s. So since kits dont have original engines I gather all people racing these truggys have to use a .21 not matter what? So they're obviously competitive? I was hoping I wouldn;t need to get a big block for it since I have way too many .21s lying around at the moment. That gotech seems to well priced everywhere which is a good thing. If you really are on a budget I'd recommend the hyper 21 8 port hey. You can them on ebay for about AUS$150 if that and piston/sleeve replacements are like $60! At those sorta prices you could probably afford to buy these to just thrash. Reliablity though is not going to be anywhere near that of its Italian counterparts. Actually how much are the OS Vspecs in NZ? These have dropped in price dramatically in recent months and you can now get them for around AUS$300 too so if you want something to compare with the gotech, the vspec is a pretty good alternative. Anyway I beleive you should be holidays? lol

Jas, I do appologise as I forgot but are you still looking at that engine of mine?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:33 PM
zaintlouis

Hi Mozz, actually i'm just making this hobby a little more fun. atleast when i get bad weather, i still have something else to do with my buggy, i agree, our buggy doesn't have to be too light nor too heavy. my aim is just to get the ideal weight to get good traction and be controllable. Downforce tail wing would be a good help. yet only my sp2 has it. guess i got to get another one. Have you seen the vid on how my cobra runs already? just incase here's the link

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/FSF410SL7LVNQ8C0

Old 09-14-2007, 04:54 PM
DJack

Hey guys check out my post.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63...tm.htm#6367133

Man I was about sold on a Red cat model until this. I have not read too much of this post but everyone seeems to like their Redcat. Are the others just haters??? Man I want to get back in....but dont want to spend the initial thousands I did on the MP 5 just to get back into the sport?!?!?
Old 09-14-2007, 06:07 PM
rclynx

Out of all the guys who bash Redcats there is probably 1 in 10 who have owned one and the ratio for people who hate one brand or another is probably about 1 in 10 there are a lot more out there selling redcat this year than last but still only a few of us in the hobby business that handle the parts. For a while Redcat had some QC issues but we here in the forums worked them all out and most people never even got close to the price of the big boys RC's with the upgrades. We reciently had a guy really get pissed about one of our best models and it could be he got a freak but the freaks come to Traxxas and HPI to, so it all works out.............get a 1/8 Redcat and its about a 99% chance you will like it

I personally love the 1/10's but its a lot more work keeping them going..........but its that way with the rest of the makers also[:-]
Old 09-14-2007, 06:19 PM
DJack

Cool. They look good and have parts available from the redcat web site...so no problem there. I never used my MP 5 to its full ability,that was $500+ just for the car way back when. I see it as a good car and a way to get back in to the sport!!! I bet a redcat could take a few big name cars down at a track!!! Thanks guys
Old 09-14-2007, 06:21 PM
DJack

Cool. They look good and have parts available from the redcat web site...so no problem there. I never used my MP 5 to its full ability,that was $500+ just for the car way back when. I see it as a good car and a way to get back in to the sport!!! I bet a redcat could take a few big name cars down at a track!!! Thanks guys
Old 09-14-2007, 10:14 PM
vnmsgt

Go with the redcat. I have had a couple of more expensive buggies and truggies and I have sold them and kept the redcats I have. Alot of people think the more you spend on buggy the better it is and faster you will be, sad thing is that it is all in there head (my trucks more expensive and better than yours) but they never admit when they get beat by a cheaper one with a better driver. I just bought a hurricane and sold my ofna and am going to sell my protos. I went completely through the new hurricane when I bought to check everything and was very impressed with what you get for the money and alot of stuff on it is better than on the higher dollar ones. Only thing you have to do is change out the servos and radio to a better one like a spektrum and you are set. I did that on my redcat monsoon and am in the process of doing it on my buggy and they are awesome. The local track I go to a friend runs the hurricane and has no problem at all wupping up on some high dollar buggies. You will not be dissapointed.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:11 PM
DJack

Old 09-15-2007, 01:29 AM
zaintlouis

VNMSGt and Djack, nice to see you guys join the thread. welcome aboard. hope you will stay here more often and give us a good company. catch u guys later. If you have vids to share we would be very much appreciate it :-)
Old 09-15-2007, 04:45 AM
Jas the Ace

Hi guys, I just want to totally agree with all of the above, these things are awesome bang for ya buck and it is extra pleasure seeing the expressions on your mates faces when they find out your buggy cost half the price of theirs and you still beat them. I am now trying to build up my hobby fund to buy a good engine off mozz, this will be the 3rd engine to go into this buggy and the rest of it is still as good as new....well almost.
Took me boat out today guys, our first venture out in the goldcoast waterways, and wow it's not as easy as they make it look on tv I tell ya. But just like buggies, practice makes.....one more experienced but hopefully better, lol.
I have put on some nice weather on the Goldcoast for Grizz's holiday, I now have to convince him he has to support Qld in the football and not his NZ teams, see how I go.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:18 AM
rclynx

I now have to convince him he has to support Qld in the football and not his NZ teams, see how I go.
Well not if he's like any of the others I met from down under. you probably stand a better chance of hell freezing over
Old 09-15-2007, 06:42 AM
Jas the Ace

Ouch!! That hurt! [:@] lol, I know he won't let his home team down. I am actually tipping his team to beat my team, but we won't tell anyone about that now will we!! The secret is ours, shhhh.....
Old 09-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Erik2424

Hey guys, been awhile since ive been on here, lol. man seems like you guys have been up to some cool things! i have my RC running good now, and i put a rotostart on it. im now planning on getting this radio system fot it now: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXGAG4**&P=GO. but yea, how is everyone doing?
Old 09-17-2007, 01:18 AM
mozzzy_2000

G'day fellas. Welcome vnmsgt DJack. Yeah I've certainly been a big fan of the the hurricane/bazooka/torpeda(all the same 'case you were wondering) ever since I bought mine. For an entry level buggy it certainly is extremely good value for money no matter what the detractors say. And your are right; most of the detractors if not all have not ever owned one and most of them seem to be elitist when it comes to more 'famous' brands. DJack, you'll be interested to know that the hurricane is basically almost a complete clone of the kyosho inferno mp7.5. Some people these are no good themselves but I have one and in terms of design its still a competitive very buggy. In many ways the hurricane/bazooka is a superior buggy having many stock features that would be hopups on the inferno and I'd definately go as far as saying the hurricane/bazooka is a much better value RTR than the MP7.5RTR. The inferno kit though is a whole different beast so its not much of a comparison.
Hey louis cool vid! Is the cobra in the inferno777 or hurricane? Anyway my god that engine absolutely hammers hey! lol looks quite a hand full! That buggy looks really good and balanced in the slow mo especially on that really dusty track you're running on. Gee I gotta get myself a video on of these days.
Hey Jas just sing out about that engine when you want. Its just lying around doing nothing anyway. Although I am sure it would rather be mounted into a buggy and absolutely thrashed of course! lol Yeah you'll love it hey. A very fast and reliable engine. You will however need a bumpbox but I think I mentioned that.
Hey Erik you haven't been in these parts for quite awhile. Good to see you're still into it. Just looked at that radio system. It looks quite a good setup for the price. The only thing keeping an eye on is the servos as the ones in that kit are only rated at4kg. That's not very strong so you could probably get away using that on your throttle & brakes but you would definately not be able to use it for the steering. Look for servos that are rated 9kg or higher for the steering.
Guys I made the plunge and bought myself a Xray XT8 truggy kit!! Construction is underway but all I can say is WOW what a dam fine bit of kit this is! lol I'll post some pics in due course but the finish on these kits is nothing short of first rate. There is not many areas they've neglected and the adjustability of settings nothing short of staggering. Of course like with most kits its not without it's hopups so there's plenty of upgrades. But in terms of stock parts its kitted out with very high quality components.
Anyway back to the build..
Old 09-17-2007, 02:11 AM
zaintlouis

Hi Erik good to see you again. Mozzy is right. when you get that radio you should consider in buying a new 10 kg up steering servo.
Anyway on my Redcat buggy i bought Ace Digital servo DS1313. it's actually for throttle on truggies but placed in a buggy is just as suitable (not an overkill). for only 65$US you already get this high quality servo. If you have seen my simple bash vid, i'm using the Ace DS1313 on that redcat with a cobra engine on it.

Hi Mozzy!! you got sharp eyes ey..

i'm happy for your new Xray truggy. i know how it feels to build one. i do miss building one. i remember when i was building my 777, i watched motocross racing on ESPN plus listened to music. After building it as i tried to test it running, i noticed my Frt. diff runs forward while my Rear diff travels backward! [&:] well that was a long time ago. everything's fixed now.

Don't forget photos ok? zoomed in photos for each components!! Like what i did to mine.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:19 AM
vnmsgt

Does anyone know how much torque the stock steering servo has on a Hurricane? I noticed in some pics on these forums that there are quite a few hurricanes that looked well used with what looks like the stock steering servos. Are they that decent where they last pretty long? I took mine out before using it and put in a better one but if they are good I will save it for a spare. I know alot of you guys use kg and stuff for the specs but I have not idea how to convert to oz. so if you know the spec if you could tell me in oz. thanks

I also saw some of you guys are into motocross racing. Langston did a good job this year even though I was going for alessi. It's going to be boring now till supercross comes back on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.