Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:05 AM
mozzzy_2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Hey grizz is that one of your own mods or are you talkin genuine chassis/torque braces? Pics? From what I am learning with the truggy is that yes, you definately dont want the chassis too stiff. Infact the bumpier the track the more chassis flex you want to a certian extent. The chassis needs to be quite forgiving if its bumpy as it drastically improves the handly of the truggy. If though you are racing/bashing on relatively flat tracks like say a grass surface, you want it super stiff. You'll notice the effect very dramatically with a buggy. If its too stiff on a bumpy surface its near on impossible to control whilst if there is too much flex on a flat hard track you'll also loose a certain amount of control, speed & you'll probably find the buggy constantly flipping on hard tight corners. But I like you am always concerned with flex around the diff area. I personally think that that area should be as solid as possible without going too far. Of course the more flex you have, the higher chance of grinding out the teeth of the main gear or CB upon an awkward landing so I guess its a case of dammed if you do, dammed if you dont.
Been sussing out some onroaders on ebay. Totally unknown brands but I was wondering what you paid for your onroader? Is it a 1/10 scale? I think you mentioned yours had an .18? The most I've seen in cars of this scale is a .15. Not sure if how much of a difference that would make.
Have any of you guys ever looked into R/C nitro boats? Spotted some very cool looking boats equipped with .21 sized nitros. Priced pretty competively I thought especially for .21 sized motors. I would hazzard to guess that these boats are super fast. Love to see one run! Have you guessed I am thoroughly addicted to all things R/C at the moment? lol it never ends...
Old 11-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Jas the Ace

Hahahaha.....boats now?!!!! Don't panic..I have considered them to, but with my very restrictive budget I could not afford the rescue canoe to go with it! Even though all you need is a $5 inflateable kids toy boat to paddle out on. Of course if you are a pretty brave swimmer you can do a cheap rescue. Don't get me wrong here, I absolutely love all types of r/c and I would love to have a go at all of them myself much the same like you mozz. But my only problem is I can't afford enough of one without adding others to my list, lol. Kind of like AFL...to many goals and not enough balls! oops sorry AFL fans, if any.
All r/c for me to mozzzy, what about those army tanks that fire live rounds, and then there is the jet planes, even flying a kite on a piece of string with my kid gives me a buzz....just trying to work out how to make the kite go faster, lol.
With my buggy, all I want at the moment is to get it up out of that RTR range, I have a respectful engine, now I just want to get a few respectful and durable parts to match it, I am not going to put any alloy hop-ups on the buggy, I will keep it pretty much standard to match my driving. I am thinking of using that 9kg servo for the throttle/brake and matching up a slightly higher rated servo for the steering.
Less Bling.....More Sting...
Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 AM
mozzzy_2000

Hey Jas I found some links to those el cheapo 15Kg servos. Saw a set of 4 for around the $50 which for me is just too good to look past. Gee with 4 of them at like $10 a pop who gives a toss whether they last a long time. having said that I have been very happy with the ones I purchased and so far none have burnt out, touch wood..lol One thing I forgot mention with servos si that whilst a strong servo is a must for steering, I would recommend using a fast servo for the throttle & brake. I tried a high torque servo on my throttle once and it was noticably slower than say a faster yet less torquey servo. So if you can still try and find one thats reasonably strong for the throttle but look at the speed rating. Some are clearly made for steering & others clearly for fast throttle & brake. You may have not considered that but its worth checking out.
You're so much like me hey cuz I got too a couple of kits! lol Man I thought they would be easy hey so i got one of those parachute style kites thinking that there is nothing to bust hey haha well I didnt cosnider they take quite some skill to fly let alone doing stunts. I have a habit of tangling the lines..haha
man I grew up around boats so I'd love one at some stage but yeah you gotta draw the line somewhere hey. Actually i never even contemplated a 'runaway" boat or a running out of fuel, or stalling in the middle of a pond! haha imagine that going out there and not have a retrieval system only to suddenly release you're stuck with your brand new boat floundering in the middle of a lake or pond..glad ya mentioned that because knowing what I am like I probabaky would have done exactly that! hahaha
Old 11-08-2007, 08:51 AM
mozzzy_2000

Hey Jas check these out mate: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...._promot_widget
Old 11-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Mercyful Fate

Mozzzy, Tryed what you said made sure that all was in order and it still seem's not to work. I will still take pictures and let you see. just have not had the time to get a battery. have worked at least 11 days in a row. Will probley be 13 or 14 before a day off.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 PM
grizz1

Jeez Mercyful Fate, I thought my shifts were cr*p sometimes, but that sounds like a real bummer [] Pictures might be the answer mate. There must be something going on somewhere thats not right.

Mozzy - Nothing flash with the braces mate. They are just made up ones. As I mentioned, there are several guys with pretty much identical set ups at the track, and they all find this system works well. I was working on the truggy today fitting my new ACE servo's (very nice too I might add) so I took some pics for you. Please note how CLEAN my toy is. It has just had it's spring overhaul and was stripped right down, cleaned , checked and re-assembled. You may never see it this clean again !!!!
The rear brace is made up of a standard GS brace (identical to the one directly benneath it) heated and bent to fit onto the existing rear brace mount, with a large ball joint threaded onto the other end and attached to the rear of the centre diff housing. The front brace is a pretty solid steering arm from a Savage MT. One end is mounted to the steering plate, with the other end attached to the front of the centre diff housing.
Pic 1 - Overview
Pic 2 - Rear brace
Pic 3 - Front brace
Pic 4 - Front mounting
Pic 5 - Rear mounting
Pic 6 - Centre diff housing

On-roaders eh !!! Now I thought you were going airborne???
Yes my on-road is a 1/10 scale GS Vision RTR with .18 GS engine. Cost me NZ$430 so say Aussie dollars $365 at the current rate. It is based on the GS Vision Pro which is their serious racers kit. Lots of carbon fibre and hi tech, but sells for around NZ$675 with no engine or servo's / radio gear. My RTR comes with pretty good specs like full bearings, reasonable servo's, fully adjustable oil filled shocks etc etc. Not sure on the radio gear as I put a spare Spektrum reciever in straight away. I have changed the shock oils, changed a few settings on the suspension, fitted some offset rear hub carriers and 30mm rear tyres - and she's a little beauty. Originally came out with the standard size .12, but they relaeased this upgrade model with the .18 A full race .12 engine would probably leave it for dead top end, but for an entry level on-roader it's plenty fast enough, with bottom end power to spin up any set of foams that will fit it The other thing is, spare parts are very reasonably priced (ie: rear hub carriers $7 each, new 1st gear spur gear $7) so I would recommend one to anyone looking to get into a bit of fun on-roading.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81073.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	799737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34270.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	799738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60293.jpg
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	799739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30742.jpg
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	799740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw19973.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	799741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx31594.jpg
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	799742  
Old 11-09-2007, 02:42 AM
Jas the Ace

Cheers for that link mozz, they sound pretty darn good for the price hey, and as you said if one or two was crap it wouldn't really matter cos they are so cheap. At $24 for a set of 4 plus p&h of much the same price, in total it would equate to the price of the one Hitec servo I got from the local hobby shop!
Now I am about to learn another servo thing here to save me doing the research and ask about the speed rating. The Hitec HS-645MG is 0.2sec/60degrees at 6v with the torque of 9.6kg/cm(133oz/in). Would that be considered as acceptable for a throttle servo at that speed rating? My buggy currently has the futaba S3003 mounted to the throttle/brake, and the other buggy (grizz's old machine) has a Hispeed H3003 on it. I dont know any specs on them but I am only guessing they are of a general RTR spec. and basic speed rating.
Nice truggy by the way grizz. Do you want to post it over to me for the same price I paid for the Bazooka? Hehehe.....
Old 11-09-2007, 03:10 AM
mozzzy_2000

Hey Jas the 645MG is really designed for steering I'd say because at .20 secs it aint that fast. Those el cheapos are rated at 15Kg with very good speed rating of .13secs I think? You wouldn't think it makes much difference but you can seriously tell when the car is running. Throttle & brakes are either that much faster or slower & its really noticable. Well I find it is although I can be rather pedantic when it comes to these things! lol Be really when it boils dont to it, for bashing you probably wont really care as much as if you were racing so thats servo is going to infinately better than any stock servo. I'd personally would use a 15Kg on the steering and the 645Mg in the centre and be done with it. Just the increased braking power will be worth it alone. You'll be doing nose flips if you're not careful! lol

Grizz thats a very interesting set up for those braces. I think Louis' influence is rubbing off onto ya! haha. One thing that concerns me or would concern me is the way you have the braces connected to the diff cradle. I'd just be wary mate because all I can see is that is possibly going to cause you more problems. If you had an awkward or hard landing its going to put tremendous pressure on the diff mount, something they're not designed for. I really dont think its a good idea personally. It would be far more effective if you had them connected to the chassis somewhere. Hmmm I'd be interest to see how they hold up. Like I was saying before truggys are designed with more flex than a buggy. You should see how flexible mine is! Almost bend it in your hands yet it handles superbly! The Xray I have comes with too types of braces. Composites for maximum flex on bumpy tracks and stiff alloy braces for fast flat tracks. Anyway like everything, its just an opinion and each to their own I guess!
Old 11-09-2007, 03:36 AM
grizz1

Cheers for that input Mozzy. I have been having the same thoughts myself as regards the centre diff towers. I'm not 100% happy about the strain going on there. I will think about it some more overnight. It's only 10 mins work to put everything back to standard. I might have to splash out for some of the flash "Team Kit" alloy hoop braces designed just for this truggy - more overtime !!!
Do you know of a reasonably priced "set up station" for 1/8 truggies. I am setting all my suspension angles up using a micrometer and straight edge plus lots of trial and error. There must be an easier way !!! I have seen pictures of the set up stations and they look to be exactly what I need. Getting the steering and suspension geommetry correct on these things is such a huge part of the overall handling and performance.
Sounds like you have a really nice truggy kit there Mozz. Variable braces for different tracks, I'm impressed.

Don't think I'll be selling the XUT for around the same price as the Baz Jas. It owes me just a "little" bit more in it's current state - he he
Old 11-09-2007, 03:34 PM
grizz1

Mozzy - Thought about those braces (even in my sleep) and took them off this morning before I headed out to the track. Like you I wasn't sure about the strength of the centre diff housing. If it was designed to take extra bracing it would be there from the factory, you would think eh ??
I don't like the idea of the towers moving and jamming spur gears, stripping spur gears, jaming brake shoes etc, etc, etc. I will save more pennies and get the proper racing brace set from the US later on. Cheers mate [8D]
Old 11-10-2007, 08:00 AM
Jas the Ace

G'day guys, yeah when I first saw those brace pics I was a bit suspect on where they were mounted on the diff brace. But as I am not a guru I hesitated to make any comment at the time, but mozz did clear my head with his response to the topic.
There are goods and bads with that set up as there is with every set up. But my initial thoughts referred back to the old "oil tin" or "coke can" theory. Let's use the coke can one so todays people would understand.
If you hold an empty coke can with the ends in each hand and only wrapping your hands around the ends of the can, then try and bend the can in half by folding both ends up.
The can will bend of course, but where does it bend?
Grab another can, this time hold the ends of the can as before, then place your thumbs towards the centre of the can as if they were those braces, bend can in the same manner as before. Where does it bend??
To be honest I have not tried this at home, but the theory is there. The second can should bend or flex more at the mounting point at the centre diff or the place of your thumbs, and causing some pretty bad mesh problems. The first can will have a reduced effect due to the chassis absorbing a lot of the load and twist and bending etc. If anything I would have a bar from front to rear with a small flexible post in the middle like a torsion bar...a bit hard for me to explain in text so I will leave it till I can find the right words.
As I say, I am not a guru, but this is what these forums are for, sharing and comparing thoughts and ideas. You should experiment with that brace grizz, or at least watch ya mates that use it, and let us know how they go.
Oh and before I go, I was watching the cricket today and in the neighbourhood I could hear a buggy engine doing some screaming street runs......Hmmmm.....a mate who lives down the road....recent birthday......possibly not adhearing to any advise given on running in an engine...I sent him a couple messages via phone and msn and I have not got a reply yet. The guilty never speak when asked a simple question! Poor little buggy! Oh well...I guess I was the same when I started out, hehe. Strange hey...we only respect things when they are dead or broken..
Old 11-10-2007, 01:27 PM
grizz1

Yikes !!! sounds like there might be a Vertex in the neignourhood with compression sickness. I guess it's very hard to sit and look at a new toy and not use it, but a careful break in is sooooo important, or should I say was important. Never mind Jas, you tried mate. At least you know were to get some spare parts if the worst comes to the worst, or maybe even a grunty pre loved motor from Mozz - now there's a thought
Old 11-11-2007, 02:34 AM
grizz1

Evening guys, Had the last meeting at our soon to be bulldozed public track today. A sad day, as it's in really good nick at the moment, and providing a nice racing surface.
The sadness was alleviated by two wins (Truggy B Final and Open Buggy Final) so the day was a day of mixed feelings, and mixed spirits of the alcoholic variety
The buggy racing was a reduced field due to another event, but the truggy was hard fought over 3 heats and final. I was chuffed, as my full on racing experience is pretty limited at this stage. Was up against some pretty fast cars with Go Tech's etc, but driving steady and staying upright worked, while the opposition crashed and flipped their way out of contention, even if it was at a faster speed [>:]
Back to those braces. I had a good chat today with the truggy guru from my LHS, who is currently ranked in the top 5 drivers in NZ. He uses this exact same system on his XUT Pro Truggy (same model as mine). I would say the other guys that I have seen using this system copied him, as they call him "The Doctor" due to his extensive knowledge of R/C cars in general. I mentioned my worry about the extra strain on the diff towers etc to him, and he said no problem. He reckons the towers on the XUT are a particularly strong part of this truggy, and if you hit anything hard enough to shift the towers due to the added bracing, then the diff towers are probably the least of your worries !! He has run this system for two seasons with no problems. He sometimes removes the extra braces on a really bumpy track to allow more chassis flex, but 90% of the time on normal tracks he says it makes the truggy handle much better than just running the standard braces.
Sooo - I will put the braces back on and try them at the next race meeting in a couple of weeks (on a smoother track). Now that our public access track has gone, all my track time will be at sanctioned race events only, on pretty well presented surfaces, so this will be a good test of the extra bracing. If it works for me, great. If it doesn't, I guess the cost of possibly a diff tower and a spur gear isn't a huge price to pay for the chance of a good increase in performance. Let you know what develops [8D]
Old 11-11-2007, 05:28 AM
Jas the Ace

Yes to true grizz, if an impact is great enough to cause signifcant damage to the diff towers imagine what the rest of it would look like hey, lol.
So sad you have lost such a valuable asset from your local community due to those pesky little developers moving in to make an easy few million dollars.
Speaking of drivers and going slow and easy to win a race, I have noticed that in competition 4x4 events (the real ones) that female drivers tend to win quite often. I am not saying anyone here is a 'girl' but those women tend to not be as aggressive in their driving style as the fellow drivers. The blokes are right into the high revs, loud noise, big air and bouncing off tree's etc, where the girls tend to keep all wheels on the ground and not losing traction, and drive like they are going to the shops. They don't get any penalties etc either. Good on you grizz for driving like a "pro" and not like a 'pro' if ya know what I mean, lol. Geez I can be so confusing on the komputa, lol.
While I'm at it, went to local park to give my mate some advise, he listened to what I told him, then he drove his new buggy nice and easy into the distance not exceeding any high rpm's, then when he thought I could not see or hear it he opened it up and let it rip. I sat back and thought RIP!! Oh well, they will understand after the 2nd or 3rd engine, lol. I even used a pull starter today, ohh yeah I miss those things so much, 30 seconds of pulling a chord on a new engine and the feeling of blisters forming on the insides of my fingers I quickly handed it back over to its proud owner and said it is up to him to learn how to start it and suffer the pain of a pull start, hehe.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:43 AM
grizz1

Ah well Jas, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink, as they say. It will be interesting to compare compression and pinch between your original Baz and his new one after 20 tanks or so ?
I see by your comments you are a starter box convert now. Man, it's got to be a better way !!!! I must admit I have no trouble with the pull start on my on-roader, it just starts after a couple of pulls every time, but I think the pull starts work better on smaller engines. I had a devil of a time with my .21 and .25 engines when they were new. I would go for backplate and starter box every time now on a .21 or bigger. Are you guys still using your track at the park ?
I think my mate Azz got some real good video of the racing today. He will most likely make up a highlight clip and post it up on You Tube for the LHS as advertising. I will post the link when he gets it sorted.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:23 AM
Jas the Ace

Well here is something to look at if ya's get bored. http://www.youtube.com/v/t8jrMW3a-I4 Just the boys putting on a bit of a demo for a small local country town nearby before a movie in the park night. And guess what the title of the movie was?..................CARS..........Hahaha. Apparently there was a public safety viewing area at the location of the camera holders, it was a council organised event afterall. I am also told there was a total crowd of a few hundred people. That is total. Not bad I suppose concidering it was a small town, and believe it or not, the council has donated some funds towards the club and even invited them back for more functions. All I need now is available time to get my toys into action and on camera, grrrr..
Hey grizz, now your local track has been demolished, does that mean you are forced to retire 30 years early and move to sunny Qld and thrash the lads on my local track?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Jas the Ace

Sorry I forgot to answer your question in my last post grizz. I am not a starter box convert as yet, cos I haven't had a chance to use it and my new donk yet. Next weekend is out due to bad fishing! lol. I really don't have any problems with pull starts as they can be so convenient when out bashing in a paddock. But the experience I had the other day with a couple new unrun engines with heaps of compression made me realise very quickly why even the basic roto starts were created!! Me mates brother got the itch and raced out to buy an r/c toy for himself. Passive r/c is bad for your health!! But he bought on impulse.....none of us do that!!...Right?......Lol..He bought a CEN 1/10 buggy, My first words were "1/10ths break really easy". But being a CEN I thought the quality was there. One tank later, something broke, hehehe......the pull string..LOL..... Roro starts. Tiger drives, Starter or bump box's are the go...I gave up pulling years ago, lol....
Old 11-12-2007, 02:54 PM
grizz1

Wow Jas - your becoming surrounded by nitro heads Not a bad thing. Mate, I would love to retire early and come and bash with you guys, but I am spending all my hard earned money on little cars and nito fuel, lol
We have two pretty good tracks to race on that are actual club tracks. Unfortunately they are only open for use on race weekends, so no more playing and practicing my driving on my days off during the week. I will also have to join both clubs at a total cost of $75 a year, plus purchase a little personal transponder unit for my car ($160) so I can race. They use electronic lap counting and you can't race without a transponder fitted to your car. The other catch is that one of the tracks is in a town called Hamilton, which is about 2 hours drive from my place. The other fortunately is only 30 mins away. They race alternate weekends so there will always be somewhere to play, just a matter of fitting it in around my shifts and allowing for travel time back from Hamilton if I am working a night shift. All is not lost, just means I've got to get a little more serious about the racing side of this hobby if I want to play lots [8D]
Old 11-15-2007, 05:51 AM
mozzzy_2000

ladies and gents how are we? You can decide what category you fit in! haha just jokes of course! hehe so whats been happening? Hey Grizz hows that new brace setup going? Man I hope I dont come across all high & mighty in my view points hey? Sometimes I think I am way way over opinionated so give me the forks if I am! lol

Hey Grizz so you are not allowed to race without a transponder? Are they really that padantic? Man over here at the club I was looking at joining is soo casual they couldn;t give a rats behind whether you had one or not. Not that they aren;t serious either because some of them are former Australian champions but they promote the "funness" of the hobby more so than hard core racing. Not sure how they conduct races where you are but here its all about laps apparantly and who can do the most laps in an alloted time. Obviously you need a transponder to have your laps counted but if you are not too fussed about results, anyone is more than welcome to join in the race. You should tell those kiwis to lighten up mate! LOL just throwing out the bait for ya Grizz! lol

Well I have been fully immersed in my walkera #36 this last week or so. After I had my LHS tinker with it and get it flying properly it all turned to mush when I gave it its first maiden flight hey! lol Man I reckon these walkera's come with a curse! Anyway I found that it was the one-way bearing slipping in the main plastic gear all the time and thats why the stock setup would only just get it into a hover. So once we put the far more powerful brushless in it, it just shat itself from the added torque and would just spin freely whenever the load got too much. Cut a long story short; after much trepidation, I tore the heli down and found the OWB had not been threadlocked in the main gear. Once that was done, and after a tail servo relocation, I put it back together and wouldn;t you know it, it flys better than ever!! So bloody happy with myself hey cuz at first it looked to be a very complicated process but with some great help over on the Walkera #36 thread I soon found out how very easy they are to work on. It goes without saying that my nitro building skills made a huge difference and I would be quite confident now in building a heli from a kit. Man I am finding this soo much more rewarding at the moment than just fanging a buggy/truggy around. Not that I would EVER give the nitro game away but helis make driving a nitro a bit mandane for me at the moment. BUT you know how compulsive I am with these things, I'm likely to jump into, what? boats next!? Hehehe.

Jas I am bitterly disappointed you haven;t got that sirio going by now? Whats happening with it dude? If you are waiting to get a better CB or clutch I really wouldn;t worry about it dude. I'd go with whatever you got hey and just see how you go. It may last longer than I have lead you to believe. Allthough the stiff springs and hardend CB is ultimately the way to go, if you cant afford it I'd just go with what ever you got. Like I said its not going to last as long but please dont let that deter you from getting up and running with whatever you got. Its gotta be better than not using it all hey?

Anyway hope all is well. Hey Anyone seen or heard from Louis? Its been easily a couple of months now since he was last seen on here? I wonder whats up? He surely couldn;t still be playing the same computer game, could he??

Old 11-15-2007, 07:01 AM
Jas the Ace

Lol, don't panic mozzz, I am rather p%ssed off with myself at the moment to regarding the maiden run with the sirio. I currently have a timing issue!! To much time for others and not enough time for me and my hobbies. I sometimes wish I could push family aside for a while so I can get back to my own life. I even sent an email to my local bash club president yesterday just to remind him what my name is, and to let them know I am still in the need for nitro fumes and heaps of dust.
My club has been given another green light from council, as they have proven the popularity of the club is growing, no complaints from anyone in the area, and apparently a reduction of trailbike riders in the area. This means we are now able to go to the next level of development which will include a decent track to run on, and over the next month or so council will be dropping off loads of dirt/soil/clay for a purpose built layout. Council has not yet approved a plan for a rock crawling track as they are worried about......one guess.......environmental issues!... For rocks?!!!? Hmmm? We can pollute the atmosphere with fumes and gasses and dust, we can rip up the ground with our tyres, but we can not have a pile of totally harmless natural rocks? Makes me want to buy a suit and tie so I can go out and speak crap..well more than usual..and get paid the big bucks for not knowing what I am saying! Hehehe...
On the good side, I am happy that council have stepped up, I really don't think that they are trying to win votes for the upcoming election!...Nahhhh...
Sounds like the heli thing is really taking off there mozzz........hahaha......Taking off....Heli......
Hmmmm yeap, old jokes never die, they just become a joke!
Well the last official Louis report stated that the "weather had turned bloody awfull up there....apparently!" Poor bugger has probably drowned if it is still raining up there. Maybe he isn't our friend anymore?? No matter what he is doing he must be loving it.
I better shut up before I start talking to much.
oh and I won't get any action in this week either (Grrrrrrr), will be to busy with a bigger steering control and hand throttle control, just hope the "servo's" are nice to my wallet, haha.
Ok, shut up Jason, go to bed now......
Old 11-15-2007, 09:49 AM
zaintlouis

Hi all, just dropping by to say hi to everyone, hehe wow it must be quiet a while since i last log on into this thread, can't get a clear fine weather here, i think my place is cursed! my bashiing site is destroyed at the moment sigh.. i think i 'm going to extend my vacation :-) there was a time when i thought it was a clear sunny day so there i was prepared all stuff to get my buggy going plus the cameras. it was really bright and sunny, when i got to the site the clouds just turned into black then started to rain after several minutes sigh.. hard to believe ha?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:39 PM
grizz1

Louie - welcome back brother . Man, you must really be in nitro withdrawl. Your weather sounds really BAD. Mozz, Jas and I have been holding the fort in your absence As you have probably read in the posts, we are all into our own little projects, tinkering with model cars and helicoptors, and in JasĀ“s case real big boats !!!

Mozzy - Yeah, the transponder thing is a bit of a pain. At my old track the racing was pretty much like what you described. Just come along and race whatever you brought with you. We had a buggy section and a truggy / monster truck section. We tied coloured ribbons to the wings of the cars and people counted laps according to your colour. Most number of laps in a set race time won. Unfortunately the clubs I will be racing at now are all affiliated to the national / international off-road racing council or whatever they call it. At all race days they use the same computer software for race timing and results throughout the country. Unless you have an electronic transponder your laps will not be counted. In fact, I believe if you donĀ“t register your transponder number at the begining of the day, you canĀ“t race period. Headlong into the big time [&:] Hey - IĀ“ve got mega dollars tied up in my truggy now, so whats another $160 if it means I get to play more. Speaking of dollars (gulp !!), my golf club repair business has picked up dramatically since we have started to get a bit more sunshine over here, so I sneaked off to the LHS yesterday and purchased a Go Tech .21 5 Port engine with some of my earnings. Not an impulse purchase, I have been planning this one for a while. My first proper racing engine, IĀ“m like a kid with a new toy (just a 49 year old kid !!). I have run 3.5 tanks through it so far to heat cycle it, and will start run in proper over the weekend. These things are TIGHT. Nearly melted the insulation on the wiring of my starter box turning it over !!
I am on the computer at work and have just been told we have to go out in the fire truck to do something important, so I better get off here. Later - grizz

I'm back !!. On overtime tonight (24 hr shift), so I am typing this from another fire station across town. My home for the next 14 hrs.
Like I was saying, those Go Tech motors are really super tight when new. I am still heating it with the hot air gun to get it started, otherwise the starter box won't turn it over, no way. Sealed backplate, carby and pinch bolt with RTV, and fussed around with it like an old woman when I got it. Much shorter stroke than the old R.25 motor, so it will be a screamer. I've put it in my buggy to run it in, so I still have my truggy to play with until the new motor is ready to do some serious reving. I am looking at leaning it out slowly over the next 10 tanks or so, then taking it easy for a couple of races, by which time it should be ready for any punishment I can dish out [>:]
My mate is working on some good video of our last meeting at the old track, and should have something for you guys to look at next week hopefully.
Take care, and I will catch up with everyone after the weekend. [8D]
Old 11-16-2007, 07:44 AM
mozzzy_2000

Gawd dam I just wrote one one my "epic" posts! argh the dam thread timed out! lol Oh well maybe it was 'fate' protecting you all from my waffle! lol
Anyway cut a long story short as I simply cant be buggered writing it all again! lol so in short:
Welcome back Louis! Good to see ya bro! Dont let crummy weather stop you from dropping by from time to time. What 'crazy" mods have you been doing in your absence? What games have you become addicted to?

Hey Jas dont worry mate I sometimes forget you all have actual lives outside of this hobby! lol But dude get into that sirio before I smack ya over ya head! lol just kidding of course! lol no really, get into it!

Grizz I look forward to hearing more about that new gotech! You'll be up on the podium in no time with that little monster. Dont know if you do it anyways but something always over looked when running in is making sure you loosen the glow plug before starting. Takes a massive amount of pressure off a new engine & makes it really easy to start. Well it should but if you still have trouble turning it over it could be just that your starterbox is not that powerful. You could try using 7.2V stick pack for added voltage power. That can help considerably. So there is a few things you can do to ease the pain of a new engine. Just thank your luck starts it hasn;t got a pullstart! Wouldn;t that be a bugger to start!

Just a side note to other peeps comming onto this thread; I feel a bit embarrassed that we 3 or 4 of us are basically the only people that populate this thread. Whilst I seriously dont mind it this way, dont get me wrong, but if anyone thinks they might be encroaching on this thread, thinking that it is "exclusive" to us, it couldn;t be further from the truth! We always welcome newbys and old friends alike. I hope that we haven't 'personalised' this thread too much. It really kinda does feel like people leave us to our own devices at times. Anyway what are your thoughts fellas? Dont get me wrong I like it how it is already hey; nice 'n peaceful but I wonder sometimes if people feel that they cant come on this thread anymore as we seem to have inadvertantly 'hijacked' it to a certain extent. Am I making any sense? lol

Haha just had to laugh cuz I said I was going cut this post short! Man I just cant shut myself up sometimes...
Old 11-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Jas the Ace

All are welcome, this is a public forum, but it is nice to have a place where a few of us can dribble a bit amongst ourselves and not offend others by getting off the original topic quite often, hehe. Now to an off topic subject......one for you mozzz....are there any regulations over your way in regards to flying an nitro heli? I have heard that in Australia (this is only from the grape vine) if you want to fly a nitro heli you must be a member of a r/c aero club, otherwise if you fly in a public place without any written approval, you will be fully liable for any damages or injuries and could also cop a heavy fine for flying in a public place? Have you heard of anything like that? Or is it just a deterant to stop people from having fun? It has no affect on me cos it will be a long time before I get a nitro heli, but the subject just popped into my head as I was reading your last post. Electric heli's are safe from any of the abovementioned.
My buggy will have the shiniest bits of plastic on it ever. It is so clean at the moment it puts the new ones to shame!! LOL...
My previous comment about "others" interfering in my social life reflects on my family only and not this hobby or any of you guys. I hope no one took that the wrong way.
One can't choose family (grrrr) but one can choose their friends. and I feel I have some friends in here....
Shut....I'm talking like a girl...I better have a drink of bundy nitro....gotta go...
Welcome back Louis..
Old 11-17-2007, 01:18 AM
mozzzy_2000

LOL you've been sniffin' nitro again haven't you Jas? LOL come on spill the beans! lol Well actually Jas thats a very good question to which I only found the answer out last week. According to Australian Civil Aviation laws, R/C Planes, Helis and rockets come under a section of unmanned aircraft and each one has a set of regulations. Whilst it is illegal to fly a nitro plane, Heli or a rocket over populated areas ie, houses it is not technically illegal to fly them wherever you like. That is that there is nothing stopping you from flying one down the local park. BUT having said that you ARE bound to the local by-laws of your local council and in most instances they will have a law banning the activity. So essentially it depends solely on your local councils regulations. The civil aviation laws go into details such as you're not allowed to fly over people, houses, airports etc etc. They constantly mention throughout the regulations that it is advisable to join a club, join a club, join a club. They mention it often! lol I think you are meant to have a failsafe unit as well but I'm not sure if thats recommended or a requirement. So its not illegal as such but they highly recommend joining a club. They also go on to say that anyone can apply to their council to seek permission to fly at a certain place so essentially that leaves it open to anyone creating their own club and applying to have somewhere to fly. That I think is a great idea. But essentially the law of the land rests solely with local councils and as you'ld expect most would probably not allow it. I dont know if you guys are into rockets. I have a few that I wanna set off but In regards to rockets you are not allowed to fly them above 400Ft without permission. Thats interesting because just about every rocket in the shops flys at least 500Ft and I have one that flys over 1000Ft, so figure that one out.
Also I found out something else that I didn;t know and that is that some radios systems like spektrum are illegal to use in Australia if bought from overseas. Did you guys know that? Its got something to do with the power output rating and it has to pass Australian safety standards and it would be techincally illegal to use them at a club. Whilst the chances of being busted is next to zilch, if a club wanted to, they could prevent you from using the radio anywhere at their grounds. Interesting hey?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.