Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:16 AM
euphorik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Yea i only put the upgraded front dump brace on it and alloy upper arms. The lower arms and everything else i kept plastic. I dont mind she broke though, it was pretty fun rebuilding the whole front end. Ill go check that track out this weekend and let you all know how it goes.

cheers

Peter (EuphoriK)
Old 02-13-2008, 03:28 PM
grizz1

Hey Peter, breaking them and putting them back together is half the fun !!!! [&:] When you start pulling the whole buggy apart to do diffs etc, you get to appreciate just how well made and robust these things are. Being a bit of a tinkerer myself, I get hours of enjoyment stripping and preping my cars for race day or just keeping an eye on wear and tear etc. The other half of the fun being driving them as hard as possible and staying upright [:-] (not always possible lol).
Let us know what that tracks like. Pics, we always need pics to look at
Cheers, Shane (grizz1)
Old 02-13-2008, 06:18 PM
thunder_tiger_S2PRO

Thanks Grizz, took it to the track last weekend, didnt go very well until we tuned it up properly now she runs like a dream, im deciding between hopping up my buggy (Thunder Tiger eb4 s2 pro) or get another for racing, hopping up my thunder would be alot cheaper but what do you guys think? im going to race it in a couple of weeks and see what this thing can do.[>:]
Old 02-13-2008, 08:44 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well whatever you decide I wish u the best of luck...yeah grizz this 6 port looks pretty kewl..if it runs as kewl as it looks should be alotta fun..peter jumpin is a blast...dont have a real rc track here, but do have a make shift bicycle track...loads of fun...bashing arounds alotta fun but trying to get it to go exactly were u want it is pretty tuff..hope to get good enuff to race one day
Old 02-13-2008, 10:30 PM
grizz1

Hi thunder_tiger, I am not familiar with the TTeb4 s2 pro buggy so it's hard to say if it's worth modding it for racing from this end. I have now raced RTR and Pro Kit buggies and can offer the follow experiences.
If your eb4 s2 buggy is already high spec it may be worth adding a few upgrade bits for racing. If you are looking at serious racing I would recommend keeping the current buggy for bashing and fun around home, and get yourself a high spec Team Kit buggy for racing. Most of the high spec buggies come in kit form and require assembly, motor, exhaust, servo's and radio gear to get them up and running. Building a buggy from scratch is a great way to learn everything there is to know about your car, and isn't as daunting as it may seem. These high spec kits come with all the high strength / light weight goodies you need for hard out racing. Things such as dog bone drives are replaced with full universal joints. Parts like diff out drives are hardened and light weight. Diff gears are hardened and helical cut for extra strength, hardened shock bodies, all that sort of stuff. I went into this pretty thoroughly when I bought my GS Storm CL-1 Pro kit, and to upgrade my Storm RTR would have cost pretty much the same as buying the kit, and I still would have had several things on the RTR that could not be upgraded (chassis plate, shock bodies etc) without blowing the budget completely. I raced the RTR for about 6 months pretty casually and broke a lot of parts that were just not strong enough. The CL-1 Pro is real tough. I have yet to break anything significant and have been driving it pretty hard. The other bonus is you always have a buggy to play with if you should break the other one (not in my case as I sold the RTR to help finance the Pro Kit. But I do have my truggy, my on-roader, and ..... LOL).
Old 02-13-2008, 11:33 PM
thunder_tiger_S2PRO

thanks again grizz, ill most probably race this buggy for this year and get a new one January next year, what buggy would you recommend that i buy??? maybe put up a link too, thanks
Old 02-14-2008, 05:00 AM
grizz1

I run GS Racing buggy and truggy, with the main reason behind this being that my LHS is the distributor for GS in my country. Any part I need to repair or modify my cars is normally hanging on the wall of his shop, no ordering, no waiting. GS makes very good stuff, BUT, given the oppourtunity (and parts back up) I would run Mugen for sure. The Mugen buggy MBX5R, and truggy MBX5T Pro Spec are probably the two best off road RC´s around (IMO - others may beg to differ). I intend to upgrade to Mugen in the future when the parts supply is better down here.
Check out http://www.mugenseiki.com/menueefi.htm for tech info and pics. Mugen also market the MR Ninja engine range, which is designed to work with these buggies and truggies as well. Most of the top dogs here race Mugen/ Ninja set ups. The Ninja engines are wicked (made in italy by GRP - Mario Rossi). All of the Mugen / Ninja stuff is available from A-Main.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:25 AM
thunder_tiger_S2PRO

hey, i found the exactly the same buggy on another website but i cant tell if it comes with a engine and radio gear? can anyone help heres the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_48/products_id/7799]link[/link]
Old 02-15-2008, 04:01 AM
grizz1

That would be without engine, pipe, servos and radio gear for sure. Pretty much any thing that comes as a kit does not come with those supplied.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:59 AM
thunder_tiger_S2PRO

so this one would be good for the money too?
Old 02-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Jas the Ace

Hi team, thought I'd pop in and say g'day. Grizz, my mate was having a few probs with his buggy (you know the mate that got his birthday pressy and the only run in was to go flat out) He had the old "I can't hold a good tune" story recently, I gave him one small bit of advise and that was to check for air leaks. He told me today that all around his carby had leaks everywhere and he was sealing them up, also advised to seal the starter housing aswell, so see how he goes. Just thought I would throw one of the old basics back into action, as a lot of people do not realise the importance of having things sealed up 'air tight'.
I just popped into my local clubs website and thought I would share one of their recent bash/race day events with you guys. Our little club is growing so fast, the track is still very dusty, but we are waiting for local council to dump off some good dirt and clay free of charge. The boys are currently making a drivers stand and hopefully that will make us all better drivers [8D] , we are all a long way to pro level but the way things are going I reckon it won't be long before we are good enough for entry level driving skills, lol. The hairpin turn down the bottom right in the video has always been one corner that no one seems to be able to master, maybe they are all trying to drive to fast.
The boys had a last minute invite to a demo at the "Monters Tour of Destruction" event recently and put on a good show for the huge crowd. They finished off with a huge jump off the freestyle moto-x jump which I'm sure would have broken something expensive. Unfotunately no footage of that though, it would have made great viewing.
Anyway, here is the link to the boys trying to race on our loose track, just something to watch. Enjoy.
Keep up the great job guys and keeping this wonderful thread active, I will be informing you all of my attempts to break things soon when I am pumping nitro again.
Take care
Take action
Take video
Take the buggy
Show us the takes
of all your breaks
http://www.youtube.com/v/vLgxO9lrJEA
Old 02-15-2008, 02:25 PM
grizz1

ORIGINAL: thunder_tiger_S2PRO

so this one would be good for the money too?
That is Mugens best buggy. I wouldl say that's not a bad price for the quality you will be getting. Go for it !!!! - you won't regret it. Those buggies are tough as, and handle beautifully.

Jas mate, What a poet Looks like the track is coming along just fine. It will be awesome if you can get that soil and clay on to it. Drivers stand eh !! Very professional Your driving will surely improve with a decent drivers stand. The diference looking down on the track makes is amazing. Your depth perception is so much better, and you can see the lines around the corners so much better. You will be burning it up in no time. How is the fishing going ?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:12 PM
thunder_tiger_S2PRO

grizz, your buggy is a GS STORM isnt it??, i found a GS STORM CL-1 RTR, it that te same as yours or was your a kit? heres the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_48/products_id/12836]link.[/link]
Old 02-15-2008, 10:14 PM
thunder_tiger_S2PRO

****is that the same as your buggy**** sorry about the mistake
Old 02-15-2008, 11:07 PM
grizz1

Hi thunder_tiger. The CL1-RTR was the buggy I sold to help buy the buggy I have now, which is the GS Racing Storm CL-1 Pro Team Kit (whew, what a mouthfull). Check it out at http://www.gsracing.com.tw/search_li...earch=GSC3001C

Much stronger and lighter than the basic RTR. I have a new Go Tech .21 3 Port R Spec engine coming for it next week (I am selling the 5 Port Go engine currently in it). It has a Go 2047 pipe, Ace 13kg hi-speed steering servo and a Hyperion 8kg hi-speed throttle servos. Running 25% nitro.
I don't think AMain actually stock this model, but if you are looking for a slightly cheaper option than the Mugen, then the CL-1 Pro (shown on AMain with the red body) is a very good option. Only missing a few hop up parts but pretty well ready to race. A-Main stock all the parts for the CL buggies that you will need too. The B03 engine is OK, but I would keep it as a bashing engine and get a Go Tech race engine to put in the buggy. Go Tech engines are great value for money. Strong, economical and very, very cheap to repair and reco as compared to other exotic brands. If you are just getting into racing on a budget (like me !!) then these engines are the way to go (no pun intended).
Either get the GO .21 7 Port from A-Main or the new GO .21 3 Port R Spec which is really wicked and what I would recommend from

Brian Carey
Pro Twister Mods
615-838-5373
[email protected]
GO Engines Dealer

Brian is a regular on the Go forum I frequent, and is very helpful.
Hey, it's neat fun helping to spend other peoples money for a change

Check out 3 Port R Spec at http://www.massivemods.com.au/produc...products_id=72
Old 02-16-2008, 02:26 AM
thunder_tiger_S2PRO

thanks mate
Old 02-16-2008, 05:19 AM
thunder_tiger_S2PRO

does anyone else have any pics, videos of their buggys or truggys racing?
Old 02-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Cwhitham

My car (Hurricane XP) is at a dramatic loss of range (down to apprx. 10-15 yards) It had been working fine. Fresh Batteries the antenna on receiver and transmitter both have continuity and seem to check out but not sure. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:46 PM
ehroof

check to make sure the crystals are in good, antenna is extended on the radio and antenna, if all is good and you have had it less than 30 days, then email redcat for a radio replacement.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:23 PM
grizz1

I would love to have some vid's of my cars racing, but don't own a video camera (too busy spending money on my cars [:@])
It's always good to see pics and video clips on the forum. It's nice to see everyone having fun .
Today is a bummer - I should be racing my buggy at what is propably the best track in NZ, but I am stuck at work on an overtime day shift instead []. Hard decision to make, racing or money to pay the bills (and maybe buy some more bits for the cars). My sense of responsibility took over (darn it !!!), so here I am writing on the forum instead of thrashing my buggy.
Never mind. We will live to race another day [8D]
Old 02-16-2008, 07:26 PM
firebird78

getting big sucks..especially when u never grew up...lol...if we could only stay kids with an endless amount of money..lol
Old 02-16-2008, 07:31 PM
euphorik

Tell me about it. I enter that PCH 5000 a week for life contest all the time. If I hit that **** Ill be in buggy heaven.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 PM
firebird78

how u been euphorik?..enjoyin that buggy in HI.....your sooo lucky man...u prolly got ideal weather to run urs..lol..I cant give any update on mine...still sitting on the shelf waiting to get broke in...[:@]
Old 02-17-2008, 02:03 AM
grizz1

Yep, your right on there firebird78. euphoric sure has the ideal climate for buggy bashing. Hey euphoric, your in a beautiful place man. My better half and I spent a month in Hawaii with some good friends of ours some years ago now. They lived right on the beach at Makaha (not to far from your location). We did all the islands during our stay and still have great memories. I am a keen golfer, so I was in heaven for sure.
Firebird78, are you just having bad weather or are you in snow ??
Old 02-17-2008, 08:35 AM
firebird78

just cold...hasnt snowed in awhile....not sure how I toasted my engine last time but wanna make sure I do it right this time...I prolly could wrap the head in tinfoil...but nawww I can wait...I think..lol..has been quite a learning experience..I got a brand new temp gun new plugs and am ready to rock when it gets decent.. I'm thinking I broke it in too cold, changing fuel brands might notta helped...and im positive the time my engine mount screws hit the pavement and wound up reaaaaaally tight didnt help it...but I always had a lil blue smoke coming out at idle..and driving it would leave quite a bit of smoke...its kewl though cause now I know whats inside and how to break it down and go back together,,,been doing alotta reading on tuning and all that..its READY...been trying to make sure my lightining is ready to go too....I might have #3 bought by the time I can break the other 2 in..lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.