Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Rc driven into water!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 04:54 PM
Jlaporte0487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc driven into water!

Today I let my friend drive my Volcano sv on the beach and he drove my truck straight into the ocean! I immediately pulled it out, turned off the electronics and tried to drain all the water out of it. When i got home I dried it off, took out the glow plug, drained the salt water out of the engine and ran some fuel through it. I also dried the carb and air filter and drained the fuel out of the tank. I am now letting the car air dry and I do not plan on testing if it still works for atleast a day. I was wondering if there is anything else that I should do to save my car.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:04 PM
nitrosteve22

Default RE: Rc driven into water!

Well what I'd do is take the servos and reciever out,take the cases off and leave the exposed electronics in a safe dry place for a day or so to make dang sure everything is dry. The reciever is pretty simple,pry a couple tiny clips and pull the little circuit board out,for the servos just pull the bottom and top plate off,you dont need to take it all the way apart unless you want to. I'd toss the air filter,and if you know what your doing (not saying it as an insult or anything) pull the motor and take off the PS/back plate and flush the engine good with some fuel through the carb and glow plug whole and let it all drain out the back. I wouldnt worry to much about the engine once flushed its the electronics you need to watch but I've herd of this happening and people just let things dry out and are usually good to go unless something got fried. Test em out after you let things dry and you'll find out how lucky you are .
Old 12-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Jlaporte0487

Thanks man, I'll do that.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:04 AM
mozzzy_2000

yeah if they didn;t fry before you turned everything off, I'd let them dry for a day or so and then try them. I've had PCs with glasses of water poured over them and if you can turn it off before frying, after drying it should still work.

Having being in the ocean I am not sure what the salt residue will do after they've dried.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:17 PM
abjones413

Rule of thumb: Never let a friend, neighbor or ANY kid drive YOUR r/c, especially a nitro. I don't think ANYTHING good has ever come of these combinations...[:@]
Old 12-31-2006, 01:31 PM
nitrospeed33

i will let my friends drive as long as they dont go past 1/2 throttle and im right near them to keep and eye on things. but my neighbor whos in college who got me into this hobby, drove my nitro rustler once(he has a nitro rustler also) and he has never broke a part on his car, but the one time he drove mine, he smacked into a mailbox post at about 40 mph and broke off the pipe, cracked the tank, broke a suspension arm, and some other things. and since hes been in this hobby for a lot longer then i have and he had the same car as i did, i wasn't too woried about him driving it. and he didn't even bring out his car that day, he just heard mine and came out and aksed if he could drive, so i let him. but he paid for repairs though. and when he crashed the engine never turned off, but when the pipe broke off it sounded like a ferrari or lambo. is was sweet! it was good entertainment!
Old 12-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Jlaporte0487

Yeah, I definitely regret letting my friend drive my car, but he has driven nitro rc cars before. I don't know what he was thinking and at the least he could have hit the brake to stop the car. He was also able to brake the antenna on my remote while running to get the car![:@] I tried the car out today and the engine is perfectly fine, but I couldn't get the electronics to turn on. I am not sure if the servos and reciever are fried or if it might just be the the fuse, but I doubt it. Does anyone know where I can get a new remote, servos, and reciever that will work together?
Old 12-31-2006, 02:21 PM
nitrospeed33

try towerhobbies .com. they have great prices and good products. is your friend gonna pay for repairs??
Old 12-31-2006, 05:16 PM
Jlaporte0487

Yeah, my friend said he will pay for everything since it was his fault. I think that I am going to get replacement Redcat parts from another site online because I do not think that Tower has Redcat parts. I was looking at a new reciever from Redcat and I was wondering if it would work with my remote. I am not sure if I have to get one that is specific for the frequency of my remote.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:14 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get the radio from towerhobbies.com the futaba 2ph is a good radio for the money comes with everthing: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXASX3**&P=ML

i get all my redcat replacement parts from clermontmotorsports.com
Old 12-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Jlaporte0487

Thanks alot man. That radio has everything that I want, and at a better price than from Redcat. I think that I am going to order that tonight.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:38 AM
abjones413

jlaporte,
ehroof linked you a good setup, but this one's better, especially because it's going to be for a monster truck. It comes with one S3003 servo and one S3010 High Torque servo for the steering. I have this for my SV and it's schweeeet! You're not going to believe how much better this will help over the stock crap electronics... http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXEDP1**&P=ML The one ehroof linked has two S3003 standard servos, which are very good, but MTs need the added torque for steering those big ol' tires...
Old 01-01-2007, 02:43 AM
mozzzy_2000

I bought a brand new ofna Rx/Tx combo on ebay which had been taken out of an ultra lx. Only cost about $20-30 which was pretty sweet. But essentially most RTR kits have rebranded 2ch futaba's I think so anthing similar would do.

I'd suggest plugging in another servo in to the receiver first to see if its the servos or rx thats fried. If you have another car, try using the receiver in that as well just to make sure which parts of the electronics you need before you go out & replace everything. Of course it may all need replacing which woud be a major bummer of course!

I'd also advise to upgrade to a stronger servo. Look around cuz there's been some really good deals on servos that I have seen on the web.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Jlaporte0487

Thanks for the advice abjones, I ordered that today for my truck. I guess this didn't turn out all that bad for me considering I am getting new and better electronics for my truck at my friends expense.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:11 AM
naviuk

Hey Man

that sucks! i had a similar thing, i let my mate drive mine and he forgot that when the truck comes towards you it;s oppostie steering and also i told him not to go fast, So he got clever hit full throttle and turned the wrong way, he smashed it into a steel fence, it broke most of the plastic in the front but he never offered to pay for the repairs, he was like "Oh Sorry my bad" and that was the last of it, But anyway backl to the point i'm replying.

I would suggest you get a full traxxas radio set, i changed all my electronics to traxxas system, I also got the high torque steering servo, there are a few adjustments you need to do but they are so minor and WELL WORTH THE CHANGE, i noticed a huge increase in Range, response, everything once i changed over. it;s the best move i ever did for my truck, Also i have a Traxxas Stampede, so it;s nice to have the same remotes so if one is messing around you just change the crystal and off you go.

Think about it and see what happens, it;s a good move

cheers
Old 01-04-2007, 01:00 AM
nitro_racer_1
My Feedback: (2)

wow wish he was my friend lol, tell him u need a brand new truck lol jk. well it looks like u did everything u could do for the motor, if it runs u are really lucky. good luck. u dont have to buy redcat electronics, any will work, actually i would recomend getting another brand of electronics.
ORIGINAL: Jlaporte0487

Yeah, my friend said he will pay for everything since it was his fault. I think that I am going to get replacement Redcat parts from another site online because I do not think that Tower has Redcat parts. I was looking at a new reciever from Redcat and I was wondering if it would work with my remote. I am not sure if I have to get one that is specific for the frequency of my remote.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:03 AM
nitro_racer_1

lol i had a similer thing happen too when i had my first truck a e-rusty i let my mom drive it and she when stright into about 8" of water and fried everything
Old 01-04-2007, 10:52 AM
nitrospeed33

ouch![X(]
Old 01-04-2007, 11:56 PM
TORNADO BB

that happened to me but just the pipe broke off and it was loud
Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 AM
nitrospeed33

i love it when the pipe falls off its sounds cool, but its bad for the engine[] so i dont run it like that.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:05 PM
nitro_racer_1

lol i had a runa way with my 3.3 powerd himoto rapida and it was soo scarry it was at ahighschool runing track and i couldnt catch it, it hit head on into the goal post knocked the pipe off like 20 feet and kept going, (loud as hell!!) untill it smashed into the bottom of the bleacher and i killed it, didnt break anything and still runs awesome, i got really lucky.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:15 PM
nitrospeed33

wow[X(] if only that could always happen with the rc cars.lol
Old 01-06-2007, 12:35 AM
nitro_racer_1

lol