Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Binding Gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Jlaporte0487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Binding Gears

Hi, I recently drove my Volcano Sv at the beach and towards the end of the day I noticed that the gears seem to be binding. When I roll the truck on the ground it rolls easily for about a foot and then it gets really hard to push, it feels similar to when I apply the brake. If I continue to push it it will loosen up after I push it a few inches, but it binds in the same spot again. I took out the engine and made sure the brake was off and it still does it. I think it is coming from the center box that has several gears in it, but I don't know what is causing it. I can freely spin both the front and rear wheels without it binding if I let the right and left tires spin in opposite directions. I looked at it and I cannot see where it is binding, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Binding Gears

maybe the center gears have sand in them, you may have to take out the transmission and clear it out and inspect it.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:12 PM
dclintonh

take a nail and scrape out inbetween the teeth on the bell and the tranny gears.
you gotta have sand or a shell or somthing in there. i get little rocks in mine so i always clean mine out. i had a little rock in there once that messed up one of my tranny gears. i had to file it out smooth again. you should also check to see if your teeth for buggered up edges cause a rock will stop you cold and a chipped gear will just spin funny.

btw you dont have to take the tranny out.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:15 PM
ehroof

you cant get to the smaller gears without taking the transmission out, only the spur and clutch bell
Old 01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
dclintonh

smaller gears???
where are they? you mean diff gears
i hate to take all that apart cause im afraid that the threads in the plastic will wear out.
ehroof you ve had yours awhile, you had any probs. with that?
ive only had mine apart 8or9 times and i can tell they are getting looser.
thanks
Old 01-11-2007, 08:30 PM
ehroof

i blow mine off with compressed air, i have only taken my trans apart to change the spur gear and i havent done that since i upgraded the clutch bell
Old 01-11-2007, 10:56 PM
graymatters

I had this happen to a Volcano SV and the gears were clear. ONly difference was this was in dirt. If the gears are cleared out, also clean out the bearings in the transmission the best you can.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Jlaporte0487

Well I finally fixed it. I first took out the engine and cleaned the gears with the tip of a knife which made it better. Then I used my air compressor to spray off the gears which completely fixed it. I then reinstalled the engine with the correct gear mesh, but it started to bind again. I blew it off again with compressed air which made it better again and I finally sprayed it with some oil which fixed it. It now works pretty much like new.