Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:13 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

ORIGINAL: kegger420

with the 2.2 truck rims and tires, arent they bigger than the stock tornado XL tires/wheel? if put these on my XL, wil i need to change the the gear wheel or any other gearing?
the rims above are 2.2 but the tires are low profile so they are the same or maybe slightly higher than the stock tornado tires, they are wider but the diameter are about the same. if you put 2.2 rims and truck tires, the gearing will be too high, i tried with 2.2 rims and gladiator tires and it had no low end.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:15 PM
hibityhupla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: donshl

Hi all, I recently brought a HSP tyrannosaurus truck and been reading through these forums for hints/tips and its been amazing, Thanks everyone for all the help! I've broken it in and also broke the steering servo (replaced with MG tower pro 995). The problem I have is it starts fine, but as soon as I give it some throttle the engine cuts out, I've checked the fuel lines. carb, changed the glow plug etc( all the tips mentioned) and still no luck.... I've tried to replace the clutch shoes with the HPI teflon ones but I only got one set of springs (short) and they dont fit at all (I'll post some pics on these later) so I just put back the stock ones on.

Anyone has any idea what could be wrong? The truck runs fine with the glow starter on (but it idles without the starter and shuts off when I give throttle, I've set the LSN and HSN to factory settings)

As I'm new to this, please bear with me! Thanks again for all the help!!
Are you using a hot plug? Mine doesn't like to run on anything else. Also you are probably rich. Try holding the wing and give it a little gas, lean it out little by little while holding it and giving it gas until you can make the tires spin at a stand still. If the clutch was broke it wouldn't even start with the tires on the ground.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:19 PM
hibityhupla

ORIGINAL: newdoughboy

I was wondering if my wheels should be very stiff when the car is not running. I was just taking the nuts off the wheels and cleaning them. After putting them back on, i noticed that the wheels are very stiff and can't spin smoothly. I don't think it's because the nuts are too tight because and looser, I could trist them off with my fingers. So my question is, does it matter whether the wheels are very tight?
Your answer is yes, it does make a difference how tight the wheels are. Just loosen them up a little and put some lok-tite on the nuts so they won't back off.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 PM
ehroof

hibity you are correct about overtightning the nuts, you can easily do it but if the nylon on the wheel nuts is worn out, your better off replacing them because even with loctite they will come flying off.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:26 PM
hibityhupla

I always just end up having to tear it apart to fix something before they ever get a chance to back off. As much super glue as I use I should by stocks in the company. lol
Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 PM
hibityhupla

buy not by. sorry
Old 09-13-2007, 07:28 PM
ehroof

yes, ca is your friend in this hobby along with accelrator
Old 09-13-2007, 07:42 PM
hibityhupla

I would have to say the biggest flaw in these are the transmissions. I've been through about ten of them in a matter of five months. You really have to be on the ball and check the gears for rocks religiously or it's shot in a matter of minutes. They're great on road and in grass but at the gravel pits they suck. it's too bad the trannies aren't sealed off like on the traxxas trucks I have. It's a lot cheaper to replace one gear rather then a whole transmission all the time.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:48 PM
ehroof

you can just buy the gears, you dont need to buy the whole transmission. the spurs are real cheap too.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:54 PM
hibityhupla

I know that. I have three of each on hand now. Sometimes it's just easier to say screw it and change the whole thing. I'm trying to find a way to seal as much of it off as possible but so far the design is the biggest flaw. If i ever figure it out I'll re post and let you know. My only other thought is to take a set of gears to a machine shop and try and make a set out of metal.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:04 PM
ehroof

i am sure you did but just in case, did you put tape on the bottom of it. i feel funny about this because yes it stops rocks from coming in from the bottom but also stops them from coming out, lol. Maybe stay out of gravel pits, lol, just kidding
Old 09-13-2007, 08:15 PM
hibityhupla

I kinda gave up on taking my bb pro out there but the hurricane is wonderful. I've put it through hell with only one broke rear hub. The hurricane comes stock with a metal tranny gear though. I have it on film jumping three full size cars side by side over and over without any problems except the silicone exhaust coupler came off. I swapped the stock exhaust for one that is held together with springs and haven't had a problem since. I like my jato but once you wreck the car is screwed. The revo is great but all the plastic scares me. The best little toy I've got is a IRC Vulcan Se. It came with tons of aluminum like the bb pro but so far I have no complaints except speed. Being 1/16 scale it's more of a toy then anything though.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 PM
ehroof

did you put the 2 speed in the vulcan? they make one.

the hurricane is a great buggy, i havent broken a thing on it yet. most rc's hold up fairly well, plastic and all, my tmaxx goes thru the wringer and its always fine. Volcano takes a good beating too. the tornado's i have do great too, i havent broken a suspention part yet on any of them.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:33 PM
hibityhupla

I ordered one, it should be here soon. The stock .05 engine kinda sucked so I swapped it with the Trinity.095 and it's got decent power now. Last time I took my revo out my front left push-rod come off and ruined the end so I ordered a set of carbon fiber ones and aluminum ends. of course still waiting. My bb i keep ruining trannies and bending shocks. The jato when wrecked goes into cartwheels and bends the arms. My smartech cars are fun but not very fast. the only one I have no complaints about is the hurricane. Maybe I'm a little too hard on them but that's what boys do. We buy toys to see how much they'll do before they break. So after about $10,000 In cars and parts and engines and more parts it has become more of an obsession then a hobby.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:38 PM
d3d5

i think i'm to hard on my cars to i only got my first nitro about 2months ago but the body is ruined broke both t-bones almost cracked exhaust in half luckly i didn't, i tend to get the front bumper to bend down and get stuck in holse making the flip end over end at full speed.

forgot to say i have a hpi firestorm and just order a tornado bb should be here by wensday
Old 09-13-2007, 08:39 PM
ehroof

i understand bro, i have over 25 cars and trucks, not to mention planes, boats, heli's and a couple of motorcycles. did you get the draked engine? Get the rpm arms for the jato, i have the stock ones but will get the rpm's next time, i have seen xhoutas on the forum here do some crazy beatings on his jato and nothing broke, actually i saw him break 2 aluminum shock towers in an hour, lol. we were amazed, then finally the tranny case. my onroads very rarely break, unless you kiss the wall at 50mph. If you didnt break anything, you didnt run hard enough, you need to break something, we go running on the weekends and i am sure rc danny, xhoutas will tell you, we very rarely leave without at least 1 rc broken.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:47 PM
newdoughboy

Hey guys, I've had mine Tornado BB for a week now, and I have already broken all 4 wheels, 3 of them have cracked through the rims and one just shattered. The power switch also came loose. And my shocks always come loose. And the exhaust pipe have melted. So I have a few things to replace. So the wheels broke because I jumped about 6 feet. and shocks always come loose because i do lots of cart wheels. and I have no clue why the exhause melted off the connector. I don't run it too lean. So now I am buying a new exhaust. My question is that once I put the glow plug ignitor away from the glow plug, the rpm totally drops and the engine dies after a few seconds. I tried adjusting the idle screw but at any other position, the car won't start. I believe it's very rich but I can't seem to do anything about it. Please help.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 PM
hibityhupla

I have five I take with me all the time and four that stay home and out of the five I'm lucky if one comes home that doesn't need help. I tried pimping out a smartech car with a supercharger and n.o.s. kit and it did go a little faster but in the long run the engine is only good to a certain rpm and that's it. So at most I picked up low end enough to pull ahead and then I was screwed. The n.o.s. would actually make it lean out (the same as the supercharger) at high end and it ran too hot and ruined two engines. I have the rdlogics aluminum arms on my jato but like I said they bend constantly..I'll try the rpm's , for the price you can't go wrong.

Know anything about running in snow? Is it o.k.?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:50 PM
ehroof

either replace your plug or lean the low end a little, 1/8 at a time and see if that helps. i would suggest the plug first and use an os a3 plug, thats all i run in my stock redcat engines.

http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...A3-plug/Detail
Old 09-13-2007, 08:51 PM
hibityhupla

Try changing the plug to start with.
ORIGINAL: newdoughboy

Hey guys, I've had mine Tornado BB for a week now, and I have already broken all 4 wheels, 3 of them have cracked through the rims and one just shattered. The power switch also came loose. And my shocks always come loose. And the exhaust pipe have melted. So I have a few things to replace. So the wheels broke because I jumped about 6 feet. and shocks always come loose because i do lots of cart wheels. and I have no clue why the exhause melted off the connector. I don't run it too lean. So now I am buying a new exhaust. My question is that once I put the glow plug ignitor away from the glow plug, the rpm totally drops and the engine dies after a few seconds. I tried adjusting the idle screw but at any other position, the car won't start. I believe it's very rich but I can't seem to do anything about it. Please help.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:53 PM
d3d5

i use thoughs 2
Old 09-13-2007, 08:58 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: hibityhupla

I have five I take with me all the time and four that stay home and out of the five I'm lucky if one comes home that doesn't need help. I tried pimping out a smartech car with a supercharger and n.o.s. kit and it did go a little faster but in the long run the engine is only good to a certain rpm and that's it. So at most I picked up low end enough to pull ahead and then I was screwed. The n.o.s. would actually make it lean out (the same as the supercharger) at high end and it ran too hot and ruined two engines. I have the rdlogics aluminum arms on my jato but like I said they bend constantly..I'll try the rpm's , for the price you can't go wrong.

Know anything about running in snow? Is it o.k.?
you can, just waterproof the electrics in a ballon, also spray down the car with wd40 and blow off, will help keep moisture off, just make sure you dry good when your done.

yeah, superchargers are a big argument maker, i personally dont think they work, they may lean out the engine like you said but you can do that with a turn of the tuning needle and save $189, lol. i would think the nitrous would work alot better.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:05 PM
hibityhupla

The nos kinda works but it's like in spurts.?????????????? It will take off like crazy, cut out, take off, cut out ... It's like it leans out tries to die then goes like hell again.

Anyone thought of plastic dip for the electronics?
Old 09-13-2007, 09:08 PM
ehroof

i was thinking about the liquid elect. tape you can get at home depot but a ballon would be easier i think
Old 09-13-2007, 09:10 PM
d3d5

for balloons can i just get regular party ballons?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.