Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tsunami Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:30 PM
forlorm22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tsunami Thread

Has anyone cut a hole in the top of there shell to help the engine stay cool or start with the shell on at all? I cut a hole in the windshield like ehroof has but wasn't sure if thats enough to help the heat escape?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Macanan

I did, I cut one above the motor to help start it and I cut one in the wind shield and one for the gas and one small one for the HSN.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:49 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cut above the engine too, this way you can start without taking the body off!!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:58 PM
carl1864

I know this is a newbie question, but I can't find the answer anywhere else. I was wondering, how do you know what other parts are compatible with the Tsunami. I hear of people using other brands of parts. I also hear of alot of people buying from tower hobbies, however when I go to their site I don't find any redcat parts. An example is I need a new spur gear 42T, every place I see online has them for about $4 or less, but shipping usually is more than the part itself.

Are there any online stores that sell compatible parts with cheap shipping? A spur gear should only cost under $1 in a bubble mailer.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:05 AM
KeithjV

All these sellers get you on the shipping. Best thing to do is order a bunch of parts you think you might need to minimize the shipping. Raidentech, exceed rc, allaboutfunhobbies, clermonthobby all carry parts for the redcat/himoto cars. Just search by the part number you need.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:19 AM
jumpanddrop

wut ever u do, dont order from exceed or radiantech. they always mess up and orders and get you the wrong things.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:22 AM
KeithjV

I ordered from raidentech, they were slow but I did get what I needed. I wouldnt make them my first choice but if you are stuck they are an option.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:55 AM
forlorm22

can anyone who cut a hole above the engine to start with the body on take a quick picture so I can see how it came out please?
Old 03-21-2008, 07:57 AM
KeithjV

I cut out the back for ventilation and so I can get to the pull starter when the body is on.
I also cut a hole on one side of the windshield. Im still debating about cutting out the passenger side window for a little more air and to make it easier to refuel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60387.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	909334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63908.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	909335  
Old 03-21-2008, 08:44 AM
nitrosushi

ORIGINAL: carl1864

I know this is a newbie question, but I can't find the answer anywhere else. I was wondering, how do you know what other parts are compatible with the Tsunami. I hear of people using other brands of parts. I also hear of alot of people buying from tower hobbies, however when I go to their site I don't find any redcat parts. An example is I need a new spur gear 42T, every place I see online has them for about $4 or less, but shipping usually is more than the part itself.

Are there any online stores that sell compatible parts with cheap shipping? A spur gear should only cost under $1 in a bubble mailer.
I am also a newbie and bought my car and and other parts from Wade at allaboutfunhobbies. He doesn't charge for shipping if the order is over $10 and he is a Redcat dealer.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:47 AM
KeithjV

Wow, thats good to know sushi.
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:48 AM
forlorm22

keith, did you cut your antenna wire short? Or are you using a different type of reciever or something? Also how do you like those tires? I'm gonna order some new ones today but cant decide if I want the jato tires and rims or some proline 30 series like the dirt hawgs or something similar.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:30 AM
nitrosushi

ORIGINAL: KeithjV

I cut out the back for ventilation and so I can get to the pull starter when the body is on.
I also cut a hole on one side of the windshield. Im still debating about cutting out the passenger side window for a little more air and to make it easier to refuel.

You did such a great job! I just tried it, my hand slipped and now I have a nice BIG gash in the body! What do you expect from a newbie! LOL!!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 12:12 PM
KeithjV

Im using a spektrum radio so it has a short antenna. The range on it is great and there is no glitchinbg. Definitely worth the upgrade if you have the money.
As for the body. I used an exacto knife and I just followed the lip. Trust me its not that straight and I discovered when I was taking the pictures it has some sharp edges I need to file down. Just get a good sharp exacto, maybe a pair of body scissors and a dremel and you should be good to go on just about any project.
The tires are the HPI Yokohoamas and HPI scorch rims. I didnt like the yellow wheels that came on the truck and the tires seemed too spongy. I like the way the tires grip and the truck flies as it is so the stiffer rubber helps with the traction. I loved the color of the rims too.
If you have chrome rims you can dye them using RIT dye to get the black chrome.
Im thinking about changing the shock oil out to a heavier weight to slow down the rebound so the truck doesnt bounce so much.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:59 PM
nitrosushi

Is there anything I can coat the pull start string with to prevent it from fraying? I am noticing it is starting and want to be proactive....
Old 03-21-2008, 04:58 PM
KeithjV

Where is it fraying?
I wouldnt put anything on it as it could effect the pull start itself or the one way bearing.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 PM
nitrosushi

ORIGINAL: KeithjV

Where is it fraying?
I wouldnt put anything on it as it could effect the pull start itself or the one way bearing.
The string itself is fraying. I guess about 6 inches from the pull.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:49 PM
ohsobrown

I am replacing my transmission, and i am trying to hook everything abck up. and im at the part where i am attaching my brake. do i tightien the screws all the way so my brake is rubbing, or do i leave some play so that the disc has some play?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:06 PM
KeithjV

The screws should be tightened all the way so that they dont work their way out but you want some play in the braka disc. You might need to add a washer or two so that the screws dont lock the brake.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Encountr

Hi all

Frist of all, thanks to all for this nice furom... big help for newbies.
I'm new to the RC world... Just got my first Nitro ever a few weeks ago. A standard Tsunami...
I thought i could share my experience with other newbies...

Well, i'm a mecanic (i built Choppers , scooters and ATV) so i know my way arround mecanic and engine 2 strokes and 4 strokes...
I live in Quebec Canada and its VERY cold out here = rich mixture...
After break in my engine, it was time to tune it up for more power. SO... following guideline from experienced guys, i started to lean the engine a bit, always going a 1/8 of a turn leaner... WAS'NT GOOD THOUGH.
tHEN, I REALIZED... damn, its like -15 -20c outside... My engine would always die when WOT.
So, i started to richen it up... 1/8 of a turn richer eatch time... to get back to the original setting, which was still to lean...
After MANY test run, i found THE sweet spot.
LSN almost at factory setting.
HSN 4 turns out... NOW THATS RICH BABY!
Realize that: 4 turn out, at a 1/8 turn increment, thats a hell of a tune-up. Took me like 20 test passes to tune it properly.
My break in was done inside (with huge ventilation settup in the garage) so my breakin did not suffer from cold weather... my engine is ok.
Just for the newbies to know, yes, tune your engine with only 1/8 of a turn increment, cuz sometimes, just a tiny adjustment can change everything but also keep in mind that, sometimes, seting you engine can be a LONG and painfull task.

Also, the gear mesh was"nt properly set from factory... Since i'm a mecanic, i have the good habbit to double check factory assembled vehicles... so i noticed it before i rode it. Thanks to my experience with other petrol wonders.
Also, another thing i found was that the spring stopper on the throttle linkage was not properly tighten... i was able to slide it off the linkage with no effort at all... THATS BAD! Means that if I have'nt notice that, my Tsunami would have run away like never.
Also, look for loose bolts and nuts!!!

I also had issues with the radio system... but actually, i'm the problem here.
Winter in Quebec = tons of snow (especialy this year!!!)
First run ever... lots of snow... great time with the car... then snow melts in the car.... not good.
Second run, great start, lots of fun too, but then, reciever went crazy... car went full throttle in the garage door... DAMN!
After inspection, well my radio setup was dead. Had to change all that.
I now have a Futaba kit and love it.
Also, the oil in the shock got afected by the low temps. It got thicker and then, after a hard landing, all 4 shock were leakin oil!! lolll

Anyway, after a radio system, 4 shocks, one dogbone, one servo saver, 2 C hubs and alot of swearing, its now ready for SUMMER.

All that being said, we should all agree that these little rocket are not made for snow / cold weather usage..
Remember that plastic parts get rigid when cold and THEY WILL SNAP.
Hard pack snow, sunny day with 5c temps will be ok though but colder then that, not good.
I did have a blast in snow though, it realy is cool to bash them arround and driftting in powder snow...

So...newbies, take your time to look at the car BEFORE you test it out, take time to check nuts and bolts, take time to breakin properly, and take time to tune it up properly... even if sometimes, its a pain and long process... it realy worth it.

I love my Tsunami.
Its good quality for the price.

Sorry for the long post... had alot to say.

To all petrol head, keep bashing.

Enc.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:19 AM
5lagd

Hey Encountr............. did you know you have a redcat dealer in Quebec?????????? His name is Sebastien. Pm him on here (stallone11 is his rcu name) or email him @ [email protected] . Hell id love to have a redcat dealer near me. But Sebastien is my man. parts fast and great pricing. drop him a line.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Encountr

Thanks for the hint man... already dealt with the guy... he really is a good dealer.
Fats answer, fast shipping... and has knowledge too.

He kick *****
Old 03-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Encountr

Guys, i found a reason for broken dog bones...
Maybe it all got addresed in other thread but to be honnest, i dont feel like reading 900+ post to realise it! lolll

So, i got one broken dog done after a landing so i thought it would be related to suspension travel.

Force your suspension all the way up and try turning that wheel.
Do you feel resistance?
I did, and alot of it.

That resistance is caused by the dog bone going too deep in the cup. The dog bone end actually rubs the bottom and the side of the cup, which cause resistance, friction and therefore, to much stress for those little bones.

To fix that, simply adjust the camber of the wheels till there is no more resistance from the dog bones.
Your wheel camber can be adjusted by the suspension linkage OR/AND with the screw that holds the linkage to the wheel hubs.
The linkage will allow you to adjust it better since you have more precision over it.

Note that you dont want to adjust it too loose since the dogbone might end up going out of the cup but there is enough room there to adjuste them properly...

Hope that help some of you!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:36 PM
carl1864

So heres another newbie question.

I haven't done anything to modify my tsunami yet, and I'm really on a tight budget. But say if I rounded up about $50, what would be the best bang for my buck as far as must have modifications? And where would be a good place to buy them from?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Encountr

My opinion:

keep your 50$ for spare parts... we, newbies, always need spare parts lollll

Seriously, i think the first upgrades for a Tsunami is the electronics (receiver and servos) but this is a newbie opinion...

I found that after swaping the stock electronics (which died after an unfortunate snow job) for a Futaba kit, (75$ CDN), the throttle and steering response are WAY WAY WAY fatser then before. Also, they seem to be less subject to interferances...

Just a newb opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.