Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Electronics Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:49 PM
groovetrippin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronics Problem

Whats up everyone,

Need some help.... Have a brand new out of the box Tornado BB and was following all the steps to break in the engine. Tested all the electronics with fresh batteries and the tested the engine.. Both worked like a champ. All of a sudden the controls just stopped working... Checked all the connections and made sure they were tight... Changed out the batt's for new ones and nothing... Let the car sit for about an hour and everything works again... Then 5 min's later the electronics just quit... This has happened now about 3 times. Any clue what's up? I am new so please break your answers down into plain english... Just kidding But please do.

-ash
Old 03-26-2007, 06:59 AM
MiniCwik

Default RE: Electronics Problem

A friend of mine had similar problems, check the connections to the receiver itself inside of the receiver box. Also be sure that your batteries are not coming loose in either the transmitter or in the receiver box.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:22 PM
rclynx

And if MiniCwik's advise doesn't help I've seen that happen when they pinch a wire under the reciever box [:-]
Old 03-27-2007, 06:20 AM
MiniCwik

Yeah I did that to my own, was not paying attention when tightening down the lid and noticed I had a couple wires sticking out, dohhhh!!!! That'll do it too for sure!!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:16 PM
groovetrippin

Still trying to figure this out.... This slow start is really starting to kill me... All I want to do is hear that whinning engine and get some dirt time...

Redcat suggested that I replace the battery pack/ cradle.. Have not had a chance to get to RS to do that yet.

I just bought a new Fatuba attack II on ebay it comes with 2 servos and transmitter and 72 mhz crystals.

When you replace a controller do have to change the transmitter with it? Or just changing the crystals all I need to do?

Should I change everything out or stick with the stock servos and transmitter... Is there anything that I need to watch out for while doing this?

Thanks
-ash
Old 03-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

If your buying a package, change servos and receiver along with transmitter.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:54 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: groovetrippin

Still trying to figure this out.... This slow start is really starting to kill me... All I want to do is hear that whinning engine and get some dirt time...

Redcat suggested that I replace the battery pack/ cradle.. Have not had a chance to get to RS to do that yet.

I just bought a new Fatuba attack II on ebay it comes with 2 servos and transmitter and 72 mhz crystals.

When you replace a controller do have to change the transmitter with it? Or just changing the crystals all I need to do?

Should I change everything out or stick with the stock servos and transmitter... Is there anything that I need to watch out for while doing this?

Thanks
-ash

72 mhz is not a surface frequency, its for planes, 75 and 27 mhz are for surface vehicles.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:06 AM
groovetrippin

Whats up... Update!!!!

Think I figured out what is wrong. I went ahead and bought a new transmitter and receiver ( after reading the forums seen a few that suggested to change them out for better experience ) and it seems to work. I swapped out crystals to check that and no luck. Changed the battery cradle, receiver and transmitter... seems to be working its been about 10 min's now. Only problem it that I now have 72 mhz for aircraft only. So I will have to buy news one. Total I have spent about $50.00 to get to this point.

Hope toi get some dirt time tomorrow after picking up some crystals... any clue how much they cost? whats a good feq to get.

-ash
Old 03-31-2007, 08:32 AM
groovetrippin

update....

Changed the crystals... no luck... then changed the transmitter and receiver... and bingo I got a working set... I guess the crystal, receiver were fried or something... I used new battery's... So I don't think its my fault... waiting to hear back from Redcat for a credit or some type.

Car is running great got about 15 mins of run time trying to break in the engine... Then I lost my throttle spring... Replaced it the next day with a spring from a ballpoint pen!

Forgot to charge my glow plug ignitor... Oh what fun it is being a newbie

-ash
Old 03-31-2007, 09:58 AM
ehroof

good bro, you'll get the hang of it. You cant switch crystals between frequencies, you need to use 75 mhz on a 75 mhz radio, you cant use 27 or 72 on a 75 mhz radio system and visa, versa.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:20 PM
TannerReagan

I just got a Tornado BB brand new for christmas and it acts like kinda the same thing. It will go like 10to20 feet and then i will loose control and it took off on me like 3 times now. I made sure everthing was connected fine and everthing and i even took it to a neighbor that knows a lot about nitro cars. I checked for a warranty and told them about the problem hopefully i can get it swapped out w/ a new one. Apparently the Tornado BB's are bad about electrical problems.[>:]
Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 PM
ehroof

upgrade the radio to a futaba 2ph for like $50, you get 2 servos, radio and reciever, or the 2pl for a few bucks more. The stock radios are not that great
Old 04-02-2007, 08:28 PM
TannerReagan

Ya but i've seen plenty of people have the stock transmiters and controllers and everthing and they work GREAT! Why should i have to spend another 50 bucks just b/c of a piece of crap. Right now i just bought a new Ignitor b/c my other one burnt out or something i now am getting a D battery one. Can you think of any other way to make it better?????And should it really only go 10 feet?????
Old 04-02-2007, 08:37 PM
ehroof

it definately should go more than 10 feet bro, if the have had the radio for less than 30 days redcat will replace it for you, if you have had it longer, dont buy another stock one, get the futaba setup. There is no way to make the stock system better except for replacing it, lol.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:01 PM
groovetrippin

Changed out my receiver and control... Fixed the glitch!

Mine will go about 200 yards at least and have not had a problem other than my driving.

I can control it across a wal mart parking lot. It is super fast!!!!! Just upgrade... Takes 5 mins for a novice like me... It's well worth it.

What is the top speed? I really think mine is about 50mph... If it had wings it would fly!

-ash
Old 04-03-2007, 10:23 AM
TannerReagan

If i don't have the engine running and turn on the reciever and transmitter and see how far they will go apart, is that how far it should go with the engine running?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:25 AM
TannerReagan

Also... Do you think i should get a fail safe just to make sure it won't take off on me and mess up any more shocks???
Old 04-03-2007, 11:05 AM
ehroof

you cant go wrong with a failsafe [link]http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Mini-Failsafe-Unit-Nitro-Cars-Throttle-Return_W0QQitemZ190093776438QQcategoryZ34063QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem[/link]
Old 04-03-2007, 11:06 AM
MiniCwik

Yes, I would definitely get a failsafe!

I am ordering one as we speak from AllAboutFunHobbies.com - http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/accesories.htm

A LHS told my bro that Emergency vehicles like Ambulences communicate verbally over the 27mhz AM band and that if one went by while he was driving his RC truck he could lose it. It's relatively cheap insurance for all of the time/money/efforts put into them.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:31 PM
TannerReagan

thanks for the ebay, i will probably buy it.[8D]
Old 04-04-2007, 01:42 PM
groovetrippin

Update....

Redcat Racing guys are great. They contacted me today to let me know that I can get a credit to make up for the Items I have to replace.

That is great customer service!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:06 PM
TannerReagan

Yeah, I emailed them about mine too, and they said i could send the controller in and they would send me a new one right away but i have to have the order # or packaging slip or something where could i find the order #?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:08 PM
groovetrippin

use your ebay order number... if you bought on ebay thats what I used.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:24 PM
TannerReagan

Do you think i should just send in the controller or buy a new set of better things and then they will give me credit for it?????
Old 04-04-2007, 05:03 PM
rclynx

Doubt it but you could try. Usually all problems are taken care of by exchange of bad product[&o]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.