Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Looking to go 1/8

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 08:17 PM
dtsn280z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to go 1/8

General question. I want to go to 1/8. I'm looking at the Humiliator truggy (OFNA) and the Warhead Evo (duratrax) and the CEN Matrix truggy. I have some Tornado BB's and they're fast when they're up. Love them. This kinda' brings me back to Redcat. But it seems that I'm always fixing them after every run. Even on flat ground. I understand this a hobby, just looking for more run time. How are the Hurricane XP Pro's? Seem to be solid but are they reliable. I'm a basher not a racer and generally not that rough on them. Is there a "Honda" out there. LOL? Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:20 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking to go 1/8

the cen is great, i like the mutilator too, i am getting one from clermontmotorsports.com, hopefully i will have by mid next week, check out his site, he has good prices on them: http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...ena-RTR/Detail

i love my hurricane, i can bash it and beat it and it comes back for more, its a great buggy and you cant beat the price either. http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...-redcat/Detail
Old 05-24-2007, 08:27 PM
dtsn280z

Thanks man,

I'm thinking the .32 on the OFNA should be pretty tough. From what I've read, the knuckles need to be swapped with ali ones from Nitrohouse. I've got parts from Clermont, they're good people. Do you think it's worth the xtra $$$ for the XP Pro?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:29 PM
ehroof

nah, keep it stock. dennis is a great guy to do business with, i wouldnt do business with anyone else, he has all the parts for what he sells too. check out my video of my hurricane

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...ewithmusic.flv
Old 05-24-2007, 08:37 PM
dtsn280z

That's a cool vid. Is there a big difference between the buggy and a truggy? Is the XP as fast as the Tornados and are there any gear issues? I've rounded out three HPI setups on my BB's and two second gears. Love the speed though. How do they compare? Sounds like you have one of each car out there. LOL :-)
Old 05-24-2007, 08:38 PM
ehroof

bro, i have one of every brand and type, lol. over 25. The hurricane is faster and has steel clutch bell and spur gear, you will need alot of bashing to ruin them.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:03 PM
dtsn280z

Is there anything that needs to be done outta the box for the XP? Is the spring good and how are the shocks?

So I guess you spend most of your time in the garage.... or the dog house LOL... :-)

Old 05-24-2007, 09:07 PM
G*Man

When I got my Cane I immediately loctited the whole buggy, swapped out the diff fluids for OFNA 5000F-7000C-2000R and swapped out the shock fluid for 50wt up front and 40 wt in the back. Mine came with the factory settings way too stiff, currently on buggy tires I run 6mm and 4mm preload (rear/front) and with my truggy tires Ill run 15mm and 10mm preload(rear/front)
Old 05-24-2007, 09:07 PM
ehroof

thats it bro, i live for rc, have them all, cars, trucks, boats, planes, heli's, snowmobile. its a little much but i truely love the hobby. Just use it out of the box, nothing really needs to be done but you can do like gman did just to make it that much better.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

the biggest difference is the width, and length which will give you much better handleing. I personally run the hurricane and the cen matrix truggy. My son now has the hurricane and i only use the matrix truggy. In my honest opinion, cen is the best for the money but that is me. I have some video's at www.putfile.com/chubbysdad you can see them both run.
If you want send me an email, and I can show you live video from my store comparing models. Then you can see for yourself.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:28 PM
mozzzy_2000

yeah the hurricane is really very solid for what you pay for so its bashable straight outta the box. But like its mentioned above its worth loctiting every screw on the chassis and just generally metal on metal screws. Then look at changing the diff & shock oils but its not totally necessary straight away but changing these will dramatically alter the handling characteristics for the better so its worth doing sooner rather than later I reckon. Also the hurricane doesn't have any issues with the clutch or anything so I feel its a much better but in the end compared to the 1/10 tornado. But essentially you can't really compare a 1/8 to a 1/10 anyway.

I had to laugh at this
I'm looking at the Humiliator truggy (OFNA)
I know you meant mutilator but "Humiliator" made my chuckle! (no pun intended!) LOL

Old 05-24-2007, 11:36 PM
dtsn280z

Thanks Mozzzy for the input. Thats been the biggest thing with the Tornados, gears goin out and clutch issues. Otherwise man, they're fast and alot of bang for the buck. Good one to learn on, right?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:41 PM
dtsn280z

Hey Mozzzy, just caught that... I guess you're humiliated once you're mutiliated huh... LOL too funny..
Old 05-25-2007, 12:02 AM
mozzzy_2000

yeah mate the 1/10 are a great platform to get into the sport thats for sure. Cheap to buy and cheap to run. Its when you go upto 1/8th when things get a bit more serious! LOL but yeah for the money the hurricane is hard to beat as an entry level 1/8 scale buggy thats for sure!

Thee Humililator!! LOL yeah classic. I wonder what other names we could come up with??