Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

New to RC Hobby - Looking at Redcat Tornado BB

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New to RC Hobby - Looking at Redcat Tornado BB

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:53 AM
RC_Hobo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC Hobby - Looking at Redcat Tornado BB

Hello Folks,

I am very new to the RC world. It has been something that has interested me for many years just never had the time to money to get involved.

I am looking at purchasing my first car, and I am looking at getting a Redcat Tornado BB. I need something that has good performance, is tough and a good beginner car at a low price point.

I was 2 clicks away from ordering the Tornado BB, but before I do, I would like some thoughts from the more experienced RC Hobbiests (if thats even a word).

If I get the Tornado BB, I am wondering what spare parts I should get with it so I am equipped if anything goes wrong and I will not have to wait for shipping etc.

If anyone could please help out and lend some advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 12:36 PM
tom5252

Default RE: New to RC Hobby - Looking at Redcat Tornado BB

i have a tornado xp, tornado xl, and a lightning str. good deal for the money. you will need an extra clutch spring, the stock spring is famous for breaking. i just bent the end up and hooked it back together.
also be sure the clutch bell and transmission gears are set properly or you will strip out the gears.
dont smack anything real hard or you will need front lower arms and pins.

dont let me discourage you. my 12 year old son runs the crap out of these cars and they are worth the money, and parts are cheap

zoom zoom
tom

Old 07-25-2007, 12:57 PM
RC_Hobo

Thanks for the response - so to my list of parts to order with the car I have thought of the below (from site www.redcatracing.com/part_search):
02023 - Clutch Bell
02048 - Clutch Shoe with Spring
02028 - Air Filter
list of some motor mount and ball head screws
Obviously a starter kit with tools fuel bottle and glow plug igniter and charger
06052 - Front lower arm
06060 - front lower arm pins.

In the manual does it explain how set the clutch bell and transmission gears?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 PM
{GBI}Harryball

RC_Hobo go to allaboutfunhobbies.com and check his site out, you will find a wealth of stuff there. If your buggy has the upgraded clutch bell and shoes you will be fine. Put a magnet on the clutch bell if it sticks your fine. Its a good vehicle for money. Hard to beat.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 PM
zack221

Order extra steering knukles b/c they break pretty easily.Also the steering servo's arent to good so you may want to get a hitec 645mg b/c they are better and have metal gears.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:15 PM
RC_Hobo

Great thanks for the help guys - anything I am missing?

What about lock tight and glues used on tires etc?

Are there any other cars that even come close to this price point and performance? I am hoping to get my order in by the end of the week.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 05:48 PM
allenthen831

well i had a tornado bb and i had it for about 2 weeks and i didnt play with it till this day cause i would ALWAYS have some sort of problem but their good for someone who doesnt know anything they are doing yet but remember they say u get what u payed for i just got a tmaxxs havent tested it out yet but its worth the money and i bet less things will break then the redcat
Old 07-25-2007, 06:08 PM
123michael

allen mate u got a tmaxx lol cool man hope it all goes good for you mate i just got a new engiene for my car again lol i think it has polised piston ports inside that baby.so when was it your birthday or have u bought that your self? gereat man you are doing well mate
Old 07-25-2007, 06:16 PM
allenthen831

this is my birthday gift the tmaxxs its used but barely and it has an os 18 in it and more hoop ups and when my bday comes im gonna put more hop ups on it
Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 PM
RC_Hobo

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input.... I know to a degree you get what you pay for... but at the same time I need a low price starter car, like a Tornado... a couple people told me to look at Smartech cars as well, but haven't seen to many reviews.

Anyone else has feedback?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 01:22 AM
allenthen831

its a great car to start out with but then when you know what your doing u can upgrade to something bigger and durable and you can get named brands at your lhs with out a problem unlike redcat they dont sell the parts at the hobby store you have to buy them online you can get parts for your car at http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...rts/Categories from dennis hes a very good guy he stocks alot of parts you need for that car if he doesnt have it he will get it for you he also has very fast shipping