Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Monsoon Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:07 PM
vnmsgt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcats Monsoon Thread

ORIGINAL: mcraig8377

we have a monsoon truggy that we recently purchased and the steering keeps going out meaning after running it for while the steering pulls itself to the left and the steering will turn great to the left but when we try to turn it to right it just goes straight. is this the servo? and if so which servo should i get to replace it? if its not the servo then what could it be? WE WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION YOU COULD GIVE US!
I think your servo arm is stripped. Remove the servo arm that is attached to your steering servo and look at the teeth inside of it. I think you will see them flattened out or stripped. That will do what you are describing. Also once the stock servo goes you can get a good cheap replacement with a Hitec 645MG servo with about 140oz of torque for probably under 40 bucks. Best thing to do is get a aluminum servo arm and that will not happen again.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:43 PM
mcraig8377

you were right! THANKS! I ALSO HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION. our truggy came setup low to the ground what would be the correct procedure to raise it up ie for jumping so it does not bottomout? WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION ON THIS!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:42 PM
vnmsgt

2 ways. The easiest way is to use shock spacers to push the springs down on the shocks and it will raise the truck up and raise it the most. The other way to raise it up more is to put the shock in the lowest hole on the shock tower and the most inner hole in the A-arm.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:15 PM
mcraig8377

THANK YOU!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Redharris

Has Anyone come up with a Viable Fix for the Monsoon Steering Plate?
Mine will bend unless I land every Jump Perfectly. (That ain't gonna Happen!)

I tried the Steering Plate that Someone (RCLYNX ?) made for the Avalanche, but it didnt Fit my Monsoon, (or my Buddies Avalanche for that matter).
The Holes were all too large, causing a lot of SLOP in the steering. Went back to Stock.

If I cant fix the Steering Plate, then I am gonna sell it and Move on to a Different Truggy.

Its too bad really....Except for the Steering plate issue, the Monsoon is a very good Vehicle....Once you get some decent electronics into it..
Old 08-04-2008, 07:13 AM
ridgerunner1

Mine had also done that, check and make sure your servo saver isn't to tight it needs to give a little to tight things are going to break and bend.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 AM
ugly duck

Hey, Rich

Did you try the steering stop idea, using the longer bolts at the outside steering link? And the XTM steering plate didn't work? Which holes were too big? My Mammoth has done some SERIOUS cartwheeling in the time I've owned it, and the steering plate is still fine, so I know the XTM plate is strong. There's also a carbon plate for the XTM, so if you can make that fit, it would be another option. Have you tried recreating the plate in steel?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:05 AM
vnmsgt

That was the weakest point of the monsoon when I had it. I even tried redcats upgraded on that is thicker and it still bent. I used to just hit it back down with a punch in the middle and keep going. The Monsoon is almost identical to the Kyosho Inferno ST US Sports. You may want to look into that steering plate or even the ST-R one. Might need a slight mod but they will not bend.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:42 PM
mcraig8377

im having issues with the bottom steering arms breaking this is the third time it has done this getting a little expensive i seen that the exceed batalion has the same part # for this part and is half the price does anybody know if these parts from exceed will work on the monsoon would appreciate any help i can get on this subject!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:31 PM
amf66

Any part from the Exceed truggy will fit the Monsoon as they are exactly the same except for the exhaust, engine, body, and wheels. If the parts are cheaper I would get them from exceed.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:40 PM
mcraig8377

i appreciate that what do you think the problem is with the lower front arms snapping do you think i have to much lift IE spacer height in the front suspenssion?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:52 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: mcraig8377

i appreciate that what do you think the problem is with the lower front arms snapping do you think i have to much lift IE spacer height in the front suspenssion?
Front lower A-arms snapping??? I do not see how that would happen. My monsoon is the only truggy I ever had that never broke an arm and I ran it pretty hard at racetracks everyweek! What are you snapping exactly?? If you are bending your hinge pins during a crash and bending them back in a vice or something then they are too weak and will bend even more easy and snap an arm where the pin slides in.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 PM
mcraig8377

BOTTOM LINE NO CRASHES THE FRONT BOTTOM SUSSPENSION ARMS ARE COMING APART AND THIS IS JUST FLAT SPEED RUNS!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:25 PM
mcraig8377

WE LIFTED OUR SUSPENSION THINKING IT WOULD HELP WITH JUMPING BUT WE HAVE NOT GOT TO JUMP IT YET WE ARTE STILL DOING FLAT OUT TEST RUNS AND IT IE FRONTEND LOWER ARMS COME APART!
Old 08-06-2008, 06:06 AM
vnmsgt

Could you post pics to see how they are coming apart. Would be easier if people could see.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
mcraig8377

basically they are snapping at the rods that connect them at the bottom
Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 PM
{GBI}Harryball

Sounds like its breaking at the seem on the lower A- arm. Ive had this happen and couple of times, but only after hitting something.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 PM
mcraig8377

o well maybe just a bad batch of plastic
Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 AM
motodude11
My Feedback: (1)

maybe heat or cold related breakage?[&:]
Old 08-15-2008, 07:15 PM
leegil

How many people have had issues with the SH .28 engine wearing out quickly. Mine can not be restarted once it is ran till it cools completely. Too much slack in the piston and sleeve I have ran nitro RC's for at least 16 years now and this is the first one that has worn this early with only 3/4 of a gallon through it and never getting over 200 deg F. Who has the cheapest prices on a new piston and sleeve. Also has anyone tried any other motors in it? Anyone tried a .32?
Old 08-15-2008, 08:37 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: leegil

How many people have had issues with the SH .28 engine wearing out quickly. Mine can not be restarted once it is ran till it cools completely. Too much slack in the piston and sleeve I have ran nitro RC's for at least 16 years now and this is the first one that has worn this early with only 3/4 of a gallon through it and never getting over 200 deg F. Who has the cheapest prices on a new piston and sleeve. Also has anyone tried any other motors in it? Anyone tried a .32?
I had a axial .28 in mine and it was great. I still have my SH.28 engines from my redcats and love them. Never had a problem with them wearing out quickly. I just modded one and repinched it and am running it in my OCM Kaos Truggy. Awesome power.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:50 PM
leegil

Thanks. Does anybody know a good place to buy a new piston and sleeve other than Redcat?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:34 PM
ugly duck

Buy the XTM 457 Pro piston & sleeve from Hobbypeople.com. Fits right in, 3 more ports = 3 more awesomeness.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:07 PM
leegil

I decided to buy a new temperature gauge today from the local hobby shop. Come to find out my $80 automotive infrared temperature gun is not reading right. My new $25 Duratrax infrared temperature gauge is reading about 40-45 deg hotter so I tried a buddy of mine's little inexpensive temperature gun and sure enough it is reading close to the Duratrax gauge. So much for using the high priced gun it is now going to cost me a new piston and sleeve. I ordered a new XTM 457 Pro piston & sleeve so thanks ugly duck.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: ugly duck

Hey, Rich

Did you try the steering stop idea, using the longer bolts at the outside steering link? And the XTM steering plate didn't work? Which holes were too big? My Mammoth has done some SERIOUS cartwheeling in the time I've owned it, and the steering plate is still fine, so I know the XTM plate is strong. There's also a carbon plate for the XTM, so if you can make that fit, it would be another option. Have you tried recreating the plate in steel?
U.D.
Yah...I bought the XTM part. but ALL the holes drilled in were Larger diameter than the Holes in my Monsoon part. I dont know if that is due to the XTM part being out of spec or the Factory that makes the Monsoon changing design/parts mid Production.
I'm Actually thinking of Drilling the holes in a Steel plate and then cutting out the correct shape. It would be a lot of work for ME though, as I have access only to very Basic Machine Tooling.

Chris...
I might have to Try the Kyosho part; see if it can be made to fit. It irks me that it bends so easily, and I'm getting Tired of Dealing with it.
It's not like I'm Abusing the Truggy either. No Curb shots or HUGE AIR landings or anything of that nature.
If I could get a Solid Fix for this Problem, I would be Good to Go !.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.